IGNORED

XE1 Wedge: Have you tried it?

rmenary
Note: This thread is 833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On December 13, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Lihu said:

Don't you hate that?

The last time I was only 35 yards making my second shot with the longest drive I'd ever made on that hole, and ended with a double because I bladed the ball 100 yards into some wood chips and the ensuing other shots needed to get back on the green and 2 putt. . .:mad:

The issue is that the club is non-comforming according to Mike, so, looking for something to replace my 60/8 LW. The "54" appears okay except for the stress crack in the hosel from "successfully" attempting to converting an old 52 into the 54. . .

Who is Mike?  The USGA club Database rates it a "yes" in pre-2010 rules and current. 

On March 28, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Stars_Fan_69 said:

Great replies on here. I was thinking about getting this and then i saw it was from square tk square and the last time i did anything with those guys i had to close that email address due to all the spam i got.

But anyways i think i will just stick with my current scor wedges although i need to replace the 55* and was thinking about adding a 60* to the bag. But inheard the dude who ran scor went back to Hogan. If this is ture im going with Hogan. So im in a pickle do i go scor or go Hogan?

I bought it last week. I'm a 19 handicapper. I hit 5 small buckets one day with 2 shots going slightly left, the rest up and straight.  Played the next day and it saved me on two occasions including a 35 yard hit from the bottom of a hill that landed (and stopped) 2 1/2 feet from the hole.  

The naysayers have never tried it and think they're too cool for it.  It does work and anyone interested in it is not on tour anyway. 

On December 12, 2015 at 1:42 PM, mvmac said:

FYI, they are non-conforming.

Not according to the USGA club database. And I doubt a tour player wants/needs one. 

On 12/12/2015 at 0:42 PM, mvmac said:

FYI, they are non-conforming.

To be fair, THIS is the page the USGA database has on the XE1 wedge, with the aforementioned "Yes" under it meeting pre-2010 and post-2010 rules.

1 hour ago, Sinclair said:

And I doubt a tour player wants/needs one. 

I doubt most people would want or need one. I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 foot pole.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I contacted the USGA, and yes, this club is nonconforming.  I wrote to Hank Haney as well and asked him why he endorsinfg a nonconforming club.  Anyway, I just bought a Ping Glide SS 60 degree wedge.  I haven't used it on the course yet, but I like the feel and weight of the club and find it easy to hit.  I bought it with the graphite shaft.

28 minutes ago, headsweep said:

I contacted the USGA, and yes, this club is nonconforming.

I curious now as to why they would contradict their own database on conforming clubs. It appears to clearly state HERE that it conforms to pre-2010 and post-2010 rules.

On March 29, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Matt C said:

I purchased the XE-1 65 degree wedge last month and it is was a total waste of money!

It is extremely hard to use consistently.  I am a 16 handicapper and spent several hours practicing with it - I wouldn't dare use it during a serious round!  You have to hit it very hard and commit to a very full swing, which is very hard to do on short shots.

I think you are much better sticking with a sand iron.

I have never hit the new Hogan's, but they are beautiful wedges. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

I curious now as to why they would contradict their own database on conforming clubs. It appears to clearly state HERE that it conforms to pre-2010 and post-2010 rules.

That's version 2. Maybe version 1 is the non-conforming one?

I don't know. Just guessing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, headsweep said:

I contacted the USGA, and yes, this club is nonconforming.  I wrote to Hank Haney as well and asked him why he endorsinfg a nonconforming club.  Anyway, I just bought a Ping Glide SS 60 degree wedge.  I haven't used it on the course yet, but I like the feel and weight of the club and find it easy to hit.  I bought it with the graphite shaft.

Because they paid him money.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

5 hours ago, iacas said:

That's version 2. Maybe version 1 is the non-conforming one?

I don't know. Just guessing.

Ah, okay. I didn't know there were multiple versions of the club. I just searched XE1 and that was what came up for me.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Ah, okay. I didn't know there were multiple versions of the club. I just searched XE1 and that was what came up for me.

That one says "version 2" right?

I'm assuming there's a version 1. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hi Everyone, Below is the USGA response I received regarding the XE1 wedge as of 2/23/16:

"At this time the USGA has received the 59 and 65 degree wedges for conformance testing and they were found to be non-conforming. We are working with them and in the future we hope to see new models soon but as of now they are non-conforming. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me."

