IGNORED

2-Meals-a-Day vs. 6-Meals-a-Day Debate

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

24 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Isn't the six-meal idea sort of a bodybuilding related thing.

Some weight loss diet plans also prescribe it. Six small meals a day to boost metabolism. Like Aragon says, doesn't make a difference.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My typical day is:  Breakfast shake for breakfast (thinking of changing it up to real foods however) M-F.  Vegetables and ranch dressing for small snack.  Lunch is my typical caesar salad with an avocado.  Mid day snack is an apple or another portion of vegetables with broccoli.  Dinner varies but typically is balanced.  I do very well except after dinner sometimes I will have several snacks.  I will eat a piece of fruit or handful of almonds but then later back it up with some popcorn.  I have been very conscious lately of only having one evening snack and when it is popcorn, trying to make it so that it is not unhealthy.

Weekends I make three eggs either scrambled or fried over easy in butter, sausage or bacon and some type of toast, typically an english muffin one day and usually a breakfast sandwich with the other ingredient (bacon or sausage) the next day with a slice of cheese on it.

36 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

37 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Some weight loss diet plans also prescribe it. Six small meals a day to boost metabolism. Like Aragon says, doesn't make a difference.

Aragon is right (smart guy btw). Doesn't matter whether you eat 6 meals a day or 1, from a fat gain perspective. I was a bodybuilder for many years and know this to be true. My preferred method was multiple small meals (or multiple big ones depending on goals), but that's just because I'm a snacker. I also tried Intermittent Fasting (only eating during an 8-hour window) and that works too. 

Edited by 3Mulligans

I just don't see any world in which I could eat six meals a day and not be constantly overeating. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

7 minutes ago, jamo said:

I just don't see any world in which I could eat six meals a day and not be constantly overeating. 

I imagine that, after a short adjustment period, you would be able to quickly determine an appropriately sized portion for each of the six meals. The same way you know about how much you should eat when you eat 3 times a day, you would figure out how much you should eat each time when you're eating 6 times a day.

20 minutes ago, jamo said:

I think its easier if you are actually trying to put on weight. At least you need to eat substantial calories to do so. To lose or maintain weight I think 3 meals or less is better. 

I need to eat about 2300 calories to lose weight. That's 383 calories a meal. That would be tough to do. I would probably end up overeating one meal and not eating another. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

I imagine that, after a short adjustment period, you would be able to quickly determine an appropriately sized portion for each of the six meals. The same way you know about how much you should eat when you eat 3 times a day, you would figure out how much you should eat each time when you're eating 6 times a day.

Ahhhh, see, that's where you're mistake. :whistle:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, jamo said:

I'd be much easier for me to eat once a day than six times day.

For one thing, it'd be a pain in the ass to plan six meals!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 hours ago, jamo said:

Ahhhh, see, that's where you're mistake. :whistle:

You know how much you should eat, that doesn't mean you necessarily eat that much! :-D

I know I generally eat too much, but it usually is fine during the golf season when I go out and play 18 right after walking with my bag.

I'll throw in more confusion. When I was bike racing and at my lowest body fat (8%), the prescribed diet per "experts" was summed up as, "Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dinner like a pauper". It was also recommended to have a small snack between with protein in the AM and fruit in the PM. The idea was to have a mini fast at night with a small meal and let the morning breakfast refuel the system. I was training ~14-16 hours per week.

Now I am sure that all the miles on the bike lead to my low body fat and not necessarily the diet. Plus I cut down on the beer/wine because races were on the weekends, so very little Friday and Saturday night alcohol. I was thin and frankly, too thin. I got sick often catching every cold and seemed to take longer to recover. So being thin may not be optimum.

I just wanted to point out how diet theories vary depending on the latest studies. Also, it's hard to do this kind of diet when you are working.

