IGNORED

My Swing (alienator)

alienator
Note: This thread is 2954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got my skytrak today and learned a new lesson. If you hit about 300 balls after a couple hundred no matter how hard you try you can't hit even at 75% of what you did when you started. Seriously though this thing is awesome, I hit soo many balls trying everything out I wore myself out. I haven't done that since I started golfing.

I can see this is going to help me out a lot. Trying to do the steep backswing shallow downswing drill to swing more from the inside the skytrak showed me when I got the clubface closed and when I didn't and it really gave me a feel for what I need to do to hit a draw instead of a push fade. It helped me learn I have a pretty good swing path its face control I really need to work on, 

Ok I need some help here. I got my skytrak and have been using it for a few days now. I know the clubhead speed is estimated based off ball speed but man it seems low. My 7 iron swing speed is averaging 70-74mph, with ball speed averaging 95ish. I know swing speed is more about technique and finesse but I need to figure that out because I work a pretty physical job and am in pretty good shape and would consider myself to be fairly strong. I wouldn't go out and win any strongman or muscle building competitions but when people need to move something heavy like a piano I am the one they call if you know what I am saying.

Clearly I am missing something fundamentally at this point, I wouldn't think I should still be seeing 195-210 as my average driving distance.

• Administrator

What swing speeds can you get if you simply try to swing fast?

You seem to be "steering" a bit, trying to focus more on contact.

Some people simply aren't very fast. Do you run fast? Can you throw a ball fast? Jump high?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You could be on to something with the steering. I have had issues with thins and fats and I felt it really destroyed my ability to score and have made it one of my priorities to fix. 

I played baseball, basketball and ran track in high school and was very good at them. Lots of home runs, held a school record in the 200 until just three years ago(I was a sprinter), but then again that was 22 years ago, maybe I just am slow haha.

I wonder if the Overspeed training I have read about would help in my case. I don't want to become one of these guys that is on a quest for speed and that's it.  Honestly accuracy for me would be my main goal. I do find however that my distance, compared to my playing partners that play at a higher level than me, is a lot shorter. They hit 9irons and wedges into greens that I hit 5irons and hybrids into. I was standing across the fairway from a playing partner and he's hitting a 7iron and I had my 3wood and we were withing 5 yards of the same distance from the green and both hit the green.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2016 at 11:19 PM, alienator said:

Ok I need some help here. I got my skytrak and have been using it for a few days now. I know the clubhead speed is estimated based off ball speed but man it seems low. My 7 iron swing speed is averaging 70-74mph, with ball speed averaging 95ish. I know swing speed is more about technique and finesse but I need to figure that out because I work a pretty physical job and am in pretty good shape and would consider myself to be fairly strong. I wouldn't go out and win any strongman or muscle building competitions but when people need to move something heavy like a piano I am the one they call if you know what I am saying.

Clearly I am missing something fundamentally at this point, I wouldn't think I should still be seeing 195-210 as my average driving distance.

Your making the same mistake I've had a few friends make,  strong and fast are two very different things.  For example in not in good shape,  300#s 6'1".  I've got a driver swing speed that creeps into the teens.  I'm not weak by any standard.  My friend I brought to golf is 280 and not fat like me, he's a brute I've seen him move a piano on his own.  He cannot generate the speed I can.  Why? I'm not exactly sure he's stronger faster and generally more explosive than I am.  One thing I can say is I am far more flexible than he is even being fatter and not as fit.  This allows me to turn more than he can.  

On 1/3/2016 at 11:28 AM, alienator said:

You could be on to something with the steering. I have had issues with thins and fats and I felt it really destroyed my ability to score and have made it one of my priorities to fix. 

I played baseball, basketball and ran track in high school and was very good at them. Lots of home runs, held a school record in the 200 until just three years ago(I was a sprinter), but then again that was 22 years ago, maybe I just am slow haha.

I wonder if the Overspeed training I have read about would help in my case. I don't want to become one of these guys that is on a quest for speed and that's it.  Honestly accuracy for me would be my main goal. I do find however that my distance, compared to my playing partners that play at a higher level than me, is a lot shorter. They hit 9irons and wedges into greens that I hit 5irons and hybrids into. I was standing across the fairway from a playing partner and he's hitting a 7iron and I had my 3wood and we were withing 5 yards of the same distance from the green and both hit the green.

Although the 70-74 mph swing speed seems a bit low, you definitely give up some power on your downswing.  If you watch your FO view, you'll see that the second that you start your downswing, you have almost completely shifted your weight to the lead leg.  

When you get over to your right side so soon, you actually end up having to throw your hands a bit, get out of sequence, and lose the speed.

Since you played baseball (hopefully you were left handed there as well?), I'd say think of the weight transfer in the swing similar to a pitching motion.  You load back on that left leg, then push forward with that same leg INTO your right leg. 

I've posted this drill video quite a bit here it seems, but it helped me SOOO much that I can't resist- 

Now obviously, you'd be reverse of this, but I think you get the point.

Try this drill out.  It's actually pretty tough - just remember to hit the ball and THEN plant that lead foot (as you can see in the video).

• Upvote 1

Favorite Golf Quote: "The harder you work, the luckier you get" - Gary Player

The DIY Golfer (my site)

On 1/3/2016 at 9:19 PM, alienator said:

I got a SkyTrak in the fall as well, and I think it is important to remember that the SkyTrak club speed is calculated and not actually measured.  Because of that, you can deduce that the calculation is being derived purely from ball speed(I am sure it is more specific than this but basic idea).  You can swing the club 140mph, but if you skull the ball vs hit the sweet spot, certainly the ball speed is going to alter, and therefore the calculated club speed will be off.  