Jeff Banchansky
Equipment Conformance Liaison
email signoff

United States Golf Association
P.O. Box 708, 77 Liberty Corner Road
Far Hills, NJ 07931
(908) 326-1958
www.usga.org

jbanchansky@usga.org

• Upvote 2

On 4/21/2016 at 0:51 PM, headsweep said:

Hi Everyone, Below is the USGA response I received regarding the XE1 wedge as of 2/23/16:

"At this time the USGA has received the 59 and 65 degree wedges for conformance testing and they were found to be non-conforming. We are working with them and in the future we hope to see new models soon but as of now they are non-conforming. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me."

Jeff Banchansky
Equipment Conformance Liaison
email signoff

United States Golf Association
P.O. Box 708, 77 Liberty Corner Road
Far Hills, NJ 07931
(908) 326-1958
www.usga.org

jbanchansky@usga.org

It appears that is now dated information. The USGA has the xE1 listed as approved. Seems, per the email shown above, they were able to work it out and get a new version approved so that should clear this issue up. Version 2 is USGA approved.

I am one that doesn't really have the time to do all the things that will make my game better. I just like to do too many other things so spending hours at the range isn't going to happen. Last year, I purchased a new set of Adams hybrid Iron's and then followed up with their driver and three wood from the previous year. I had very old equipment and I can attest first hand that equipment can and does improve ones game, at least someone of my caliber... or lack there of.

The game is now fun again and knowing I wasn't going to do the things to improve my game, I chose game improvement equipment and it was the best money I ever spent. Love the game again.

Last thing that kills my game is the short chips and sand shots. Just not mentally comfortable hitting them and that just leads to disaster. So.... I just purchased a XE1 and I am a 20 handicapper. I will update what I think after I get a chance to use it. Was ecstatic about the Adams clubs and if I'm not so enthusiastic about this wedge, I will simply send it back but I hope I don't need to.

Clearly this isn't a club for low handicappers...it's targeted towards folks just like me and I'm sure that's a pretty big market.

This I believe is the version that was non-conforming

xe1 version 1.jpg

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

One of my regular playing partners bought the 56* and 65* package and just took them out of his bag after about a month of trying them (in ample practice and play). Aside from getting out of the sand, he found them more damaging and frustrating than helpful - couldn't justify taking up spots in the bag for such limited use clubs.

Great marketing angle, though - sounds like they're selling a decent amount of them. 

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

8 minutes ago, Al B Tross said:

One of my regular playing partners bought the 56* and 65* package and just took them out of his bag after about a month of trying them (in ample practice and play). Aside from getting out of the sand, he found them more damaging and frustrating than helpful - couldn't justify taking up spots in the bag for such limited use clubs.

Great marketing angle, though - sounds like they're selling a decent amount of them. 

I currently don't have a Sand Wedge in the bag and quite frankly, I am a little concerned with the 65*. Thought about getting the 56 as well but wanted to see how this works first. At this point, I don't have much to lose but we shall see if I'm wasting my time. Club should get here tomorrow or Thursday and I did plan on hitting the range to test it. If it helps half as much as my Adams driver, I will be thrilled. If not, I will keep looking for something I feel comfortable swinging.

4 minutes ago, litehacker said:

I currently don't have a Sand Wedge in the bag and quite frankly, I am a little concerned with the 65*. Thought about getting the 56 as well but wanted to see how this works first. At this point, I don't have much to lose but we shall see if I'm wasting my time. Club should get here tomorrow or Thursday and I did plan on hitting the range to test it. If it helps half as much as my Adams driver, I will be thrilled. If not, I will keep looking for something I feel comfortable swinging.

Like just about about everything else with this stupid sport, it all comes down to what works for the individual.  Hope it fits you well like the Adams driver did. One piece of advice I'll pass along that I heard my playing partner say all the time was that the 65* offer no roll whatsoever  no matter how he hit it.  He couldn't get used to the idea of throwing the ball right at the pin and always came up well short.  Something to keep an eye on and consider as you start practicing with it so you can get the right feel.

Hit 'em well. 

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

On December 12, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Bobatl said:

I asked the USGA if the wedge is approved. It was evaluated by USGA and rejected. Some people may not care, but potential buyers should at least be aware of this. 

Mine arrived today. Can't wait to try it.  And I be,I've you received bad information -- per the following link, it is USGA approved:

https://www.usga.org/InfoClubsDB/ResultDisplay.aspx?val=Xe1

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!