Sign in to follow this  
warbirdlover

Which iron set?

Note: This thread is 1672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 posts / 1149 viewsLast Reply

I quit hunting, sold my rifle and now I'm going to buy a new set of irons.  I've always wanted a set of Mizuno's (probably) but need to ask which set would you buy.  I grew up learning on McGregor muscle backs and recently had a set of S59 Pings so I'm not a total hack with irons.  I can shoot anywhere from 37 to 50 for nine holes depending on where my head is at.  Usually low-mid 40's for 9.  Here are my choices.  Comments please.

Mizuno MP-H5's

Mizuno JPX-850 forged

Srixon Z545

From your description, I would suggest trying out the JPX-850.F and the Srixon Z545. These are both GI range clubs. The H5 might tend to get the ball up a little high, if you have good clubhead speed.

Best thing to do would be get fitted, see which one gives you the best numbers and the bests feel.

I got to try out the Z545s when the first came out - the Srizon rep had me remove the wrappers from the Z irons at the January demo day. The clubs felt good, and I got good contact up and down the set.

I suggest you test hit some irons, and then get fitted for a couple of finalists you really like.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hit every Mizzy they had at Golf Galaxy today plus Callaway Apex and a Ping S55.  The S55 (cast) out did them all for feel, distance and accuracy.  Who would've thought. 

10 hours ago, warbirdlover said:

Hit every Mizzy they had at Golf Galaxy today plus Callaway Apex and a Ping S55.  The S55 (cast) out did them all for feel, distance and accuracy.  Who would've thought. 

Cast vs. forged is overstated in terms of how it affects feel. Manufacturers can adjust the sound to be louder or quieter, and that largely influences what we perceive as feel. It just happens that forged clubs tend to be more better-player oriented, so manufacturers don't need to make the players feel better by making hits sound better than they are. Most people wouldn't notice the difference between a forged club and a Tour or Pro version of a cast club, like the S55. Glad you found something you like; the S55 is lovely and very popular with its users

congrats on the choice. Those S55s should last you years. Have fun on the course.

I wash my clubs after each round. And clean my grips every month. Keeps the oil from building up on the grip and makes the grip last longer.

Note: This thread is 1672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!