IGNORED

The Force Awakens: Spoiler Thread

jbishop15
Note: This thread is 2674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Speaking of Hux, anyone notice that the actor Domhnall Gleeson has had a good year. General Hux in Star Wars, Caleb in Ex-Machina and being in The Revenant. 

Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! Heil Hux! 

He was in Brooklyn too. And going back further, Calvary, Unbroken and Frank. And he was in Black Mirror. Dude just keeps popping up in my movies & tv. Poe was in Ex Machina too.

People have opposing reactions to Hux. They either think he's totally over the top and laugh, or the evilest dictator ever.

This flew over my head which I should have seen before, the Empire is all humans. No aliens. Exclusionary. Give them credit for adding more women and at least one black stormtrooper. The Republic/Resistance consists humans and of all sorts of aliens. Inclusionary.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

This flew over my head which I should have seen before, the Empire is all humans. No aliens. Exclusionary. Give them credit for adding more women and at least one black stormtrooper. The Republic/Resistance consists humans and of all sorts of aliens. Inclusionary.

Emperor Palpatine set into motion purging non-humans from the imperial army weeks after creating the empire. There are very few non-humans to ever be in the imperial armor. The best example is Thrawn. 

Just to tell you how good Thrawn was in the books. He was the only non-human ever to have the title as Grand Admiral. He was probably the best tactician the empire had and the Emperor sent him to the outer-rim to expand the empire instead of having him help in squashing the rebellion. 

Palpatine always thought that humans were a superior race. 

39 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

People have opposing reactions to Hux. They either think he's totally over the top and laugh, or the evilest dictator ever.

I liked his character. He reminded me of this guy from Episode 4. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Conan_Antonio_Motti

In the way he believes in more militaristic power over the force. I like the dynamic between Kylo and Hux. Being that Hux is probably jealous of Kylo and wants to take him down a peg or two. Yet I think he knows that unless Snoke disposes of Kylo then he's probably going to play 2nd fiddle. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

18 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Caleb in Ex-Machina

Oscar Isaac was so good in that movie; real shame he didn't have a bigger role in this movie since he was probably my favorite character in it (besides BB-8!). Apparently he was originally going to die in the crash and was rewritten as coming back later which is why his role was so small, but hopefully this means bigger things are in store.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Steven, you have any insights on the different universe movies being planned?  The only one I remember hearing a rumor about was a Boba Fett movie.

After hearing Finns quick little tidbit about being kidnapped as a child and turned into a numbered storm trooper, I'm thinking that concept (a storm trooper "origin story", not necessarily Finn) is definitely movie worthy.

I can already see the comedic scene of them all practicing at the shooting range.

10 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Steven, you have any insights on the different universe movies being planned?  The only one I remember hearing a rumor about was a Boba Fett movie.

After hearing Finns quick little tidbit about being kidnapped as a child and turned into a numbered storm trooper, I'm thinking that concept (a storm trooper "origin story", not necessarily Finn) is definitely movie worthy.

I can already see the comedic scene of them all practicing at the shooting range.

I defer to @jbishop15 and @saevel25 - they know more. I'm a lapsed fan. There's the next one in (VIII) 1.5 years. Before that is Rogue 1 in production now, which I'm not sure, is something to do with one of the attacks on the death star. There's a Han Solo spinoff coming so maybe Boba Fett will be in that one.

I worry about over saturation. All I'm interested in is the main series - if I hear really good things about the spinoffs, I'll watch them. Marvel & DC keep bludgeoning us with so many movies, I'm just worn out from superheroes, can't get excited over any of them any more.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I defer to @jbishop15 and @saevel25 - they know more. I'm a lapsed fan. There's the next one in (VIII) 1.5 years. Before that is Rogue 1 in production now, which I'm not sure, is something to do with one of the attacks on the death star. There's a Han Solo spinoff coming so maybe Boba Fett will be in that one.

