IGNORED

Did you ever play with steel spikes?

Note: This thread is 3045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Steel Spikes  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Did you ever play with steel spikes?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If so, do you miss them?

• I miss them.
    • I don't miss them.
    • I never played with steel spikes so I can't vote in the second question.

I played in metal spikes form the late 1960s (when I started) until courses in Texas and Oklahoma started forced changeover in 1998 or so.

I prefer the metal spikes in wet weather or unusually hilly courses because they hold better. But, they could be rough on your feet. In my last month in metals, I played 36 holes one day down in Lawton, Oklahoma, walking. The temperature was about 95°, but the breeze was cool and the day nice - and the clay soil was hard!

I got through 27 holes OK, but had to take a cart for the final nine. I had the energy to walk, but my feet and ankles were swollen from the pounding of the metal spikes into the turf. I was walking tenderly for a couple of days due to bruised feet.

But, the early nubbie spikes had a drawback - not much traction. I was taking a golf lesson in spring 1999, working on my weight shift, when my left foot slipped and I did a standing split. Result was a torn groin muscle - could not exercise at all for six weeks. I went out and got the most aggressive soft spikes I could find after that.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since I didn't play golf for the last 20 years all my golf shoes had metal spikes.  There weren't any other.

Since starting back up this summer, I've found that cross training shoes are very comfortable and give plenty of traction.  I walk and my feet don't bother me at all.  They're cheaper too.

Later,

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

I had spikes a long time ago.  Nowadays I use cross trainers or hockey/cricket shoes.  Find them more comfortable but really good metal spikes are useful for grip in wet/slippery conditions.  In the dry, any sneakers will do.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Played with metal spikes for years, that's all they had when I started playing golf.  Don't miss them at all.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Yup, played with them for years.  My first pair were from the Montgomery Ward catalog.  Went out to play my first round in them.  Made it to about the 5th hole and the spikes felt like they were going into my feet.  Barely made it to the 9th.  Tossed the shoes in the trash as soon as I got home.

Moving forward, wore metal until forced to go soft-spikes a few years later.  Aside from the ease of cleaning, don't miss metal at all.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I played for about the first 5 years of my golfing career in spikes. Even when many of the courses begun the mandatory switch the course I worked and played at did not make the transition a requirement. The owner loved his spikes and poo poo-ed the idea that soft spikes were better. Of course now it is really hard to buy regular spikes anymore.

The early soft spikes were awful. The only ones we could get were these swirls that fit where the old spike went. They were worse than playing in tennis shoes. Today's shoes are pretty good, and I hardly notice myself slipping any more. During the first part of the transition I felt I was slipping a lot. 

I liked how they sounded on concrete and I do miss that. I hated replacing them. I don't miss that.

On November 22, 2015 at 4:17:41 PM, Club Rat said:

One other joy was trying to replace the spikes with tool used years ago. One end was used to repair ball marks and the other end for twisting the spikes out. Spikes had threads which usually rusted and removing them sometimes was a B !!!

Most needed to be replaced yearly as they wore down to just a nub about 1/8" long. You could tell when they were worn, the heel would slip easily when making your swing.

Yeah, I don't miss this. Finding the tool, getting all the grass out. Pain in the butt. Someone invented a tool that I could put on the end of my electric drill and that did make things better, but it was still a pain in the rear end.

• Upvote 1

Michael

I played for years with steel spikes until they virtually became banned everywhere. At first I was upset believing I'd slip in the new softspikes. When that didn't happen I simply became used to the new spikes. At the time most all shoes had normal threaded spikes that needed to be re-tightened frequently. I don't miss that aspect. The new fast-twist (or similar styles) pretty much lock in and stay.

