IGNORED

World Handicap System Now Out (2020)

iacas

10 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

US software has cooties or something?

While the calculations will still be the same, there will still be some differences around the world.  Particular to CONGU, they'll still use primarily competition rounds, or pre-registered and attested casual rounds, so there may need to be some programming to address the pre-registration and/or attestation.  I'm not sure that each player will enter his own scores, or whether cards will be turned in to a pro shop or committee to be posted. 

Secondarily, the scores to date haven't been posted using the new (for them) Course Rating and Slope, and they don't want to start the year with essentially no usable data for any players.  Once ratings are done, scores can be posted using their current system (Standard Scratch Score) AND the CR/Slope stuff, so that when they change over systems they'll have enough data to have usable handicaps for most players.

Most of this is partially informed speculation on my part.  The main point, the new system will be a much more significant change for some parts of the world than it will be for those of us currently under the USGA system, so it may take a bit longer for them to develop and test their own software.

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

My ghin update email from my golf association today had an article about the new world handicap system.  One thing I missed when looking at this before is the new ESC / max score per hole.  If I'm reading it correctly, it is now net double bogey for everyone.  Will make things confusing in my opinion because now the hole index is part of determining your score, but otherwise no big deal.  Just interesting.

30 minutes ago, gbogey said:

My ghin update email from my golf association today had an article about the new world handicap system.  One thing I missed when looking at this before is the new ESC / max score per hole.  If I'm reading it correctly, it is now net double bogey for everyone.  Will make things confusing in my opinion because now the hole index is part of determining your score, but otherwise no big deal.  Just interesting.

I believe this is the biggest impact the WHS will have on day-to-day posting in the US, but it brings us in line with the way much of the rest of the world does things.  Its also consistent with the Stableford scoring system, which again is common through much of the world.  It certainly will be an adjustment, but its not all that complicated.  I'm hoping that the online calculation services (like Ghin and others) will enable hole by hole posting.  If so, you'll just type in your raw scores, and the computers will correct for the maximum hole score.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I believe this is the biggest impact the WHS will have on day-to-day posting in the US, but it brings us in line with the way much of the rest of the world does things.  Its also consistent with the Stableford scoring system, which again is common through much of the world.  It certainly will be an adjustment, but its not all that complicated.

Since I've been in the 5.5-7.5 range the last several years, my max score has always been DB.  There are certainly situations where I'm in trouble on a hole and I either take a higher recovery risk shot than I should or give a putt a really good run at the hole because I know my max is DB.  The upside is saving bogey, the downside is DB but I was probably going to make DB anyways.  Now I have to look at the scorecard to determine whether my max is DB or not and will have to decide whether to play it safe for DB.  Doesn't happen that often, but it will happen.

44 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Since I've been in the 5.5-7.5 range the last several years, my max score has always been DB.  There are certainly situations where I'm in trouble on a hole and I either take a higher recovery risk shot than I should or give a putt a really good run at the hole because I know my max is DB.  The upside is saving bogey, the downside is DB but I was probably going to make DB anyways.  Now I have to look at the scorecard to determine whether my max is DB or not and will have to decide whether to play it safe for DB.  Doesn't happen that often, but it will happen.

Like I said, its an adjustment, but not a complicated one.  People all over the world have been making exactly that evaluation when playing Stableford competitions for decades, I'm sure we americans are smart enough to learn to do it right.

Dave

Hi everyone, it’s super interesting to read about how the changes affect you from your perspective. Dave is right, I wasn’t playing for all that long before the stableford system was completely ingrained and while confusing at the beginning becomes second nature. At the end you don’t get any points for a score of net DB or above but I’m sure this can still be written on your card. The reason for picking up at this point is just to save time. Especially if you play the same course often, you’ll soon know where you can play 2 over paar and still get a point or when anything above 1 over is not enough. 

On 10/15/2019 at 3:01 PM, DaveP043 said:

I'm hoping that the online calculation services (like Ghin and others) will enable hole by hole posting.  If so, you'll just type in your raw scores, and the computers will correct for the maximum hole score.

That’s how it works in the UK. 

Stevie T

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 10:01 AM, DaveP043 said:

I'm hoping that the online calculation services (like Ghin and others) will enable hole by hole posting.  If so, you'll just type in your raw scores, and the computers will correct for the maximum hole score.

The ghin app allows hole by hole entry already but I am not sure if it does any corrections at this time.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

On 10/15/2019 at 8:26 AM, gbogey said:

If I'm reading it correctly, it is now net double bogey for everyone.  Will make things confusing in my opinion because now the hole index is part of determining your score

IMO, I agree.