In the end, the ball speed is what truly matters to me, so I concentrate on that.  As my path becomes better, impact and contact, the ball speed increases, and therefore distance.

Excited to see how the ST helps you out over the off season, as I am in the same boat, similar index.  I will be following.

Good Luck.

Kevin

I can already see improvements with just the few weeks I have had the skytrak. I got out and played a few rounds in the nice weather last weekend. My driving was absolutely aweful but it was a hook I was fighting and not a slice so it was somewhat a victory. Even fighting the terrible drives I still managed to par some holes and get a birdie because my iron and wedge play was so much improved. This is all due to practicing with the skytrak and working on getting my path from the inside. The only bad iron shots I had were ones that I just didnt get the club face closed and they were a slight push instead of a draw. For someone that has been fighting a slice since I started this was awesome and the misses were just like 5 yards not 30.

Here are my approach shots from 100-125yards. one is my all time and the other is the three rounds I got in this weekend. Id say that's an improvement, can't wait to practice some more but im giving my back a little rest for a few days as I played 3 days in a row.

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Had some amazing weather for this time of year and was able to get out and play three days in a row.

On Friday I played with some friends that play the blues so I shot with them, I usually play from the whites as my average drive is about 190-200 so it makes it worth playing. I found it rather difficult to score because I was over 200 out on my second shot on par 4s a lot of the time and had to lay up. I even had to hit driver on two par threes and one I couldnt even get to the green with driver haha. The good news was that I lost zero balls on a relatively tough course for my area where I generally go through at least half a dozen. I had several up and downs, and a handful of one putts. This along with the better iron play I am getting from practicing with my skytrak resulted in me shooting an even 90. This might not sound like much but before I was averaging high 90s at this course from the whites so I was ecstatic.

On saturday I met my dad to play the same course. hes 65 and we got paired up with another father and son and they all were playing the whites so I played the whites then. The great putting and short game continued as did my decent drives and iron play. I had one blow out hole where I shot an 8 on a par four, I had a bad tee shot and got frustrated and let it get the better of me but at least I left it at that hole. I managed to back to back birdie the next two and I have never back to back birdied ever. Finished the round with an 85 +13 which was my best round to date as far as shots over par, Ive had a lower score but it was also on a par66 short course with tons of par threes and I was +16.

Sunday I met some other friends for another round at the same course. Had what I felt was just a so so day. Shot a ball off the very first tee into a red hazard on a par 5 and still managed to par it from the Blues. Putting and short game continued to be good. I had two holes where I stubbed chips causing me to double chip. Had a blowout hole as well where a very long par 5 just got the better of me with the red hazards and got an 8. Still managed to Finnish with a 91 from the blues.

All in all I either had the best three days in a row ever or all this work I am doing is finally paying off. I now cant wait for good steady weather so I can get out there and see what I can really do. I have started for the first time thinking of my target instead of my swing because I feel confident enough to just trust it and it seems to be doing me wonders. I know I can easiy shave 5 more strokes just by getting my concentration in line. Now if I could just get some distance off the tee who knows what I could do. I have been working on that and managed to get some 135mph ball speeds and 215-230 carries when I really go at it, I just dont feel I can do that on the course. They seem to be playable on the simulator but 1 out of 5 can go wherever it wants hahaha.

12 hours ago, alienator said:

Had some amazing weather for this time of year and was able to get out and play three days in a row.

On Friday I played with some friends that play the blues so I shot with them, I usually play from the whites as my average drive is about 190-200 so it makes it worth playing. I found it rather difficult to score because I was over 200 out on my second shot on par 4s a lot of the time and had to lay up. I even had to hit driver on two par threes and one I couldnt even get to the green with driver haha. The good news was that I lost zero balls on a relatively tough course for my area where I generally go through at least half a dozen. I had several up and downs, and a handful of one putts. This along with the better iron play I am getting from practicing with my skytrak resulted in me shooting an even 90. This might not sound like much but before I was averaging high 90s at this course from the whites so I was ecstatic.

On saturday I met my dad to play the same course. hes 65 and we got paired up with another father and son and they all were playing the whites so I played the whites then. The great putting and short game continued as did my decent drives and iron play. I had one blow out hole where I shot an 8 on a par four, I had a bad tee shot and got frustrated and let it get the better of me but at least I left it at that hole. I managed to back to back birdie the next two and I have never back to back birdied ever. Finished the round with an 85 +13 which was my best round to date as far as shots over par, Ive had a lower score but it was also on a par66 short course with tons of par threes and I was +16.

Sunday I met some other friends for another round at the same course. Had what I felt was just a so so day. Shot a ball off the very first tee into a red hazard on a par 5 and still managed to par it from the Blues. Putting and short game continued to be good. I had two holes where I stubbed chips causing me to double chip. Had a blowout hole as well where a very long par 5 just got the better of me with the red hazards and got an 8. Still managed to Finnish with a 91 from the blues.

All in all I either had the best three days in a row ever or all this work I am doing is finally paying off. I now cant wait for good steady weather so I can get out there and see what I can really do. I have started for the first time thinking of my target instead of my swing because I feel confident enough to just trust it and it seems to be doing me wonders. I know I can easiy shave 5 more strokes just by getting my concentration in line. Now if I could just get some distance off the tee who knows what I could do. I have been working on that and managed to get some 135mph ball speeds and 215-230 carries when I really go at it, I just dont feel I can do that on the course. They seem to be playable on the simulator but 1 out of 5 can go wherever it wants hahaha.

Cool. Glad you are progressing and feeling better about your game.

Try the play forward challenge with your friends who play the tips. That would be a fun change of pace for all.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!