IGNORED

XE1 Wedge: Have you tried it?

rmenary
Note: This thread is 832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Golf hack said:

Isn't 2024 the deadline for USGA groove issues for amateurs?

Clubs can't have been manufactured past 2010 (IIRC) with illegal grooves. This club was manufactured after that date.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's true. On the other hand, if USGA had approved the club, I suspect the add would prominately display it. Perhaps they are assuming many people don't care. However, if that is the case, they should mention that in the add. 

Then again the weekend hacker who doesn't carry a handicap, and has a lot of trouble getting out of bunkers probably doesn't care what the USGA says about the groove rule.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

8 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Then again the weekend hacker who doesn't carry a handicap, and has a lot of trouble getting out of bunkers probably doesn't care what the USGA says about the groove rule.

Most golfers make a conscious decision to play non-conforming clubs.  I'm 99% certain that the guy in my club that uses an XE1 has no idea it's non-conforming.

I think manufacturers of non-conforming equipment should be required to place high visibility labels on their clubs (that can be removed after purchase) to indicate it's non-conforming so consumers aren't duped.

Joe Paradiso

• 3 weeks later...

So Has anyone tried the xE1 Wedge out?  Does it work as advertised or is it bs?  If you don't know what I am talking about check out this link. 

http://www.xe1golf.com/online/xe1-wedge-65-v2-tab/?utm_source=Taboola&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=text-02-xE1-c02-pfs&utm_campaign=xE1-Taboola-PS-US

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

• 2 weeks later...

I  am using the 59  degree xe1  and am convinced it is worth the money.  It gets me out of bunkers easily and lobs the ball close to the pin.  It also is great for the 45 yard flop shot.  I always had trouble with these before and even though I play of a 6 handicap it makes is easier to play golf i  would recommend it to everyone. 

• Upvote 1

Hi all.

I've just bought one, I'm uk based so I had to pay additional import duty to receive it. Tried it now twice in the winter league off a mat, I struggled at first as I expected it to travel further than I assumed. Maybe it's because I am using it off the winter mat but the maximum yardage I can get out of it is between 25 & 30. It works as it says in the advert if your not too confident "flopping" over bunkers onto the green, but anymore than 30y stick to your lob wedge.

It's not a bad sand iron and short -side-miss wedge.  No shaft or grip options, however, so when you set it up for your own bag, it ends up costing double the price. 

FW-15 Set.gif

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

My experience is amateurs would do better playing it lower rather than higher. Learn how to chip and pitch and play smart shots and you won't need a gimmicky wedge. Though the horrific technique displayed by the old guys on the commercial make me think nothing they do would yield decent results.

But the real problem is the crappy approach shot that led to having to hit some crazy trick shot. Improve ball striking, miss it closer to the green and roll it close with a PW. Better players scramble better because they don't have difficult up and downs.

Dave :-)

It's a wedge for golfers who don't practice much; they go out to the course and want to use a club that they think gives them the best chance to get out of trouble or get over trouble. If it makes the game more fun...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

13 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

My experience is amateurs would do better playing it lower rather than higher. Learn how to chip and pitch and play smart shots and you won't need a gimmicky wedge. Though the horrific technique displayed by the old guys on the commercial make me think nothing they do would yield decent results.

But the real problem is the crappy approach shot that led to having to hit some crazy trick shot. Improve ball striking, miss it closer to the green and roll it close with a PW. Better players scramble better because they don't have difficult up and downs.

This.  I can cut strokes off my score and unfortunately do quite a lot. (several front nines 8 or 9 strokes higher than the back) by leaving my wedges in the bag as much as I can minus sand and carrying hazards, etc.  I do even better if I go the extreme opposite. If I can putt, putt, if I can't Hybrid, working my way back to the 52* wedge.

Just went to their website -- pretty cheesy looking, BTW -- and clicked on "Email Customer Support" to ask a question about payment/ordering.  The email address (support@golftailor.com) got bounced back as undeliverable.  

Kinda makes me wonder about the company and its credibility in general.
I'll pass on this "deal".

The XE1 is similar to many wedges advertising same benefits.  It you have problems hitting reliably out of the trap, it will definitely help you get out and stop the ball on the green.  Also works very well as a lob wedge on flop shots IF your lie is fluffy. So does a standard lob wedge.   The claims about it being easy to use on tight lies, well...it is not as easy as Aaron Oberholser makes it look. But that is true for any wedge.  And honestly, is a 65 degree loft for pitch shots the best idea?  It can be done, but more often than not, 65 degrees will pop it up short.  Overall, I will stand by the XE1 for sand trap use - it does work well. 

On 1/23/2016 at 10:00 AM, haiche52 said:

I  am using the 59  degree xe1  and am convinced it is worth the money.  It gets me out of bunkers easily and lobs the ball close to the pin.  It also is great for the 45 yard flop shot.  I always had trouble with these before and even though I play of a 6 handicap it makes is easier to play golf i  would recommend it to everyone. 

On 1/23/2016 at 5:35 PM, Steve92110 said:

Hi all.

I've just bought one, I'm uk based so I had to pay additional import duty to receive it. Tried it now twice in the winter league off a mat, I struggled at first as I expected it to travel further than I assumed. Maybe it's because I am using it off the winter mat but the maximum yardage I can get out of it is between 25 & 30. It works as it says in the advert if your not too confident "flopping" over bunkers onto the green, but anymore than 30y stick to your lob wedge.

3 minutes ago, Martin Andrioff said:

The XE1 is similar to many wedges advertising same benefits.  It you have problems hitting reliably out of the trap, it will definitely help you get out and stop the ball on the green.  Also works very well as a lob wedge on flop shots IF your lie is fluffy. So does a standard lob wedge.   The claims about it being easy to use on tight lies, well...it is not as easy as Aaron Oberholser makes it look. But that is true for any wedge.  And honestly, is a 65 degree loft for pitch shots the best idea?  It can be done, but more often than not, 65 degrees will pop it up short.  Overall, I will stand by the XE1 for sand trap use - it does work well. 

Seems odd to me that we've gotten a handful of newbies posting here only about this club.  You do realize that the club does not conform to the rules of golf, don't you?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On January 23, 2016 at 8:00 AM, haiche52 said:

It gets me out of bunkers easily and lobs the ball close to the pin. 

Interesting. I wonder how the XE1 knows where the pin is.  

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!