IGNORED

200+ yards with a 7 iron?

Hitting a pitching wedge thin / skulling / thin bullet will make it go a lot further than a correct shot.  You could be thinning the 7 iron a lil adding to your yardages and drastically effecting roll.  How High are the shots going? What is the shot shape.  Its not uncommon for us newer golfers to draw shorter irons but slice the driver.  

Are you swinging out of your shoes? Are you winded after a range session? 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Something to remember.... lofts. See I ran into this as well when I said "I hit my 7 iron with 155 yd carry." Well, the loft of my 7 iron is 30.0 degrees whereas the loft used for the chart is 34.3 degrees. I was hitting a slightly stronger club than the 6 iron. And hitting my 5 iron with 175 carry? Well that club has 23 degree loft. not 27 degree loft. Now add in the +1 inch length for the club for me as well and I really am hitting a 6+ iron, and a 4+ iron, rather than 7 and 5 irons. 

I'd say the OP is hitting a 6 iron lofted 7 iron with the 120 mph SS column. If he's tall to begin with he's got longer arms and probably +1" shaft lengths on top of it. 

Rick Shiels can hit one of the new TaylorMade 7 irons around 200 yds. in a sterile environment.

Agree, and the real perplexing fact is that his driver only goes 200 yards as well?

He kind of answered above, though. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yeah, he's catching the ball thin, and thus will get a lot of roll. This summer, on hard fairway, on a par 5 I hit a 5i (190) and a thin 6 iron (220) and ended up on the green in 2 for the holy crap moment, and almost proved that one decent and one crappy shot and a putt make eagle, except I missed the eagle putt.

Not putting the ball in the fairway with the driver? Well, yeah, that answers that question.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Well on the side I think you were describing (east side of range) there appears to be a 20 foot drop from teeing area to tree line which will affect both carry and roll. Plus in the pics that ground looks pretty baked out, which if that's what it's like this time of year will make the ball roll well.

About how much of that distance did the ball stay in the air. How high did the ball get?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

I hit my seven iron that far on the driving range when I go down to Walking Stick in Pueblo, where the range is hard dirt and downhill. Otherwise it would take some kind of large tailwind or weird thin shot for me to achieve that kind of distance.

Op, the best way to answer your question would be to look at video of your swing. I would recommend starting a "My Swing" thread to receive better assistance. 

• 6 years later...

I saw this post and I have Ping G400s and my 7 iron flies 195-215 with roll. Usually flying 200. 

it’s consistent from trackman at my golf lessons (my instructor had to confirm it’s accurate), to ranges, and to the golf course. 

I hit my 9 iron 165 yards. 

honestly I don’t want to hit this far. My capping is super spaced out. 

does anyone know why and how I can get this fixed? Am I just ready for blades and not cavity irons?