IGNORED

Your Day with the (Newport) Cup! (2015 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

When a hockey team wins the Stanley Cup, the Cup itself is given to each player for a 24-hour period. During that time, players have been known to host parties, drink from the cup, celebrate quietly at home, photograph their children sleeping in the cup, etc. Some stories are crazy, some pretty tame and family-oriented… but all are somewhat unique.

We're going to do something similar with the Newport Cup. @Club Rat is going to solder the handle, and he'll have the first "day" with the Cup. He'll take pictures AND post about it here in this thread.

The Newport Cup will then be mailed or handed off to the next Red/West Coast Team member, until it gets to @mvmac, where he can celebrate his day with the Cup. He'll then mail it to a Blue/East Coast team member, and it will eventually wind up with me, where I'll have my day with the Cup.

This thread… well quite honestly I hope it's a lot of fun. Before you get the cup, or even if you didn't participate in the Newport Cup this time around, you can start to throw out suggestions or ideas for what you or others should do with their special day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just don't do what the 1924 Habs did and leave it by the roadside.

They were on their way to a party, got a flat and had to take the cup out of the trunk to change the tire. They forgot to put the Cup back into the trunk. Luckily it was still there when they got back.

I think I'm the next closest member to @Club Rat, so I cant wait for my day with the Newport Cup!

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Whoa! Awesome..!

I will do as any truegreatchampion would....

I promise to treat it with dignity and respect even though by the time I will receive her, she will have been passed around amongst many in rather short duration of amorous activities :-D.

I will run a victory lap around in my house with it.. Thank the sponsors, organizers, wife, kids... you name it. Photo ops galore!!

Sanitize, shine and drink champagne out of it...  then sanitize, shine and pass it along to the next truegreatchampion if I am not the last.

Vishal S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Okay, @Club Rat… let's see you have Your Day with the Cup, and then you can choose a red team member to send it to next. Let's get this thing going!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It will be repaired soon, I had to order a new part last week for my soldering equipment which should be delivered this week.

Kyle jumped on first dibs, Congrats. I'll post when the repair is complete.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

God may have "Saved the Queen" but Club Rat has Saved the Newport Cup !!!

Ever wonder what a big Glob of Silver look's like. Bet it never crossed anyone mind, but the thought has been on my mind since I offered to repair the Cup. I'm so relieved all went well today, whew !!!

After a lengthy operation procedure this morning, I am happy to announce the broken handle is now soldered intact and looking good once again. It's a beautiful day and I am being summoned by the golf gods requesting my presence at the course, along with many golf buddies who will be attempting to lighten my wallet this afternoon.

I still have to polish the repaired area and will be posting photos of "My Day with the Cup" very soon.

49 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

After a lengthy operation procedure this morning, I am happy to announce the broken handle is now soldered intact and looking good once again. 

:banana::banana::banana:

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Good to hear! Let's get this thing rolling so we can wrap it up before the 2017 Newport Cup!

My day with the Cup.

I was fortunate to be the first person to have possession of the NewPort Cup. It naturally had its place on the mantle alongside other golf awards which my wife and I have won. Just its mere presence, reminded me daily of the great time I had being a participant of the TST – 2015, NewPort Cup.  

But, there was sadly something wrong with this coveted prize, the handle had been taped and needed to be mended. I had several thoughts and ideas and knew I should attempt to bring the Cup back to its glorious presence it resembles. My first thought was the almighty Super Glue, no way Jose I thought. Having been a metal fabricator my entire life, with extensive experience in repair and fabricating of many various alloy metals, surely a simple Silver Trophy could not present a difficult task. But it’s Silver? It’s a horse of a different color, it’s so delicate, it might probably melt like butter. What if I F it up. So, I thought about it, read about it, spoke about. I called friends, a jeweler, looked for ideas on the internet. I even asked my Wife…. Then the moment came, I needed to ask Erik if I could attempt to solder the Cup.

Never knowing what to expect from Erik, he immediately announces Club Rat will repair the Cup. Now I’m really under the gun, what if  "I F it up". The instant drama develops as my mind starts to race of thoughts of what ifs. Silver is so delicate, so soft, so thin. A slight mistake, too much heat, a slip of the torch and the unimaginable destruction of the Cup could occur in a heartbeat. I needed to practice on something to see how Silver reacts to heat. Honey where is that silver baby spoon your great, great grandmother passed down to you, I thought? No way Jose, not a chance in H. Ok, my tools are older than dirt, I need a new soldering iron with a small pencil tip to get the job done, right….

