IGNORED

World Handicap System Now Out (2020)

iacas

On 10/11/2020 at 3:40 PM, dennyjones said:

Not really.   I was grandfathered in to the cheaper rate of $19.99 / yr.    The cost isn't the factor, it's just $$.   I like the data they supply.   I use Game Golf but I'm not sure how long they will continue to be operational.  

If you have a GHIN or whatever you can put your WHS number into the Grint and they'll sync. 

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, dsc123 said:

If you have a GHIN or whatever you can put your WHS number into the Grint and they'll sync. 

This is true.  Conversely, since I started with TheGrint, I don't have access to GHIN.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...

Question on "Active Season".   I just went to post yesterday's round in GHIN and it was rejected because it is "Outside the Active Score Posting Season for the Course".  Can anybody offer the rationale on why they would have "Active Season"? 

FYI, I am in Michigan, USA  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

27 minutes ago, StuM said:

Question on "Active Season".   I just went to post yesterday's round in GHIN and it was rejected because it is "Outside the Active Score Posting Season for the Course".  Can anybody offer the rationale on why they would have "Active Season"? 

This isn't new, there have been inactive seasons for much of the US for a long time.  The rationale, I suppose, is that course conditions and maintenance practices would unreasonably affect scores during some parts of the year, leading to unreasonably inflated handicaps.  You can see the active seasons for each Regional Golf Association here:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping-articles/handicap-active-and-inactive-season-schedule-25489.html

These active seasons are determined by each association, not by the USGA.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, StuM said:

They've always had an "active season."

Active Season

The period of time when acceptable scores from a specified area should be submitted for handicap purposes, as determined by the Authorized Association where the round is played.

The active season is basically when the weather permits golf to be played pretty normally. And yeah, we're having some good weather right now, but you can't guarantee that every year. Most of the time, in Michigan, you're not having good weather on November 6.

So the allied golf association makes a "season" during which you can post scores, so as not to skew your handicap. If you played in snow, for example, that's not really golf the way it's played normally, so it would affect your handicap. Greens aren't being maintained much, the fairways, rough, bunkers, the course is wet or snow-covered, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Though in the winter, on the frozen tundra, you can get 400 yard drives.  But like the gorilla joke you'll also get 200 yard wedges when the ball bounces off the frozen green.  Stu, if you hurry out to Washington state, west side, you can still play in the "Active" season.  Until the 15th.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I figured that may be it and yes @iacas we are having great weather this week, I think last year at this time we had 20 inches of snow.

@Double Mocha Man I nwish I could come out, but a little short of time and not thrilled about getting on an airplane.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

7 minutes ago, StuM said:

@Double Mocha Man I wish I could come out, but a little short of time and not thrilled about getting on an airplane.

I'm not fond of planes either.  If they run out of gas or they have mechanical problems they can't just pull to the side of the road and call AAA.   But otherwise, how are you ever going to play Pebble Beach?

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm not fond of planes either.  If they run out of gas or they have mechanical problems they can't just pull to the side of the road and call AAA.   But otherwise, how are you ever going to play Pebble Beach?

or St Andrews?

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding handicap revisions, scores that count for the formula, I've been fighting with Club Directors because many golfers have handicap with scores older then 1, 2, 3 years.... What can be done? I can't believe that these players handicap can be fair for Club events. Again, could you please mention which actions can be done or rulings? Thanks in advance. 

Putter Odyssey DF550 , DRIVER SRIXON Z765, Irons Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, Hybrid 2 Taylormade Rescue TP,Hybrid 3 Taylormade Rescue, Hybrid 4 PING G30, 52º Titleist DCI BeCu Wedge, 56º Taylormade Rac TP

Maurício Costenaro Sato, member of Brazilian Golf Confederation Athletes Committee, rater

Section 7 of the Handicapping Rules talks about what the Committee can do.  The committee is supposed to do a handicap review for each player at least once a year.  Assuming that the player's newer scores aren't consistent with the older scores, the Committee can adjust the player's handicap.  I don't see a mechanism for the committee to remove those scores from his record, but it could "adjust" his index based on only the more recent scores.

Dave

• iacas unfeatured this topic
  • 4 months later...

So, am I right on this?

After 5 rounds but until you get at least 10 rounds under your belt for a season, your handicap will change every time you shoot a lower differential?

For example if the differential for your best round in the first five rounds is 10, your handicap is 9.6. 

If before your tenth round you shoot a round with a differential of 5, your handicap is now 4.8.

After you get 10 rounds in it switches to 0.96 x (average of best 3 differentials).

After 20 rounds, it's 0.96 x (average of best 10 differentials.) 

Do I have that right? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

16 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So, am I right on this?

After 5 rounds but until you get at least 10 rounds under your belt for a season, your handicap will change every time you shoot a lower differential?

For example if the differential for your best round in the first five rounds is 10, your handicap is 9.6. 

If before your tenth round you shoot a round with a differential of 5, your handicap is now 4.8.

After you get 10 rounds in it switches to 0.96 x (average of best 3 differentials).

Do I have that right? 

the multiplier of 0.96 has been eliminated.   Your handicap updates after each round reported.  

WHS.1.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

9 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

the multiplier of 0.96 has been eliminated.   Your handicap updates after each round reported.  

WHS.1.pdf 7.44 MB · 0 downloads

Hey Thanks, Denny.

53 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So, am I right on this?

Do I have that right? 

A whole lot of stuff changed 15 months ago, including the minimum number of rounds to get an official Index (54 holes total, instead of 90), the number of scores counted in the average (best 8 of 20, instead of best 10), the removal of the 0.96 factor, and more.  The pdf @dennyjones uploaded is a pretty good summary.  You can also go here for the complete version:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

A whole lot of stuff changed 15 months ago, including the minimum number of rounds to get an official Index(54 holes total, instead of 90, the number of scores counted in the average (best 8 of 20, instead of best 10), the removal of the 0.96 factor, and more.  The pdf @dennyjones uploaded is a pretty good summary.  You can also go here for the complete version:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this curiosity and the answer is how handicap flights are determined for stroke play, with the WHS changes on handicap calculations (CR - PAR), do you think that the handicap flights should be reviewed? Could you share your thoughts when you're playing different courses for championship in a State Tour or other local tour, that different courses have different course handicap tables. Share your thoughts. Many thanks.

Putter Odyssey DF550 , DRIVER SRIXON Z765, Irons Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, Hybrid 2 Taylormade Rescue TP,Hybrid 3 Taylormade Rescue, Hybrid 4 PING G30, 52º Titleist DCI BeCu Wedge, 56º Taylormade Rac TP

Maurício Costenaro Sato, member of Brazilian Golf Confederation Athletes Committee, rater

• 5 weeks later...

Golf Canada....had my first round with a PCC where they said it was easier that day. Beats me as to why but had another question.

The app is saying my score is not eligible for my handicap. Are rounds with PCC applied invalid then despite the differential adjustment?

My HI is an 18.4 and this was a 9 hole round where I shot an 8.1 so I would have expected to show up as eligible.

Edited by cutchemist42