I worry about over saturation. All I'm interested in is the main series - if I hear really good things about the spinoffs, I'll watch them. Marvel & DC keep bludgeoning us with so many movies, I'm just worn out from superheroes, can't get excited over any of them any more.

I agree that marvel has made a lot of movies ... But I've liked most all of them so far, so I'm kind of interested in the same concept with Star Wars - so long as they do it right.  And I think part of that might be, like you said, to not overdo it.  We'll have to wait and see I guess.

6 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I think the spin-off movies are going to be Han's backstory. Fett's story, probably after he escapes the Sarlacc Pit. I also hear rumors of maybe Yoda's story. Also, maybe Rogue Squadron between Episodes 3 and 4, and how they got the death star plans to Leia. 

I am hoping they get a great actor for Han's story. I think that one has huge potential. It would also be awesome to see him save Chewy.

I don't see much on Fett. Honestly I am not sure if he's a redeeming character to follow. He's bad-ass, but for all purposes he's a bad guy. He's not really the anti-hero type character. Unless he suddenly gains some redeemable qualities, or had some we don't know about. He pretty much helped get Han frozen so he could be delivered to Jabba. 

Yea, Han's story would be awesome. I would like to see more on Rogue Squadron. I know the X-Wing series in the books was really popular.  

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

19 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I agree that marvel has made a lot of movies ... But I've liked most all of them so far, so I'm kind of interested in the same concept with Star Wars - so long as they do it right.  And I think part of that might be, like you said, to not overdo it.  We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I look forward to an overwrought period drama from Spielberg about the great sacrifice of the many Bothans.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

My friend pointed this out. Rey's theme has some of Luke's theme in it. John Williams has used the some of the same theme from Anikan to Luke. I can kinda hear it, but I don't have the music ear he has from his years in being in a marching and orchestral band in high school. He's a big fan of John Williams. 

More on John Williams, an interview with the LA Times. 

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-star-wars-force-awakens-music-score-john-williams-20151217-story.html

Ok I got to stop reading star wars on trying to figure out who Rey's Parents are. :)

One person was saying she's Han's and Leia's daughter. A few things, more than just Luke's lightsaber, but more on character interaction that kinda makes this very plausible is that Kylo got really pissed off when the officer mentioned a girl helped the droid off the planet. We could say he was just that pissed off he didn't want to hear anything else. By the tone of his voice after he hacked and slashed the console he sounded like he was pretty much over venting his anger. Yet, mentioning a girl got him right back up into the I will force choke you across the room so I can ask in a very pissed off voice, "what girl!".  I think he knew Rey was on that planet. 

That begs the question, why would he know. If Luke hid the girl there because Kylo destroyed the Jedi Order he was creating.  Then he would probably not know she would be there. If he did know, then that means he probably was the one who stuck her there on that planet. 

Just some thought :) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

That begs the question, why would he know. If Luke hid the girl there because Kylo destroyed the Jedi Order he was creating.  Then he would probably not know she would be there. If he did know, then that means he probably was the one who stuck her there on that planet. 

Just some thought :) 

I think it's perfectly reasonable that Han's son would have known Luke's daughter of almost the same age.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable that Han's son would have known Luke's daughter of almost the same age.

If that's true then Luke just did a shitty job of hiding Rey from Kylo? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
Just now, saevel25 said:

If that's true then Luke just did a shitty job of hiding Rey from Kylo? 

Huh? It took freak occurrences for them to meet again.

Kylo was worried because be would have known she has the Force in her blood.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Huh? It took freak occurrences for them to meet again.

Kylo was worried because be would have known she has the Force in her blood.

I was talking about before he actually saw her in person, he was very upset that a girl helped the droid off the planet. To the point he force chocked a guy across the room. I don't know if just talking about would set him off, or that he knew specifically Rey was on that planet. Which I was just wondering why would Kylo, the guy who destroyed Luke's Jedi Order, know where his daughter was if Luke's purpose for throwing her on that planet was hide her. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

I was talking about before he actually saw her in person, he was very upset that a girl helped the droid off the planet. To the point he force chocked a guy across the room. I don't know if just talking about would set him off, or that he knew specifically Rey was on that planet. Which I was just wondering why would Kylo, the guy who destroyed Luke's Jedi Order, know where his daughter was if Luke's purpose for throwing her on that planet was hide her. 