Today I am more a small breakfast, moderate lunch, moderate + dinner with healthy snacks. I am not thin anymore and could probably lose 15 pounds, but I don't get sick often anymore. I workout 5 to 6 days a week as my knees allow. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Ideal is the six small meals a day, but the catch is very few people are able to maintain SMALL.  Anyway, hopefully more meals leads to a healthier diet since you have more options.  Of course, planning six meals takes a lot of work, but considering you are doing this for your health, one should make the time and effort.  If that is impractical, then three meals a day but ensure your quantities are appropriate and that you are eating healthy

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

3 for me. Breakfast, most important meal of the day (or so they say). Normally Muesli or Wholemeal toast. Lunch would be a small sandwich (low calorie "thins") and fruit and then dinner (or tea as we call it here in Yorkshire), which is normally whatever we either have in the Fridge/Freezer or cupboard or can be bothered to make.

I tend to eat ok till i get home. As my wife is pregnant she is "eating for two" and i must be weak as i end up joining her.

May have to get some advice for the guys here doing the healthy eating thing

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

37 minutes ago, RussUK said:

3 for me. Breakfast, most important meal of the day (or so they say). Normally Muesli or Wholemeal toast. Lunch would be a small sandwich (low calorie "thins") and fruit and then dinner (or tea as we call it here in Yorkshire), which is normally whatever we either have in the Fridge/Freezer or cupboard or can be bothered to make.

I tend to eat ok till i get home. As my wife is pregnant she is "eating for two" and i must be weak as i end up joining her.

May have to get some advice for the guys here doing the healthy eating thing

I am a serial night snacker so I understand your dilemma.  What works for me is to eat an apple BEFORE dinner, helps me control my dinner portion.  The other thing I do is keep fresh vegetables at hand.  A bunch of raw broccoli and two tablespoons of ranch dressing goes a long way for not too many calories.  Celery also works alright.  

• Upvote 1

Interestingly enough, I often an repulsed by food early in the day. People say breakfast is the most important, but usually I find the idea of eating before noon or one in the afternoon unpleasant and end up not eating until lunch other than maybe a small granola bar (which is bland enough to not be unappetizing in snap enough qualities).

3 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

I am a serial night snacker so I understand your dilemma.  What works for me is to eat an apple BEFORE dinner, helps me control my dinner portion.  The other thing I do is keep fresh vegetables at hand.  A bunch of raw broccoli and two tablespoons of ranch dressing goes a long way for not too many calories.  Celery also works alright.  

May give that a try. May have to swap the Brocolli for carrots though!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I'm also 2 meals a day. Have always been that way as long as I can remember. Usually a large breakfast and a dinner around 4-6 PM.  With a snack (unsalted nuts or a Quest Protein bar) around lunch. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Calories are calories. I don't have any rules for how many times I eat just how much (calories). It's a cumulative thing anyway. I am certain over the holidays there are days I pound down 4000-5000 calories. Other days much less. It all works out.

That said I am typically not hungry in the morning so usually my first meal is dinner. Lunch is more like a snack, in the 200-400 calorie range total. Usually just one meal sized portion each day for me.

Dave :-)

On 11/30/2015, 3:05:06, mvmac said:

My wife and I are on the Medifast diet plan. I started in August, and lost 20 pounds (193 to 173) in about 6 weeks.

Plan has a weight-loss and a maintenance phase. In weight loss, you have five small snack meals a day, and one modest size meal high on protein.

The 5-and-1 plan is designed to stabilize metabolism. The plan helps dieters avoid the sugar crashes and feeling starved which makes people likely to eat more food than they need.

MV earlier said he prefers two meals a day without breakfast. I'm the other way - I need the breakfast, and prefer lighter meals during the day. A big lunch, and I spend all afternoon just trying to stay awake. Individual metabolism seems to play a big part in what works.

During maintenance, I will have one or two modest meals and the periodic snack meals. As my coach says - and I figured this out on my own - if you're working out or playing golf on a day, you need a bit more food so you don't crash.

Drinking lots of water is a key part of the diet in all phases.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 1482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!