IGNORED

World Handicap System Now Out (2020)

iacas

Not sure anyone will know this as it might be app specific.....I have the Golf Canada app so always posted my scores there. However, this year I didnt pay for my club so membership expired a few days ago. I'm not sure I will do the public player route this year. Not sure I see the value....

I still enter my scores in the app anyway though as I like the app for record keeping. Would my scores entered still count for PCC measurement?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I've had 5 unusually good rounds in June and have noticed two things:

1. Stating the obvious, since it is now best of 8 instead of 10 your handicap can move down much faster than before.
  2. My handicap is now .4 better than it was under the old system - that's the highest differential I've seen so far.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, gbogey said:

Stating the obvious, since it is now best of 8 instead of 10 your handicap can move down much faster than before.

It can. In reality it doesn’t much. No 0.96 either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 6/22/2020 at 3:45 PM, cutchemist42 said:

Would my scores entered still count for PCC measurement?

It may take a week or a month before the USGA system Admin removes your Membership.
I doubt the software program will remove you from the system automatically.

You can check your score history to see if they are entered into the system.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

20 hours ago, gbogey said:

...So I've had 5 unusually good rounds in June...

At what point does the "unusual" become the "usual"?  Get used to being a "4" and update your "Profile" index! 😉

Brian Kuehn

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

At what point does the "unusual" become the "usual"?  Get used to being a "4" and update your "Profile" index! 😉

I'll update to "6" since that's where I've been most of the two years.  Let's see how July plays out before believing that today's 4.4 isn't a fluke.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean not that it matters because I only use it for myself. But my handicap after my last round, the grint rated at 15.6 replaced a round rated at 19.0 the other seven scores remained the same and my handicap moved up from a 16.5 to a 16.8. Dont know much about the handicap system just wondering if this is normal and something else is involved. 

1 hour ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

I mean not that it matters because I only use it for myself. But my handicap after my last round, the grint rated at 15.6 replaced a round rated at 19.0 the other seven scores remained the same and my handicap moved up from a 16.5 to a 16.8. Dont know much about the handicap system just wondering if this is normal and something else is involved. 

All handicaps take the best 8 of your last 20 rounds, TheGrint included.    Look at the differentials, you'll probably see that the new one replaced a lower score of the 8.   That's why your handicap moved from 16.5 to 16.8.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

Yes something else is involved. Your handicap should not have increased when one of the used scores decreased. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

The Grint uses some 2019 scores differently and has a few issues with nine-hole scores.

Get a GHIN number.

I have an eClub.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

The Grint uses some 2019 scores differently and has a few issues with nine-hole scores.

Get a GHIN number.

I have an eClub.

Do you have to start fresh or can you put in back logged scores? Also is there a link to the eclub thing by chance. 

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

Do you have to start fresh or can you put in back logged scores? Also is there a link to the eclub thing by chance. 

It's more a matter of the Grint kind of having a bug in how they're calculating some things, I think.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It's more a matter of the Grint kind of having a bug in how they're calculating some things, I think.

Yeah I think so as well, last night it told me I was trending to 16.1 which the averages equal out to, but today it was 16.8. Like i said not really a big deal because it's just for me to look at, but was just wondering if anyone had that happen before. Only matches I play that matter are some money matches with buddies. 

• 1 month later...

Looking to confirm my understanding of the new handicap system.  On my home course yesterday Hole #6 was having a tree removed near the tee area and they moved the tees forward @ 52 yards (closer to the "Yellow").  In the past I would think that messes up the handicap.  But with the new system and daily adjustments I believe that would get accounted for by multiple players submitting scores.  This is a heavily played municipal course so I hope there are a fair number of players that would post scores.

Am I correct that this should be accounted for in the new system?

Is there anywhere on GHIN were we can see the number of scores posted on a given day for a specific course?

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

59 minutes ago, StuM said:

Looking to confirm my understanding of the new handicap system.  On my home course yesterday Hole #6 was having a tree removed near the tee area and they moved the tees forward @ 52 yards (closer to the "Yellow").  In the past I would think that messes up the handicap.  But with the new system and daily adjustments I believe that would get accounted for by multiple players submitting scores.  This is a heavily played municipal course so I hope there are a fair number of players that would post scores.

Am I correct that this should be accounted for in the new system?

Is there anywhere on GHIN were we can see the number of scores posted on a given day for a specific course?