If all your life you know a girl is the only other with the Force, you'd worry too at the mention of a girl "doing something" too.

Details of deleted scenes. First cut of movie was almost 25 minutes longer. Action scenes, a certain other character used the force, more Han Solo...

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awkens-deleted-scenes/

Steve

This is going to be such a meme when the unofficial spoiler period, whatever that is, is done.

bb8thumbs.gif

Steve

• Administrator

The case for "Rey is Luke's daughter":

• Luke had a daughter, Rey. Han and Leia had a son, Ben.
  • They both trained together at Luke's new Jedi Academy.
  • When the Knights of Ren helped turn Ben, and he slaughtered the other padawans, he either warned Rey, she escaped, or she knew it was coming and escaped.
  • Luke felt shame for the slaying of all the Jedi padawans and knew then that Ben/Kylo (sKYwalker/soLO) and Rey were the only two "Force" people left.
  • To stop Rey from being killed, to protect her, he blocked or wiped her memories and put her on Jakku.
  • When Kylo hears about "a girl" doing something extraordinary he gets a feeling that it's THAT girl - his cousin, and the one he knew or even helped escape the massacre.
  • When Kylo uses the force on Rey, he describes a planet like the one where Luke is found.
  • That sequence of delving into her memories and thoughts also unlocks or undoes a bit of the "memory block/wipe" from before.
  • When she touches Luke's lightsaber she has visions that involve Luke and Anakin, Kylo killing all the padawans, etc.
  • Leia recognizes her almost immediately.
  • R2-D2 awakens when she comes nearby.
  • Kennedy has said that Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers.

I think there's almost too much there to really make her be someone else's daughter. Everything is pretty neatly explained there. Star Wars has never really been about a big plot twist. Yes, "I am your father" was a big twist, but it's also just one born out of ignorance - there was never really any story going the opposite direction, just a lack of information before, suddenly, "oh, hey, I'm your papa."

1 minute ago, iacas said:

The case for "Rey is Luke's daughter":

• Luke had a daughter, Rey. Han and Leia had a son, Ben.
  • They both trained together at Luke's new Jedi Academy.
  • When the Knights of Ren helped turn Ben, and he slaughtered the other padawans, he either warned Rey, she escaped, or she knew it was coming and escaped.
  • Luke felt shame for the slaying of all the Jedi padawans and knew then that Ben/Kylo (sKYwalker/soLO) and Rey were the only two "Force" people left.
  • To stop Rey from being killed, to protect her, he blocked or wiped her memories and put her on Jakku.
  • When Kylo hears about "a girl" doing something extraordinary he gets a feeling that it's THAT girl - his cousin, and the one he knew or even helped escape the massacre.
  • When Kylo uses the force on Rey, he describes a planet like the one where Luke is found.
  • That sequence of delving into her memories and thoughts also unlocks or undoes a bit of the "memory block/wipe" from before.
  • When she touches Luke's lightsaber she has visions that involve Luke and Anakin, Kylo killing all the padawans, etc.
  • Leia recognizes her almost immediately.
  • R2-D2 awakens when she comes nearby.
  • Kennedy has said that Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers.

I think there's almost too much there to really make her be someone else's daughter. Everything is pretty neatly explained there. Star Wars has never really been about a big plot twist. Yes, "I am your father" was a big twist, but it's also just one born out of ignorance - there was never really any story going the opposite direction, just a lack of information before, suddenly, "oh, hey, I'm your papa."

This makes a lot of sense, you're not the only one thinking along these lines and it worries me in that the next episode might be similar to The Empire Strikes Back, Luke trains Rey. Have to trust in the folks making the movie.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!