IGNORED

Share your New Strokes Gained Data from GAME Golf!

iacas
Note: This thread is 2540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

I tag the first one because I mark, lift and clean. After that, there's the putting routine.

* crouch about six feet behind ball and read putt.

* walk putting line

* clean putting line removing any debris.

* pretend I know aimpoint

* pick the breakpoint of the putt

* select intermediate target. 

* re-line up putt to be sure, choose line which is usually the first one

* take three practice strokes

* approach ball & line up putter

* stroke putter.

* add body English if necessary

* if it goes in grab visor brim. if it misses act like I've been cheated (this will usually leave the 3-4 foot second putt from the 25 footer)

Are you going to remember to tag a club in that?

7 hours ago, iacas said:

I do. If it's the second putt, it's usually a tap-in, so I tap in, tag, and pull the ball out.

If it's a putt that requires attention, I tag when I get to the ball (do it when you're getting your AimPoint read if you have to).

5 hours ago, billchao said:

I usually tag my putt as soon as I get to the ball to mark it, or even when I don't bother to mark it, I'll tag as I'm standing over it waiting for someone else to putt.

I always tag before a read, unless it's just a tap-in, then I'll tag after I putt or sometimes I'll just tag when I put the flag back in after everyone is done.

It's really not that hard. Sometimes I'll tap twice thinking I forgot. It's easy to edit later.

1 hour ago, Dave2512 said:

Yep tag first then routine. It became part of my routine. Same for editing I have the time and shit that's the entire reason for using something like GG, to review a round. 

My routine is I go to the ball, figure out the slope using AimPoint, and then when I get back, I tag it right before I analyze the slope using my fingers and then do practice strokes, step to the ball, putt.  If I miss but it's not a tap in, rinse/repeat.  If it's a tap in, just tag it right before I tap it in.  If it goes in, be surprised and do a happy dance or fist pump. :ninja: 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, iacas said:

If it's the second putt, it's usually a tap-in, so I tap in, tag, and pull the ball out.

Yeah I try to do that same thing. Maybe about 1/4 of the time I'll have to add it after the round, I forget or the putt is a gimme and I just want to get out of the way.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Amazon is selling Game Golf for a Black Friday deal for $99.99 right now.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

Amazon is selling Game Golf for a Black Friday deal for $99.99 right now.

Just saw that, trying to figure out if that supports Strokes Gained or if you have to buy the new LIVE version.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Harp stein said:

Just saw that, trying to figure out if that supports Strokes Gained or if you have to buy the new LIVE version.

It supports it. That's a feature of the site, not the hardware. That's why everyone "got" Strokes Gained the other day, even if they've only ever used the free app to track their rounds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On December 10, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Dave2512 said:

Any news?

Yes.

News we can share just yet… no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've finally got enough rounds to really show a clear picture of things. 

My takeaway: my short game is not nearly as good as I thought it was, and my approach shots are much better that I thought they were.

GG_SG_1st10RDS.png

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

strokesgained.thumb.png.ad95be2fe86b7c20

Interesting - I'd certainly agree with off the tee and putting, but the Short Game stuff is often due to poor lies. I think it can improve, but it's not as much of a priority as off the tee or putting to my mind. Do I practise my lag putting enough? Probably not... As for off the tee, I'm constantly working on it, but it's very rare that I'm swinging well with all of them on the course. I could certainly be more specific with target practice on the range when practising for tee shots.

Either way, things to work on :-)

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Just a thought, would like to see these stats compared on the course total yards.

Myself, I golf with old guys some days and play the whites. On other days I golf with the Young Guns mainly at the Blue and sometimes the Black course on a dry/firm track.

So realistically, when I'm on the short course, my rounds are usually pretty good. On longer courses, I have decent rounds and a few ugly days.

strokes-gained.thumb.png.a4eb4892f33e703

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I have to admit that GG seems to do a lot more than Golflogix. One thing to note is that I am using the GPS on the Apple iPhone 6S Plus which seems to be pretty accurate. As far as the application is concerned, it would be nice to have the ability to store swing videos per stroke and measure swing speed like "PIQ"

I'll post again once I get another 9 half rounds in. . .

568fea2d776b2_NewBitmapImage(2).thumb.pn

I'm a little surprised that I only have 0.95 strokes needed and 1.46 strokes to be gained for tee and approach shots given my short tee shots yesterday and lousy approaches? I figured there are at least 10 strokes total to be gained. . .

