Goldy49

Weight Lifting and Golf

40 posts / 13136 viewsLast Reply

In 2016 I lost about 80 pounds of fat by lifting 5x a week.  My current routine has me doing a Pull/Push/Legs/Upper/Lower split.  3 of those days my workouts begin by preforming deadlifts, squats, and bench press.  I've never been good at golf and historically my practice has pretty inconsistent.  This year I've been really neglectful of my practice and even though I've played less I feel my swing is immensely better, the ball is going further, and even though my scores have remained the same, I feel as though my game is better.  I'm not particularly muscular but, at least for me, being fit and gaining muscle has certainly not hindered my game.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I think it is likely that weight training improves your distance.  That is true in my own experience as well.

But I think I have figure out what it is about lifting days that hoses my game.  It is the gripping of the bars at the gym.  My forearms get tired from it, and it reduces the amount my wrists turn over in the downswing.  That in turn causes too much fade - and I do not know how to correct it except not to lift and then golf on the same day.

It took me a long time to figure this one out because I do not do any labor at all for my job.  The hardest grip I have to do is a pen or a car door.  It does not even matter which body parts I work, except legs which do not involve gripping a bar in the same way.  I do not know if tired legs have any effect.

You have been warned.

Deadlifts and squats are two of the best core exercises there are.  Just think about how important the core is in the golf swing. @mvmac pretty much hit it with this being a myth. All you have to do is look at the top guys on tour. I would doubt that any of them "don't" workout. It takes a real plan and a lot of effort to get too muscular to swing a golf club efficiently. I would bet that a lack of mobility work would hinder it much more than lifting weights.

Edited by TN94z

7 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

But I think I have figure out what it is about lifting days that hoses my game.  It is the gripping of the bars at the gym.  My forearms get tired from it, and it reduces the amount my wrists turn over in the downswing.  That in turn causes too much fade - and I do not know how to correct it except not to lift and then golf on the same day.

Or, if you're lifting before a tee time, lift less weight -- you'll still benefit from what you do.  I'd hold off on this until before a less important round, in case I'm wrong about it.