Jump to content
IGNORED

Winning a major vs winning a gold medal


mvmac
 Share

Note: This thread is 2118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you were a tour player, would winning a gold medal be "up there" with winning a major?  

28 members have voted

  1. 1. If you were a tour player, would winning a gold medal be "up there" with winning a major?

    • Yes
      12
    • No
      16


Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
12 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Voted no. The field won't be nearly as strong as the majors because of the format. Speith is just being a good representative of the Tour and is trying to play up the event, I doubt he feels as strongly about it as his quote indicates.

I agree with @SavvySwede. The field has been narrowed by the selection process. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You get 16 potential opportunities to win a major, but in that same time span, you only get one shot at Olympic gold.  Yes, the medal will be considered a fifth major by most pro's.  Just ask Roger Federer, a man who was what, 17 majors, how much he values his Olympic medal

Edited by pganapathy
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, Silent said:

Absolutely no. Not in golf. Even though you have much more chances to win a major (as in 4 times a year vs once in 4 years), the field in a major is stronger and winning it holds more value in my book .In a lot of other sports with a big olympic history the Olympics are the biggest achievments and prizes and most important in a athlete's career. Golf doesn't have that history. Spieth already won majors, so I can imagine that at this moment he wants to win the Olympics at all. Personally I might even prefer to win a WGC or The Players before the Olympics.

The Olympics in golf slots basically above the WGC HSBC Championship, below all the majors, the Players, the other WGC and maybe some other Tour events like the Memorial. I'm in the fence about something like The Barclays and the Tour Championship. The Barclays has a deep field, but no one really cares about the win. The Tour Championship is the reverse of that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Federer is a unique case since he and his wife met while they were both competing at an Olympics.  Naturally the Games holds a particularly warm spot in his heart.

The Olympic gold medal is the highest achievement for most sports in the Games, yet not for others --- basketball, tennis, baseball, hockey* and I'm assuming golf will be the same. 

* = unless you're a Canadian player, in which case winning a gold for Canada is equal to the Stanley Cup.

Quote

- Since Speith already has a couple of majors, winning a gold is "up there".  For someone that is say in their 30's or 40's and has yet to win a major, I would think winning a gold would pale in comparison to winning a major.

This is a great point.  If this was Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Patrick Reed, etc. saying this, we'd all be rolling our eyes and telling them to win one of the big ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


No..

No great logic at work here but just seems like sports like tennis, basketball, soccer, etc., and now golf seems to have more prestige in their individual pinnacle events (like majors..) compared to Olympics where they are just one of the many sport/games..

I don't want to make it sound like gold medals are dime a dozen but really there will be a couple of hundred other gold medal winners at the end of the fortnight in general.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I said yes for these reasons.

  • It's a much more rare achievement in that it happens only once every 4 years, not 4 times a year.  Just making the team will be a huge achievement as you have to peak at the right time.
  • You are representing your nation. 

 

Outside of US, Olympic is still huge.   Winning a medal instantly makes the person a national hero, especially, for a country which does not often win medals.    If this poll was conducted for Italians, Spaniards, Koreans, Russians, ...., I suspect the answers would be overwhelming yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
14 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

I said yes for these reasons.

  • It's a much more rare achievement in that it happens only once every 4 years, not 4 times a year.  Just making the team will be a huge achievement as you have to peak at the right time.
  • You are representing your nation. 

 

Outside of US, Olympic is still huge.   Winning a medal instantly makes the person a national hero, especially, for a country which does not often win medals.    If this poll was conducted for Italians, Spaniards, Koreans, Russians, ...., I suspect the answers would be overwhelming yes.

The Olympics is Huge in the US. Not sure why you think it is not. But Olympic golf is new and we need to see if it really takes off. The issue for me is how it is seeded. They limit the number of golfers from each country, which would eliminate good players from countries that have a lot of high level players. It will also let lower OWGR get in because they represent a country that has relatively few good players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/26/2015, 6:11:18, boogielicious said:

The Olympics is Huge in the US. Not sure why you think it is not.

Relatively speaking, it is not so huge compared to other nations.   Just look at the title of this thread and result.   This would not even be a valid question if this forum is based in Russia, China, Korea, etc..    And the polling result would be resounding yes.    Take Korean LPGA players for example.   All top players main goal this year was to climb up the world golf ranking so that they can qualify for the Olympics.   Sei Young Kim cited the Olympics as the main reason coming to LPGA this year where she can improve her ranking more effectively.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Relatively speaking, it is not so huge compared to other nations.   Just look at the title of this thread and result.   This would not even be a valid question if this forum is based in Russia, China, Korea, etc..    And the polling result would be resounding yes.    Take Korean LPGA players for example.   All top players main goal this year was to climb up the world golf ranking so that they can qualify for the Olympics.   Sei Young Kim cited the Olympics as the main reason coming to LPGA this year where she can improve her ranking more effectively.  

Lot of assumptions there.

Golf has four majors already, and the field will be significantly weaker in the Olympics. I'm pretty sure Russia would be thrilled if one of their golfers won the Masters. Or the U.S. Open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Lot of assumptions there.

Golf has four majors already, and the field will be significantly weaker in the Olympics. I'm pretty sure Russia would be thrilled if one of their golfers won the Masters. Or the U.S. Open.

