IGNORED

What Are Your 2016 Golf Goals? Official Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My goal is to lower my handicap below 20. This might be an ambitious goal, but considered that I'm young and see some consistent(relative to my ability) ball striking encourage me to go for it. Furthermore I want to eliminate the total useless shots like topping it 20 yards or fatting chip shots. I also want to play more club matched instead of only play with my friends.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have many goals this year.

1. Make practice a priority over playing.  If I have an hour to play the local executive course, that hour would be better spent actually practicing.

2. Learn how to practice properly. (Currently reading LSW for the 2nd time through.)

3. Start videotaping my swing.  Maybe seeing how it looks will key me in to what needs to change.

4. Get out of the 80's and 90's by not using the word "videotaping" anymore.

5. Join Evolvr.

6. Hopefully all of the above will help with the ultimate goal of consistently breaking 90 and getting my HI down to a solid 12-15

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

Just a few words on my background and 2015 before stating goals for 2016. I retired in Dec 2014 and my 2015 HI was 37. I mostly played in weekend MSGA (Maine State Golf Assoc) events. Playing one week, two or three weeks not, and not looking at clubs in between. Practice was not in my vocabulary. I joined a club in 2015, and played more golf getting my HI down to 32.5 where it is now. 

So, 2016 I will introduce practice.

Just got a copy of LSW, and now need to read it!

Will get my HI down to 22. I broke 100 several times at home course and in one MSGA event last year. To get to HI of 22, I need to get some 90s in the mix.

Volunteer at Maine Amature.

Under construction, signature and game.

My goal for 2016 is to enjoy the game even more, if possible. I plan to do this by playing golf for fun and not laboring towards a hypothetical single digit handicap (spent 2015 laboring towards 15). I have started shaping shots, hitting deliberate fades and draws, but I can't yet control that. About 1 in 5 of my iron shots comes off beautifully with one of those baby-draws my teacher wants to see. I want to get some beautiful shot shapes in. I want my golf swing to be the most beautiful piece of artistry I can achieve. I want my putting technique to be steady and assured. When I'm on the golf course, I want to attack every shot like I have the skill to pull it off, and not play any conservative golf. Sure, I'll probably hit 105 shots most week-ends, but at least 20 of those will have given me pleasure. And I will play the next shot like it was my first ever.

Get my index below a double digit. Play smarter. Stop thinking that every time I am within 240yds I need to go for the green.....even though it's a fun challenge the penalties really hurt 

I would like to break 80 consistantly and hit more greens in regulation and not rely on my short game so much. I would also like to be able to work the ball more. I would also like to compete in my club championship and our statewide keystone senior game.

• iacas unfeatured this topic

I haven't played a full 18-hole round of golf in a few years, so my goal for 2016 is simply getting out on the course and playing as much as I can.  My left knee feels better than it has in years, so that has me excited.  More importantly, my 8-year old is extremely excited to start playing.  He got his first official set of golf clubs for Christmas, so now it's time to get to work!  His interest in golf will also get me more excited to play.

I don't have any crazy goals other than just getting on the course and playing a little.  I want to have a lot of fun playing with my little man and go from there.  I'm definitely coming into 2016 as refreshed as I have been in years when it comes to golf!

I have 2 goals for 2016. Id like to get my index to around 2 or 3. Its at 6.6 right now and the work Im putting in on my full swing should help me get there. My other goal is to make it into the top 4 in my flight of my club championship.

Revised 2016 goals:

- Figure out how to permanently eliminate the slice off my driver.   Last year was the hooks (BAD), now it's the slices - it's really baffling me how my swing could have unknowingly changed so much, and I'm finding it very hard to fix.   All I want is to get my (short) and straight drive back ...

- Tighten up wedges - I've lost it.  Need to put some time in, dig some dirt and get really accurate again with my wedges - what used to be a strength is now a liability.    Length is typically fine, it's just I have NO accuracy at all with the wedges.