I played with them for many years, Liked the sound, I liked the way fresh spikes felt stabilizing your stance, Too many people didn't pick their feet up when walking including on the greens and left them gouged,  but I have still seen marks on greens today left by scuffers.  Lee Trevino, after two lightning strikes, highly recommended removing them in the rain.  One of the pleasures of golf used to be taking the spikes OFF after a round.   There is no doubt soft spikeless  are more comfortable. . I have 2 pair of spikeless nubs from ashworth  Cardiff and they are great, I also have a foot-joy soft spike which I wear in wet weather for some gripping

I'm another old guy, I played with metal spikes for 20 years or more.  I can't say I've missed them, but the talk of the sound of spikes on concrete makes me think back to the old days.  Talking about sounds, how many of you walk and carry your bag, and get that nice "clack" sound of the irons bumping each other with every step?

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Another old guy.  I used them and I don't miss them. 

I gave them up before soft spikes appeared on the scene.  It happened when I forgot the spikes and just played in my running shoes.  I liked the running shoes better and no longer used the steel spikes.

Modern golf shoes are so much more comfortable to me.

I played with steel spikes from 1959 when I was twelve or thirteen to whenever my club and the other courses prohibited them.

I miss them a lot.

Those old golf shoes provided support back when I walked the course, and they also provided a much firmer foundation to swing hard or to follow your own swing when you play the ball left in your stance.   

The modern shoes are comfortable, especially if you ride, and they force the player to swing smoothly or fall on his ass.  They're not all bad.  But if steel spikes were allowed again, I'd go back to them in a minute

• Upvote 1

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I never tried steel spikes, but I picture them making my ankles a bit sore after playing enough golf. I know that in my swing my back foot needs to twist to get to the finish and I imagine that a grippier steel spike would only provide greater resistance to that motion.

I loved that sound too.  Hard to explain I guess. But the Ski boot comparison is exactly right. With the new athletic shoes out there my feet survive much better every round.

I think the new soft spikes are just as hard on the turf as old steel spikes.  Dragging your feet is bad either way but the softies have a much bigger surface area and do as much if not more damage.

I am now migrating away from wing tip style and headed to the more athletic looking shoes.  I have a pair of New Balance spikeless that I use for practice and casual rounds.  LOve them and as soon as I need new ones I will pick up the soft spiked version,

Didn't start playing until mid 2000's so never had a chance in Golf. But had metal spikes for my cricket bowling shoes growing up, for which you run up and pitch the ball similar to a javelin throw.

For a golf shoe, I always thought the added grip of a metal spike enabled one to overuse hips for power. Not just ankles, but knees and hip joints hate them too..  

Vishal S.

21 hours ago, trombettista_vecchio said:

I played with steel spikes from 1959 when I was twelve or thirteen to whenever my club and the other courses prohibited them.

I miss them a lot.

Those old golf shoes provided support back when I walked the course, and they also provided a much firmer foundation to swing hard or to follow your own swing when you play the ball left in your stance.   

The modern shoes are comfortable, especially if you ride, and they force the player to swing smoothly or fall on his ass.  They're not all bad.  But if steel spikes were allowed again, I'd go back to them in a minute

I also would go back to them in a minute if the courses I played would allow it. With the technology the shoe industry has today, I have no doubt in my mind, that they could make a golf shoe with steel spikes. That would be every bit as comfortable as the shoes with soft spikes or no spikes. 

Edited by Natural Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

I played steels 10 maybe 13 years until the mandatory switch over. I agree with another poster that the early softspikes sucked (those swirly models), so I was a bit pissed for the first bunch of years until the spider type spikes came out. I still think that steel provides better grip in wet conditions. Also, I have always walked, and I don't ever remember my steel FJs hurting or being uncomfortable...

dak4n6

I played with steel spikes for many years.... Then, one day after a couple years off of golf.... I strapped on the spikes and headed to the course to play a round and blow the dust off my game. I was quickly stopped before entering the clubhouse saying that I couldn't play with those spikes. I was in complete surprise finding out that the game of golf technology had moved on without me. I played that round in my sneakers.

Dave

Note: This thread is 3045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!