IGNORED

What’s the most famous putter in the history of the game?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What’s the most famous putter in the history of the game?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who's putter is the most famous in the history of the game?

• Jones' Calamity Jane
    • Arnie's 8802
    • Jack's Response
    • Tiger's Newport 2
    • Other

What golfer's putter do you think is the most famous in the history of the game?

Bobby Jones' Calamity Jane.

CIMG3056.thumb.jpg.53b05987429ee52d7f069

Arnold Palmer's 8802.

DSC05362.thumb.JPG.11f602f949aef9e70455fWilson8802.thumb.jpeg.e11ba0a8081f412869

Jack Nicklaus' MacGregor Response.

sdn002213-macgregor-jack-nicklaus-20th-r

Tiger's Newport 2.

Scotty_Cameron_Tiger_Woods_replica-1021x

5674673a3263c_ScreenShot2015-12-18at12.0

If you voted for "Other", please post the putter in this thread.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted Calamity Jane because it's the only one that has a name. ;)

But, for me, growing up in the '80s, the one that always sticks with me is that XXL anser style monstrosity that Jack used for awhile, including to win the '86 Masters.

post-1-0-07277400-1301947350_thumb.jpg

jack-nicklaus-masters-1986_t620.jpg?fbf2

I voted for Calamity Jane. She did help to win the only 4 major grand slam in a calender year, right? Maybe not. 

However, I also think "Billy Baroo" should at least get some honerable mention. :-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I would have to go with Jack's other putter, the George Low Wizard, but that is more personal preference than anything.  It is hard to say any on that list is more famous than the others; they are all significant.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

A couple of others that just came to mind:

Ben Crenshaws putter - 8802 style, not sure exactly what it was though.

Corey Pavins Bullseye. Stood out for the fact that he still used it while everybody else was going towards more "tech" in their putters.  Pretty sure he still uses it in fact.

Calamity Jane is the one that came to mind because it had a name.

I voted 8802 because any of his army know the style, and at the time and even today it was so emulated as a design by other manufacturers that I figured it was 'known' by those who used it even if they didn't know Arnie.

Kevin

I would have voted for Ben Crenshaw's putter.  "Little Ben". 

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Calamity Jane because it's the only one I really remembered.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The only one of those putters that I ever heard of, in that the putter itself generated enough fame to be remembered, is Calamity Jane. Tiger Woods has used a number of putters through the years, and I never had heard of what Jack Nicklaus or Arnold Palmer used. 

If had to choose .. to me it is the late 60's Ping scottsdale anser , i would bet until the Cameron copies came along there were more tour event won with a Ping anser than any other by far , and look now of how many  club manufacturers have made sucessful copies , the only one close would be the 8802 or one similar imo

23 minutes ago, Birdiechaser said:

If had to choose .. to me it is the late 60's Ping scottsdale anser , i would bet until the Cameron copies came along there were more tour event won with a Ping anser than any other by far , and look now of how many  club manufacturers have made sucessful copies , the only one close would be the 8802 or one similar imo

I'd agree with you if we talking about models of putter in general but this is more about individual putters. (i.e. "Arnie's 8802" not the 8802 in general)

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

If fame = popularity of use, I'm going to suggest the Acushnet Bullseye. In the pre-Ping era, an awful lot of golfers carried this in their bag. I used one from about 1970 until 1992.

Of interest to @Birdiechaser, I used a circa-1970 Ping Pal from 2007 to 2011. (Got it used for $30 when Golf Galaxy first came to the area).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 12/18/2015 at 1:15 PM, dchoye said:

I think the bullseye deserve to be one on the list.

It's lost popularity on the tour but its still in abundance at my local miniature golf course.

1 hour ago, Birdiechaser said:

41 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

If fame = popularity of use, I'm going to suggest the Acushnet Bullseye. In the pre-Ping era, an awful lot of golfers carried this in their bag. I used one from about 1970 until 1992.

Of interest to @Birdiechaser, I used a circa-1970 Ping Pal from 2007 to 2011. (Got it used for $30 when Golf Galaxy first came to the area).

Like @SavvySwede pointed out, we're talking about a player's individual putter, not model of putter. I obviously would have listed the PING Anser if that was the case ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On December 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM, cliffj said:

I would have voted for Ben Crenshaw's putter.  "Little Ben". 

That was my first thought too.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Depends on the definition of "famous" as used... I think more people saw Tiger with his Scotty than anyone previously, and he put Scott on the map ... and it is the most recent "famous" putter with the most TV exposure used by the best player of this era.

Although I do remember "Little Ben," "Calamity Jane", the Bullseye (owned a couple), and a Cleveland Classic 8802 copy...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This:

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Note: This thread is 3038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!