IGNORED

Weight Lifting and Golf

Goldy49
Note: This thread is 982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, JCrane said:

but to say everyone should be doing it and it is not risky is nonsense and I hope no one has to learn that lesson the hard way like I did.

No one has said this.  That said, your point is well-taken, if not obvious, that it is not for everyone.  People with particular physical issues should be very careful, but so should everyone.  A program should be undertaken with conformity to proper form and steady progress over time--no hero lifts to screw up yourself. 

Nonetheless, I assumed safety was a given as the nature of powerlifting seems apparent.

15 minutes ago, JCrane said:

Connective strength

Can also be done with drop sets or burnouts at lower percentage of your max too.

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

No one has said this.  That said, your point is well-taken, if not obvious, that it is not for everyone.  People with particular physical issues should be very careful, but so should everyone.  A program should be undertaken with conformity to proper form and steady progress over time--no hero lifts to screw up yourself. 

Nonetheless, I assumed safety was a given as the nature of powerlifting seems apparent.

Can also be done with drop sets or burnouts at lower percentage of your max too.

no one has said that ? I would disagree as I read the posts.  

Obvious ? no it is not obvious. Once again as I read the posts,I don't see any words of caution  and that is why I posted my comments. No, safety is never a given. It is something that needs to be brought up consistently.

It is essential in my opinion to add a stretching program to any workout that includes heavy weights. Those are my thoughts. Thanks for posting

23 minutes ago, JCrane said:

no one has said that ? I would disagree as I read the posts.

Quote a post then.  You're adding facts that are not present.  Read more carefully.

Obvious ? no it is not obvious.

Lifting heavy weights being dangerous is not obvious?  What part of that is not obvious?  Putting a loaded barbell on your back or above your head, etc. is not obviously potentially dangerous?  C'mon man.

Once again as I read the posts,I don't see any words of caution  and that is why I posted my comments. No, safety is never a given. It is something that needs to be brought up consistently.

Because I owe no duty to give words of caution to any one here.  I'm assuming I'm conversing with reasonably intelligent adults, particularly ones with interest in lifting since this is the title of this thread.

It is essential in my opinion to add a stretching program to any workout that includes heavy weights. Those are my thoughts. Thanks for posting

I agree.  I never disputed this.  Again, read carefully.

Edited by ncates00

LOL The tittle of this thread  is " weightlifting and golf " which says nothing about it being geared toward people interested in lifting or it being pro or con 

but i will leave you with an old saying. A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

14 hours ago, JCrane said:

" weightlifting and golf " which says nothing about it being geared toward people interested in lifting

You're right, and your logic skills, as well as reading skills, are on fire.   🤔🤦‍♂️

On 1/31/2020 at 4:13 PM, ncates00 said:

Ok?  So do some yoga, use balance/stability balls, dance, or swing a golf club.  Lifting doesn't detract from balance.  Get under a loaded barbell often enough and you'll learn balance.  Or are you the one who keeps curling in the squat rack?  🙂 

No one is saying don't do those things--you've built a strawman I'm afraid.  As with anything in life, we are dealing with finite humans with only so much time in a day.  A person should choose to spend the time in how they see fit.  If a person is not strong, get stronger.  If a person needs better flexibility, get more flexible.  This is not a one way or the other; you can incorporate some good training blocks into your fitness as you see fit or as time allows.  

My point was not that lifting doesn't help (I lift 6 days a week and it does wonders for my game). Does absolute strength improve you game? For the most part yes. Do dynamic lifts help more? Also yes. If you have limited motion you can improve you swing by increasing your range of motion. But static stretching is only part of the equation.

If you look at PGA top performers the do stretch, the do straight line controlled lifts but they also do mobility drills and dynamic lifts.My point was to look at the weaknesses in your physical approach. Just like you look at your strokes gained/lost to determine where you can have the most impact, the same is true with fitness.

2 hours ago, criley4way said:

My point was not that lifting doesn't help (I lift 6 days a week and it does wonders for my game). Does absolute strength improve you game? For the most part yes. Do dynamic lifts help more? Also yes. If you have limited motion you can improve you swing by increasing your range of motion. But static stretching is only part of the equation.

If you look at PGA top performers the do stretch, the do straight line controlled lifts but they also do mobility drills and dynamic lifts.My point was to look at the weaknesses in your physical approach. Just like you look at your strokes gained/lost to determine where you can have the most impact, the same is true with fitness.

Great advice excellent post !

I lift weights to help keep my blood glucose levels down.

Walking my dog helps in that regard as well because I usually ride on the course..

Don't know whether it does anything for my golf or not, though.

No idea.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2020 at 3:02 PM, ncates00 said:

In my 23 years of teaching and doing  exercise programs, I have found that many people do not know what is safe for them because they have not learned to listen to their bodies. Most of the time newbies watch others and think if they can not do what others can do they are failing. Of course we know that is not true. 

I was just in the whirlpool last week. I have just restarted a swim program. I went and did a few laps and came back to the whirlpool. The gentleman in the pool said to me " that did not take you long" I told him I was starting slow and he shared an experience with me how he went back to the weights after some time off. and tried to get back to his old numbers too quickly and messed up his shoulder for months. 

I believe anyone can get hurt at anytime if they are not focused on how their body is responding to that particular exercise at that particular time.     

Thanks for posting !

Especially as you get older! I just turned 40. I've always been fit and active. It's just in the past couple years I've noticed the real step change in recovery. For example, my wife randomly got super excited about skateboarding ("Like skiing but free and right outside!"). I'm always down to take up fun new physical hobbies so I joined in. I've been obsessively trying to learn how to ollie. Turns out doing teeter totter squat jumps over and over again is easier for 12 year olds than 40 year olds :-D I'm trying to learn from Brady and have been doing lots of vibrating rolling on my achilles, calves, and hip flexors!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

28 minutes ago, mdl said:

Especially as you get older! I just turned 40. I've always been fit and active. It's just in the past couple years I've noticed the real step change in recovery. For example, my wife randomly got super excited about skateboarding ("Like skiing but free and right outside!"). I'm always down to take up fun new physical hobbies so I joined in. I've been obsessively trying to learn how to ollie. Turns out doing teeter totter squat jumps over and over again is easier for 12 year olds than 40 year olds :-D I'm trying to learn from Brady and have been doing lots of vibrating rolling on my achilles, calves, and hip flexors!

yes, I am coming out with a program for golfers over 50 and may have Sandtrap become a sponsor . The body changes over time as we age and we have to change with it. We can still challenge it but have to change our thinking. We can still lift weights but the goal of seeing how much we lift is a receipt for injury. 

I am 71 and my definition for building strength is no  longer about building muscle but is more about building what I call connective strength, that is getting the muscle groups to work together as a unit and dynamically because that is how the body works. I like 50 because it is around that time when most people are willing to change because what worked for their younger body no longer serves them.

Thanks for posting !

Note: This thread is 982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!