Cup2.thumb.JPG.f9ec468596e6dd7878d82f2d2

The day of reckoning approaches, I calmly pick up the soldering iron and my hand immediately begins to shake. I rest my hand on a support as I begin to delicately solder the Cup on one side. Amazingly the silver begins to flow, effortlessly.  An hour later, the handle is now repaired and it brings a smile to my face. A little round file here and there, followed with hand sanding around the handle, and a buff-buff there, o’ my. The Cup now is revived to its full glory and my day with the Cup has ended.

Cup4_edited.thumb.jpg.c59a4aa2ffa3231669Julie_edited.thumb.jpg.df7f22ca55c608981

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Club Rat said:

My day with the Cup.

I was fortunate to be the first person to have possession of the NewPort Cup. It naturally had its place on the mantle alongside other golf awards which my wife and I have won. Just its mere presence, reminded me daily of the great time I had being a participant of the TST – 2015, NewPort Cup.  

But, there was sadly something wrong with this coveted prize, the handle had been taped and needed to be mended. I had several thoughts and ideas and knew I should attempt to bring the Cup back to its glorious presence it resembles. My first thought was the almighty Super Glue, no way Jose I thought. Having been a metal fabricator my entire life, with extensive experience in repair and fabricating of many various alloy metals, surely a simple Silver Trophy could not present a difficult task. But it’s Silver? It’s a horse of a different color, it’s so delicate, it might probably melt like butter. What if I F it up. So, I thought about it, read about it, spoke about. I called friends, a jeweler, looked for ideas on the internet. I even asked my Wife…. Then the moment came, I needed to ask Erik if I could attempt to solder the Cup.

Never knowing what to expect from Erik, he immediately announces Club Rat will repair the Cup. Now I’m really under the gun, what if  "I F it up". The instant drama develops as my mind starts to race of thoughts of what ifs. Silver is so delicate, so soft, so thin. A slight mistake, too much heat, a slip of the torch and the unimaginable destruction of the Cup could occur in a heartbeat. I needed to practice on something to see how Silver reacts to heat. Honey where is that silver baby spoon your great, great grandmother passed down to you, I thought? No way Jose, not a chance in H. Ok, my tools are older than dirt, I need a new soldering iron with a small pencil tip to get the job done, right….

Cup2.thumb.JPG.f9ec468596e6dd7878d82f2d2

The day of reckoning approaches, I calmly pick up the soldering iron and my hand immediately begins to shake. I rest my hand on a support as I begin to delicately solder the Cup on one side. Amazingly the silver begins to flow, effortlessly.  An hour later, the handle is now repaired and it brings a smile to my face. A little round file here and there, followed with hand sanding around the handle, and a buff-buff there, o’ my. The Cup now is revived to its full glory and my day with the Cup has ended.

Cup4_edited.thumb.jpg.c59a4aa2ffa3231669Julie_edited.thumb.jpg.df7f22ca55c608981

Fabulous job @Club Rat

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The Cup is on the journey. It's now in the hands of the USPS and heavily insured...

566f57db99429_TheJourney.thumb.jpg.e0747

2 hours ago, Club Rat said:

The Cup is on the journey. It's now in the hands of the USPS and heavily insured...

566f57db99429_TheJourney.thumb.jpg.e0747

As an interesting side experiment, we get to observe how the box gets "handled" through the entire process. I hope somebody is getting paid for by USPS for quality control testing ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Sweet! Did you get a closeup of the repaired area before/after?

I'm not sure how much of the cup was silver, either… It wasn't a $20 trophy, but it wasn't a $2,000 trophy either… :-)

• Administrator

Where's it headed now?

He said way up there that Kyle was next in line. 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Sweet! Did you get a closeup of the repaired area before/after?

I'm not sure how much of the cup was silver, either… It wasn't a $20 trophy, but it wasn't a $2,000 trophy either… :-)

Yep, got pics.  The Cup is on its way to Kyle. These are the before pics. I didn't get a pic of the tape job, pulled the tape off and said shit.....

I recall you posted a pic of it in the beginning of the NewPort Cup thread. I'll post the after pics. Not to brag, the Cup is looking good, really good..... All polished up and cleaned up.

I also thought about having the past history engraved on the Cup. But, wanted to get it on its way so Kyle could enjoy Christmas with the Cup. I was going to wrap it and put a bow on it, but didn't have a box the similar size to pack it in.

Cup1.thumb.JPG.bdeabc933626003adf08e4060Cup5.thumb.JPG.15c5586c441092b7651cf49a3

Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!