Much work to be done going into 2016 - not looking forward to fixing all this, but it's time to quit dicking around & really put some time into fixing this nonsense.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:29 PM, SteveH said:

. Stop thinking that every time I am within 240yds I need to go for the green.....even though it's a fun challenge the penalties really hurt 

Man, isn't that the truth !!!     I only hit my 3w a time or two a round, therefore, am not very sharp with it, so these long approach shots practically NEVER work out.     I'd much rather hit a hybrid & have a nice 35 yard pitch shot from the short grass for a reasonable up and down opportunity ... as opposed to hitting a 3w that often leaves me way right along the treeline and have to hit a flop shot over a bunker from the heavy rough for up and down, which can go bad FAST !!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

5 hours ago, inthehole said:

Man, isn't that the truth !!!     I only hit my 3w a time or two a round, therefore, am not very sharp with it, so these long approach shots practically NEVER work out.     I'd much rather hit a hybrid & have a nice 35 yard pitch shot from the short grass for a reasonable up and down opportunity ... as opposed to hitting a 3w that often leaves me way right along the treeline and have to hit a flop shot over a bunker from the heavy rough for up and down, which can go bad FAST !!

2 short irons will pretty much guarantee me a nice putt but the temptation is so great, especially as I have about a 50/50 chance of getting on with the 3w. "No guts, no glory" lol

I've got two:

I wan't to make it to the PGA tour.

And for my realistic goal:

I want to make it to around a 3-4 handicap. I never played a lot my whole life but with being in college now my classes are more spread out during the week so I find 2-3 hours of free time from my classes, so I want to go to the range to work on my shots and shapes, and also hit the practice course for short game and approach shots. But most importantly, I want to increase my putting percentages from 5-10 feet from 12.4% to 35-40%

Edited by freshmanUTA

My goal for 2016 is to break 80 at least once.   I don't care if it's from the senior tees.   I don't care if I have to include 2 mulligans.  Just. Break. 80.   With a minimal amount of cheating.   If I can do that, I promise I will work on eliminating the cheating.  

Right now I'm 62 years old, I shoot in the mid-80s, from the senior tees, with some cheating.    By which I mean 2 mulligans off the tee per round, and a lot of 3 foot putts conceded.  I never fail to break 90.  But I have never broken 80. 

I took up the game seriously about 2 years ago, and have slowly, slowly improved. 

There's no particular way I am going to get below 80, just general improvement in every aspect.   I do need to practice my putting a lot more.   My lag putting is getting a lot better, but I am not good at reading greens and I miss too many makeable putts, 8 feet or less.  My driving is good.   I just need to keep my drives in the fairway.   

And my other goal, as far at this message board goes, is to be honest when I post about my game.   I am starting to recognize my tendency to puffery, to try to make myself look better than I am. 

Edited by Marty2019
  • Upvote 1

Be more consistent.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I want to play 'better' golf, enjoy myself on the course and as a result, my hcp has to drop to around 10. 

I hope to get more rounds under my belt. I'll use the winter to get better or more consistend with mainly the driver and chipping. I have a chipping area nearby, 20 minute drive with artificial turf which is always open. I practice, given my time, every week, once a week. Secondly, I'll get my driver fitted to my specs. It's close, but I get a flight scope measurement. Club head is fine, shaft might need some tuning. I purchased game golf, to see (and hopefully find out) at what point I loose strokes. 

At last, at the end, I want to enjoy it more than I already did.

Mine is simple. Stop tinkering with my swing when something goes bad. As with most people, I tend to look for fixes when my swing goes south which leads to more problems down the road. This year, I'll stick with my swing and see how it works out through the years. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My 2016 Goals:

1) Improve strike with driver (i.e. hit the clubface center more often)

2) Consistency, with swing, distances, ball paths, etc.

3) Shoot more sub-90 rounds. Should follow from completing other goals

4) Hit more greens in regulations

5) Play more courses. There's a lot of quality courses in my area that I've been wanting to play.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Note: This thread is 2709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!