IGNORED

Are 'The Voice' and "American Idol' destroying good singing?

dak4n6
Note: This thread is 3196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 hours ago, nevets88 said:

If there are kids singing like this today, we're okay.

Outstanding! Thanks for posting this!

8 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Harry Connick Jr. (American Idol judge) has often criticized contestants for over singing.  His interactions with the other judges can be pretty entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH9l8KlcuBA

So, J-Lo doesn't know what a pentagon in scale is? What about the greaser sitting next to her, he's never heard of the pentatonic scale either? 

I'm calling BS on that scene. Made for TV. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not watch the shows, but surf through them, and only a handful of the talent, it seems, have gained any traction.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Lets face it, how many times has someone won the show(s), released a debut single then dissapeared?. Its happened lots on the UK X Factor. Public votes for their favourite, regardless of talent, then Simon Cowell realises he's not going to make money out of them and drops them from his stable of singers. 

These shows have run their course now. How many more shelf stackers with sob stories and a dream does the world need?

Can you tell im not a fan of these shows? :-P

Edited by RussUK

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

13 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Lets face it, how many times has someone won the show(s), released a debut single then dissapeared?. Its happened lots on the UK X Factor. Public votes for their favourite, regardless of talent, then Simon Cowell realises he's not going to make money out of them and drops them from his stable of singers. 

These shows have run their course now. How many more shelf stackers with sob stories and a dream does the world need?

Yes, most of the winners don't 'make it', but these shows promote that style of singing and it is making its way into the mainstream just by brute exposure. I actually don't like the shows either, but will tune in once in a while because you can catch some real talent once in a while.

Hey what ever happened to that chubby dowdy looking lady who made a splash after winning Brit Idol a bunch of years ago?

dak4n6

2 minutes ago, thug the bunny said:

Yes, most of the winners don't 'make it', but these shows promote that style of singing and it is making its way into the mainstream just by brute exposure. I actually don't like the shows either, but will tune in once in a while because you can catch some real talent once in a while.

Hey what ever happened to that chubby dowdy looking lady who made a splash after winning Brit Idol a bunch of years ago?

Not sure who that was, All i can think of was Susan Boyle who won Britains got talent. She ended up selling millions of records.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RussUK said:

American Idol is done after the next spring season, no?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

It should have been done after last season but I guess they are hoping to gain audience share by doing a farewell season.

Joe Paradiso

I will add this much to the discussion, belting out high notes and the adding vibrato or even  melodic acrobatics (like a coloratura) has long been considered by the large masses as ultimate proof of vocal prowess.

Unlike an actual high level coloratura performing it has nothing to do with music. Lot of these young 'singers' are simply trying to stand out. After all these are audition type shows. It's like a required technical element in an ice skating routine. If you can hold the notes and do 'more' with it precisely WITHOUT oversinging is the true merit. To the trained year, it is the easiest way to separate the men and women from the boys and the girls.

Now mature singers trying to stand out and sell this as actual music is silly but I don't know if there is actually sustenance of the style as actual music all of it's own. I am sure most would agree, that if done proportionately and properly, it does enrich a melody.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Si.

Vishal S.

25 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

It should have been done after last season but I guess they are hoping to gain audience share by doing a farewell season.

You're being generous.  That show (should've) died many seasons ago.

I never watch those shows, but the local minor pro hockey team employs an old contestant named Alexis Gomez to sing the national anthem.  She does ok with it except for the end, Then again most people have trouble with that.

My wife is a singer and she was trained for a broadway style voice.   She tried out for American Idol and was told that they are looking for a pop voice, and it really, really helps to have a story.   American Idol has a lot of good talent, but they put though a lot of people with lesser talent based on those two criteria.   I don't think a couple of shows have a huge impact, but AI did launch Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood who have a lot of fame since.   There are a number of other good singers who have hung on, and generally AI is an afterthought or their foot in the door on something.

I think the Voice is a better show.   They seem to have better overall singers, IMO.   Like any show like this they turn away a lot of good people, and your 30 seconds to audition can be hit or miss.  So if you have an off day with your voice, they don't think you are very good.

IIRC my wife made it through one round, in trying out for Season 3 of AI.  She said better singers than her didn't get through the first couple rounds.

—Adam

I've never watched either show, but I can still see the results of what is being discussed.  Just listen to the butchery of our National Anthem at so many sporting events (and that predates either of those shows).  I don't think I need to say any more.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I honestly wasn't aware the show still existed until I saw an ad somewhere for their "farewell" season.

4 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

You're right, imo it jumped the shark when Simon left.

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, GolfLug said:

I will add this much to the discussion, belting out high notes and the adding vibrato or even  melodic acrobatics (like a coloratura) has long been considered by the large masses as ultimate proof of vocal prowess.

Unlike an actual high level coloratura performing it has nothing to do with music. Lot of these young 'singers' are simply trying to stand out. After all these are audition type shows. It's like a required technical element in an ice skating routine. If you can hold the notes and do 'more' with it precisely WITHOUT oversinging is the true merit. To the trained year, it is the easiest way to separate the men and women from the boys and the girls.

Now mature singers trying to stand out and sell this as actual music is silly but I don't know if there is actually sustenance of the style as actual music all of it's own. I am sure most would agree, that if done proportionately and properly, it does enrich a melody.

Si.

Well stated sir!

dak4n6

• Administrator
1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

You're right, imo it jumped the shark when Simon left.

In the little bits I've seen, I think Harry Connick Jr. does a great job. He's not just the Paula/JLo "everyone is great!" model. He's actually knowledgeable and gives good critiques.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Both shows I watched the first 3-4 seasons and then I lose interest. I like the Voice better, but I really liked the first season of Idol because Clarkson might be the best talent to come out of either show.

Michael

Note: This thread is 3196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!