Putting is skewed because 2 putts were from the fringe. Even so, it tells me that my putting needs just a little bit of work? How does that happen when I get 1.86 putts per hole?

Well, it will take at least 90 holes according to the guide, so, wait and see I guess?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

One full round, but the putting looks like a "glaring weakness"???

What I want to know is how the heck can a scratch player be that much better than 1.89 putts per hole?

SG.thumb.png.0e7965fe7b67c01453cba8f230e

I think it's a little bit optimistic about my approach shots and short game. I agree that I need work on my drive and longer tee shots. Maybe just do the "conscious back swing" thing I did today, only without pulling them into trees*** and the average will improve over time?

***3 times in 9 holes, yuck :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

14 minutes ago, Lihu said:

What I want to know is how the heck can a scratch player be that much better than 1.89 putts per hole?

The stats indicate the areas which you would need to perform to become equal to being a scratch potential player.

Scratch is just a level of measurement, scratch does not become better or worse.

On the other hand, example of a tour player who would win an event on tour, their putting stat may be in the minus for that event.

Game Golf users/amateurs, will see each categories fluctuate as our game fluctuates better or worse usually in small increments about the same as the Ghin Index changes.

Progress could be measured in other increments, just set a time table either monthly, a number of rounds, etc. Using an overall summary only builds an average. Game Golf gives the option for last ten rounds, etc. I am recording a snapshot file to use and view to compare progress.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:46 AM, Lihu said:

Putting is skewed because 2 putts were from the fringe.

When editing the round, putting off the green there is an option to indicate on that shot with a slider.

54 minutes ago, Lihu said:

One full round, but the putting looks like a "glaring weakness"???

SG.thumb.png.0e7965fe7b67c01453cba8f230e

I think it's a little bit optimistic about my approach shots and short game. I agree that I need work on my drive and longer tee shots. Maybe just do the "conscious back swing" thing I did today, only without pulling them into trees*** and the average will improve over time?

***3 times in 9 holes, yuck :-P

http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/10706070-strokes-gained-overview-feature-improvements

For a direct line to GG, there's this link above. Erik is also speaking directly with them where some TST members here are helping to advise them on things that we are gleaning from this thread (and our own experiences). I think it's fair to say thus far that they are working on kinks as the strokes gained idea gets rolled out. 

From the GG thread on this topic, I see people a bit curious about the precision of initial putt lengths. My gut is that is a correct place to start regarding the info they are spitting out for these charts for putting. Strokes Gained is such a simple mathematical concept (just plug and chug), and we are seeing enough discrepancies with Strokes Gained Putting that it must be a problem of Garbage In/Garbage Out. People want to have a way to specify their initial putt in feet, but the interface doesn't seem to support that very effectively yet.

@Lihu, if you go back and look at the rounds, do the initial putt distances look perfect? As you know, Putts/Round won't tell you much if all of your putts are short, for example. If your round shows you that you had all 5 footers, and you had 1.89 putts/hole, then you lost strokes. If you had all 30 footers, you gained strokes.  Unless they've botched the formula (very unlikely), it simply must be that the initial putt distances are off. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

27 minutes ago, RandallT said:

@Lihu, if you go back and look at the rounds, do the initial putt distances look perfect? As you know, Putts/Round won't tell you much if all of your putts are short, for example. If your round shows you that you had all 5 footers, and you had 1.89 putts/hole, then you lost strokes. If you had all 30 footers, you gained strokes.  Unless they've botched the formula (very unlikely), it simply must be that the initial putt distances is off. 

No, in fact the GPS tells me exactly where I am to like a yard or so, but for some reason the putt does not end up "originating" from that point? It also seems to always use the center of the green as the assumed hole position?

BTW, I am very impressed with the GG application and the accuracy with the iPhone 6S plus in terms of where I am and where it thinks I am. I can walk up to a bunker and it shows where I am around that bunker to a very high degree of accuracy. My partners are impressed by the accuracy when used as a rangefinder. It finds the center of the green of course, but it also tells the front/back distances from the approach line. Very nice!

On top of this with my iPhone 6S plus, half a round used less than 5% of the battery. A full round would probably use only 10% at most?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!