IGNORED

My Swing (Yossarian)

Yossarian

• 2 months later...
(edited)
So, worked on:
- better rotation of the right shoulder
- straight left arm in backswing
- keeping the right foot more planted in the downswing (I never saw a good player with that lifted at impact like I do)

Current issues I see:
- keeping the foot down creates a steep downswing, in the best case I make a sort of punch shot with a huge divot after the ball, in the worst case I hit it very fat
- a lot of shanks from inside-out path
- it looks like in the transition I transfer the weight starting from the top of the body

Shots from DTL were a bit better:

Of course, any input is always appreciated

Edited by Yossarian
embedding videos

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Yossarian said:
- keeping the foot down creates a steep downswing, in the best case I make a sort of punch shot with a huge divot after the ball, in the worst case I hit it very fat

Ball position is well back, too.

@billchao will be able to help you with what I think I'm going to call the "stilt-like trail leg issue."

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have to get that trail leg to regain flexion in the early downswing. Might feel like your left knee is moving towards the ball instead of just towards the target. Make sure you’re still getting your weight forward while you’re doing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 5 months later...

Hello folks!

Worked on the suggestions, as well as on the lifetime target of getting a proper weight shift...

Lot of head movements 😅

Trajectory varies between Pull (first DTL video) and Straight (second DTL). Not sure what I did differently in the 2 swings. Looks like OTT (even though the camera angle makes it a little worse than it is I think)

I was also wondering if I need to work on the early extension. I remember a thread where @iacas was saying that a bit of it is still ok, but I don't think mine is a "bit"

image.jpeg.79dca81e17c1e78e9b9f710413be6357.jpeg

• Administrator

I'd work on the backswing.

Did you see my COVID-19 video series? You should find that topic and go through all 30 days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 7 months later...
On 12/2/2020 at 11:44 AM, iacas said:

I'd work on the backswing.

Did you see my COVID-19 video series? You should find that topic and go through all 30 days.

I did! I have to say that even if I've done the day 5 drill so many times, the hands are still behind, it does not click in my brain. Also the right shoulder turn in backswing is probably still too flat. But overall seems improved, I think. 

Very prone to shanks, unfortunately.

• Administrator

You move your arms but are very, very slow to turn. Thus, your trail elbow gets very trapped behind you.

Your grip is far too strong, too.

The shanks come from the trail elbow trying to get out from behind your shirt seam, back out in front. The flip comes from the trail elbow being stuck back there.

• Thumbs Up 2

My goodness you are one flexible dude. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 7/11/2021 at 8:17 PM, iacas said:

You move your arms but are very, very slow to turn. Thus, your trail elbow gets very trapped behind you.

Your grip is far too strong, too.

The shanks come from the trail elbow trying to get out from behind your shirt seam, back out in front. The flip comes from the trail elbow being stuck back there.

Thank you, I guess back to day 3!

On 7/11/2021 at 8:31 PM, Vinsk said:

My goodness you are one flexible dude. 

Not for very much longer, I am 45 😅

In fact I should move to a swing less susceptible to lower back injuries, if I knew how

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

That's better. But consider how much "turn" occurs between here and there:

01.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Folks!

Haven't posted in a while, I have worked on:

- better turn

- trying to keep the left elbow inside the shirt inseam

Still working on a correct weight transition.

The camera on the DTL is probably a bit misaligned

• Administrator

I’d love to see a practice rehearsal or a swing that hits the ball 50 yards.

You could have made more progress if you’d practice “smarter” than I think you have.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

EIGHTYSEVEEEEEEN!

(ok for you guys is a bad score, for me it's great)

back to the comments

On 4/27/2022 at 7:19 AM, iacas said:

swing that hits the ball 50 yards.

will do

On 4/27/2022 at 7:19 AM, iacas said:

I’d love to see a practice rehearsal

This brings up a question. I know that a practice swing may be different than the actual swing on the ball, because in the practice downswing sometimes we don't square the face at impact, etc

But I noticed that also my backswing is different. It's particularly evident on the driver, see video - I know, the grip...

I think the reason is that at the top, in the second swing, I do an early extension, which I think it's there because my body wants to generate some speed. I wonder if it's ok or I need to completely suppress it

• Administrator

The point of my previous post was to say I'd love to see how you practice, because I don't think you do it slowly enough or with the right intention.

I think you swing too quickly. Your right arm still way overloaded against your chest, and stays too loaded during the downswing.

7 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I know, the grip...

If you know, then bluntly… why don't you change it?

Changing a golf swing requires effort, work, etc. But it can pay off, and you can do it. You just have to actually do it.

• 2 months later...