 

Of course but one is playing for the national pride which only happens once every 4 years.  IMO, the experience of participating in Olympics is something much more special than playing in majors which happens 4 times a year for top players.    And to make it to the Olympics, one has to be in peak form year before the Olympics.  I.e, even a top player may never make it to the Olympics if the timing is not right for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Of course but one is playing for the national pride which only happens once every 4 years.  IMO, the experience of participating in Olympics is something much more special than playing in majors which happens 4 times a year for a top players.    And to make it to the Olympics, one has to be in top peak form a year before the Olympics.  Even a top player may never make it to the Olympics if the timing is not right.  

a) You're assuming everyone cares as much as you think about national pride. It's still an individual sport.

b) "A top player may never make it to the Olympics" is exactly why it is not a great tournament - weak fields again.

The Olympics are important in other sports where it is the pinnacle of what you can achieve in the sport, against the strongest fields. That isn't true in golf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

a) you are assuming most of them don't care about national pride, and/or the experience of participating in the Olympics.

b) it may attract an weaker field but much more rare to win one.  That's one of my supporting arguments.   Some pros are more excited about winning the rookie of the year b/c they believe you get only one chance at it although winning it is much easier than winning the MVP title.  This is not an assumption.   I've heard a few who stated as such.

You are making your own set of assumptions about this thread as well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

a) you are assuming most of them don't care about national pride, and/or the experience of participating in the Olympics.

b) it may attract an weaker field but much more rare to win one.  That's one of my supporting arguments.   Some pros are more excited about winning the rookie of the year b/c they believe you get only one chance at it although winning it is much easier than winning the MVP title.  This is not an assumption.   I've heard a few who stated as such.

You are making your own set of assumptions about this thread as well.  

No, I'm putting context to them. Re: national pride, again, in other sports an Olympic gold is the highest thing you can achieve (plus many are played as teams, not individuals). This isn't at all true in golf.

Of course it's "more rare" to win one, but so what? You can arbitrarily make something more rare without necessarily making it more special. There's only been one PGA winner at Tanglewood… but so? And I highly doubt that, if asked, players would rather choose to win for their career ONE Rookie of the Year award or ONE MVP award. The former is easier to win, but also "rarer" because you get one chance at it. It sounds like lip service paid by rookies who want to talk up an achievement. Winning the MVP is a bigger achievement.

At the end of the day, I don't think many players are going to feel a strong sense of nationalism, and they're going to know the field is pretty weak. They'll talk up their achievements, and they'll talk up the Olympics, but deep down I am betting almost every professional golfer would much rather win a major than an Olympic gold medal. Just like the poll.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
43 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

b) it may attract an weaker field but much more rare to win one. 

Yeah but that doesn't really matter when you're not competing against a strong field. 

For a player like Spieth, Rory or Tiger, a gold medal might be nice to check off their accomplishments list but I don't think it'll keep them up at night if they don't win one. 

Ask Phil if he'd rather have a gold medal or a U.S. Open win. Same thing with Arnie or Tom Watson, if they'd rather have a gold medal or a PGA. I don't anyone is picking the medal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, what's all the hoopla about Ryder's cup?   For the look of it, everyone is trying to make the team, they show lots of emotion during play, etc..   Shouldn't Olympic elicit more from the players to make the team, and play one for the nation?   What are your thoughts if the thread was about making/winning Ryder cup vs winning a major?   Ryder cup vs Olympics?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

So, what's all the hoopla about Ryder's cup?   For the look of it, everyone is trying to make the team, they show lots of emotion during play, etc. Shouldn't Olympic elicit more from the players to make the team, and play one for the nation? What are your thoughts if the thread was about making/winning Ryder cup vs winning a major? Ryder cup vs Olympics?

The Ryder Cup has a history and is a team event. Apples and oranges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

The Ryder Cup has a history and is a team event. Apples and oranges.

Olympic has prestige and history, and it a national competition as far as "team" event goes.  Indeed, they are apples and oranges.  

 

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

For a player like Spieth, Rory or Tiger, a gold medal might be nice to check off their accomplishments list but I don't think it'll keep them up at night if they don't win one. 

Ask Phil if he'd rather have a gold medal or a U.S. Open win. Same thing with Arnie or Tom Watson, if they'd rather have a gold medal or a PGA. I don't anyone is picking the medal.

For Spieth & Rory who are likely to make the Olympic team, the question will be asked.  Love to hear their response.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • The single largest improvement to my game was the result of learning the single plane swing. This was years ago, back when Natural Golf was the thing, however I've been using the principles ever since. Maybe next year for my 75th I'll go to one of Todd Graves schools. 
    • In my world of fantasy football people were killing Elliot because of his lack of points, What none of them care about was the man-sized job he did with pass blocking that kept Dak upright and slinging those passes. That said, I got the man on one of my rosters, so I'm hoping that game script is very different going forward.
    • I got a bag full of clubs, but practically I almost never use  the 3W, 4I, 6I or my LW. I also got an old model Taylormade burner bubble driver that hasn't left the bag since April. Some of it has to do with the shots I tend to hit at the home course, so the 6I and LW are rarely needed. ... But the 3W and 4I are just clubs that I don't hit well enough to bother with.  
    • Day 3 - worked on PP (straighter right elbow) 
    • It's not necessarily the number of the club that's important it's more the loft of the club.  I'm content for the next month or two to stick with. 10.5° driver, 19° 3 hybrid, 4 6 7 8 irons, 50° wedge, sand wedge. These seem to allow me to get round our course ok.        
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Avanh
      Avanh
      (34 years old)
    2. DesertTime
      DesertTime
      (73 years old)
    3. Kersys
      Kersys
      (30 years old)
    4. takemoney
      takemoney
      (30 years old)
    5. trapdodger
      trapdodger
      (50 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...