@StuM changes like that would affect Course Rating, but if it's only for day due to repair damaged with fallen tree, for me it's common sense that it's not even necessary to call the National or Local Association responsible for rating to make temporary changes that affect Course Rating. The course for the day, will be played fairly the same for everyone, it's kinda common sense that it's a rare situation that occur with golf courses maintenance, no need to change the numbers for a while, THAT'S MY OPINION as RATER.

If the changes will affect for a while see what section 5 of 2016-17USGA Course Rating Manual Says, and due to WHS changes I'm sure this is still being used, since you will notice it mentions 5-2g and I'm not able to find if that's still available since we have a new Rules of Handicap Book.

5. MODIFICATION OF COURSES

a. Temporary Changes

When temporary tees and/or greens are used, the club must notify the authorized golf association.

The authorized golf association will decide whether scores made under those conditions are to be

accepted for handicap purposes, and whether the USGA Course Rating and Slope Rating should

be modified temporarily. The club has a responsibility to notify its members that when a hole is

not played due to construction, the score for that hole must be par plus any handicap strokes the

player is entitled to on that hole.

When a course is using a temporary green (that is not an alternate permanent green), the club

should be advised to inform the players to post par plus any handicap strokes the player is entitled

to receive on that hole. The par plus method should also be used when a course rotates the holes

being renovated so that the course changes many times over the length of the renovation.

If temporary tees are being used or an alternate permanent green is being used, the authorized golf

association should recommend the following:

• If the overall change in yardage is minimal (less than 100 yards) it may be possible to adjust

tees on holes not being modified to keep the approximate overall yardage the same. This will

not require a temporary rating to be issued.

• If the modification will last two months or less, the authorized golf association should use

Section 5-2g of “The USGA Handicap System” to calculate a temporary USGA Course Rating

and Slope Rating.

• If the modification will last more than two months, the authorized golf association should

change the yardages used in the calculation of the USGA Course Rating and Bogey Rating

while still using the obstacle rating values previously determined by the rating team to

calculate a temporary USGA Course Rating and Slope Rating.

b. Permanent Changes

The club must notify the authorized golf association when permanent changes are made to the

course. Permanent changes to the course require the authorized golf association to review the

current USGA Course Rating and Slope Rating and to determine whether a re-rating is necessary.

PAGE 18 | COURSE RATING MANUAL

That's it, my opinion, if you can explain better how long will be played from that tees.

Best regards, enjoy the game! 

Putter Odyssey DF550 , DRIVER SRIXON Z765, Irons Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, Hybrid 2 Taylormade Rescue TP,Hybrid 3 Taylormade Rescue, Hybrid 4 PING G30, 52º Titleist DCI BeCu Wedge, 56º Taylormade Rac TP

Maurício Costenaro Sato, member of Brazilian Golf Confederation Athletes Committee, rater

I was looking up information about a temporary rating for a new set of tees that my club is adding.  While doing so, I came across this info that seems to answer your situation, under Modification of Courses, Temporary Changes:

"For differences under 100 yards (100 metres), no adjustment is necessary and scores can be submitted as usual"  usga.org, Appendix G

The PCC (Playing Conditions Calculation) you mention might pick up the changes, too.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Southern by Choice said:

I was looking up information about a temporary rating for a new set of tees that my club is adding.  While doing so, I came across this info that seems to answer your situation, under Modification of Courses, Temporary Changes:

"For differences under 100 yards (100 metres), no adjustment is necessary and scores can be submitted as usual"  usga.org, Appendix G

The PCC (Playing Conditions Calculation) you mention might pick up the changes, too.

You helped me better about the new book, I still have doubts if the other manuals were dismissed. PCC might not be changed by the course playing short, but how people played on that day, and as all everybody says is math that the system will calculate.

Putter Odyssey DF550 , DRIVER SRIXON Z765, Irons Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, Hybrid 2 Taylormade Rescue TP,Hybrid 3 Taylormade Rescue, Hybrid 4 PING G30, 52º Titleist DCI BeCu Wedge, 56º Taylormade Rac TP

Maurício Costenaro Sato, member of Brazilian Golf Confederation Athletes Committee, rater

Mauricio, you are probably much better informed than I since you act as a RATER.  (I tried taking the online course to become certified as a Course Rater but I couldn’t stick with it.  Congratulations to you!)

Our new tees are being added as part of the USGA and LPGA's "Play It Forward" initiative, instituted to be more in keeping with the drive yardage and swing speed of the "typical" female golfer.  Pretty exciting stuff!  It will give more opportunities for pars and birdies for women, senior women, junior players and new golfers. I’m looking forward to trying them out on occasion!

• Like 1