Haven't read through the thread completely yet, but has anyone address the new system will lower everyone Index?
It now takes 8 best scores along with the new ESC guidelines, this should create a lower index.
Maybe when I have an extra moment, I'll write a spreadsheet and make a comparison.

Next thing the USGA will do would be to somehow make us all Scratch Golfers with new rules and such.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

38 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

IMO, I agree.

Haven't read through the thread completely yet, but has anyone address the new system will lower everyone Index?
It now takes 8 best scores along with the new ESC guidelines, this should create a lower index.
Maybe when I have an extra moment, I'll write a spreadsheet and make a comparison.

Next thing the USGA will do would be to somehow make us all Scratch Golfers with new rules and such.

With my last GHIN update, my golf association included a note about the new system and let everyone know what their index would be if the new calculation was in place now.  My index dropped 0.1.

Of course everyone will be different, but at least in my case, there was little if any change.  My scores are pretty consistent though, with only 7 strokes separating my low score from my highest in the last 20 rounds.  If someone has significantly larger swings, I could see a bit more of a change.  Remember though, the 96% multiplier is removed, so that will mitigate a bit of the difference too.  Net double bogey as a maximum will also allow lower handicap golfers to post the occasional gross triple which they cannot currently.

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

The ghin app allows hole by hole entry already but I am not sure if it does any corrections at this time.

Scratch that. It's online/pc where you can do hole by hole.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

Not necessarily. The 0.96 multiplier is going away. So rather than all 10 of your counted scores being multiplied by 0.96, they're taking 8 and not making them smaller. The overall result is roughly no change, though some will see a small (0.1 for David) drop, and some will see a small increase.

Do the math… I chose a 12.1 differential, and it becomes an 11.6 currently with the 0.96 multiplier. That'll count as a 12.1 in the future.

Imagine differentials of: 12.1, 11.5, 11.3, 13.2, 14.4, 12.1, 11.5, 11.3, 13.2, 14.4, 12.6, 14.6, 14.1, 12.0, 11.3, 12.6, 14.6, 14.1, 12.0, 11.3

Ten best: 11.3, 11.3, 11.3, 11.3, 11.5, 11.5, 12.0, 12.0, 12.1, 12.1 (116.4)
Eight best: 11.3, 11.3, 11.3, 11.3, 11.5, 11.5, 12.0, 12.0 (92.2)

Ten best average: 11.6
Eight best average: 11.5

Ten after multiplier: 11.1
Eight best average: 11.5

Now, if you have a golfer whose differentials fluctuate quite a bit more, you can create situations where even a higher handicapper's score drops a bit. But it's tougher, and generally speaking, higher handicappers will go up a little, and lower handicappers will go down a little.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

The World Handicap System (WHS) will take effect in the US on Jan. 1st, 2020. In less than two months. I don't see a Rules forum topic, so creating this one. 

Links: USGA WHS pageWHS web site

Big question right now: when will the WHS manual be published? 

No more T (tournament) scores! No more reductions for two exceptional tournament scores 3.0 below handicap index. Instead there will be be a Exceptional Score Reduction for scores 7.0 or more below the index. Regardless of whether the round is in competition or not. In my opinion this is less likely to happen, and result in a handicap reduction.  

Quick question, Erik. I haven't carried an official handicap since 2015 for reasons. I haven't been playing competitively. Next year I'd like to do it again for reasons. I can grab a USGA membership at Pro Golf Discount and just enter my scores online. I won't be playing in a league. I just want one so Bob doesn't start horse trading for strokes that amounts to who pays for lunch. Starting Mar 15, 2020 scores start getting entered again. So does everything start over from scratch? Play my 3 rounds or six 9 hole rounds to get my HC index? Or does it go back 5 years and start with my old handicap?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

7 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Quick question, Erik. I haven't carried an official handicap since 2015 for reasons. I haven't been playing competitively. Next year I'd like to do it again for reasons. I can grab a USGA membership at Pro Golf Discount and just enter my scores online. I won't be playing in a league. I just want one so Bob doesn't start horse trading for strokes that amounts to who pays for lunch. Starting Mar 15, 2020 scores start getting entered again. So does everything start over from scratch? Play my 3 rounds or six 9 hole rounds to get my HC index? Or does it go back 5 years and start with my old handicap?

From everything I've read, your current scoring history will remain active, the handicap calculation will just change.  @iacas may have better information than I have right now.  I plan on attending a Handicap Seminar in about a month, I imagine there will be more definitive information available then.  

Dave