IGNORED

The Force Awakens: Spoiler Thread

jbishop15
Note: This thread is 2652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Just now, nevets88 said:

This makes a lot of sense, you're not the only one thinking along these lines and it worries me in that the next episode might be similar to The Empire Strikes Back, Luke trains Rey. Have to trust in the folks making the movie.

I'm not that worried, to be honest.

Maybe Luke never trains Rey, and he says something like "I put you on that planet because I wanted to protect you, and to keep you from this life." She defies him and keeps fighting. Then Luke sacrifices himself to save Rey at some pivotal point in VIII, likely at the hands of Kylo.

See? You'd watch that. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm not that worried, to be honest.

Maybe Luke never trains Rey, and he says something like "I put you on that planet because I wanted to protect you, and to keep you from this life." She defies him and keeps fighting. Then Luke sacrifices himself to save Rey at some pivotal point in VIII, likely at the hands of Kylo.

See? You'd watch that. :-)

I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! 

Yes... I... Would... :-)

Star Wars 7, 8, 9. Han dies. Luke dies. Leia dies. THEY ALL FREAKIN' DIE!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

18 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

This makes a lot of sense, you're not the only one thinking along these lines and it worries me in that the next episode might be similar to The Empire Strikes Back, Luke trains Rey. Have to trust in the folks making the movie.

I doubt it will be. Karsdan said that it will be nothing like Empires or really anything he's ever seen in Star Wars. 

On top of that, back in early December, screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan — who wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi as well as The Force Awakens, spoke with the LA Times and said:

"These movies will all be so different. ["Episode VIII" director] Rian Johnson is a friend of mine — he's going to make some weird thing. If you've seen Rian's work, you know it's not going be like anything that's ever been in "Star Wars."

I think the reason why JJ and Karsdan went with a much more Episode IV feel was to bring back that renewal of Star Wars. First to give those who saw the originals a sense of nostalgia (I think they went too much, oh well), and to introduce new people to the genre. 

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

The case for "Rey is Luke's daughter":

• They both trained together at Luke's new Jedi Academy.

I think there might be an age gap on that one.

There is a 10 year gap in age between Kylo and Rey. Rey was born 11 years after Endor. Kylo was born about a year after Endor. The FA movie happened 30 years. Rey was stuck on Jakku when she was 5 years old. At that time Kylo would have been 15 years old. This is information from the Star Wars Wikia. They cite that age from the Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary. Pablo Hidalgo, the guy JJ turned to for all the star wars history and character stuff. He stated Kylo is about 29-30 years old. 

34 minutes ago, iacas said:
  • Luke felt shame for the slaying of all the Jedi padawans and knew then that Ben/Kylo (sKYwalker/soLO) and Rey were the only two "Force" people left.

Nice find on the Kylo = sKYwalker/soLO reference. :-D

37 minutes ago, iacas said:
  • When Kylo hears about "a girl" doing something extraordinary he gets a feeling that it's THAT girl - his cousin, and the one he knew or even helped escape the massacre.
  • When Kylo uses the force on Rey, he describes a planet like the one where Luke is found.

Kylo's interaction with Rey does seem that he knows here and has a much more stronger emotional reaction when talking to her. 

When he force holds her he calls her a scavenger with disdain. It kinda makes me wonder if he was jealous of her power or maybe being Luke's kid. Maybe he just doesn't like scavengers :)

40 minutes ago, iacas said:
  • Leia recognizes her almost immediately.
  • R2-D2 awakens when she comes nearby.
  • Kennedy has said that Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers.

That was a strange scene for me. Leia knows Han has died. Chewy is Hans best friend and a very good friend to Leia for a long time. Yet when he exits the ship he walks past Leia with no reaction really. Maybe there was a slight moment when he noticed her. Maybe Chewy was just in a daze about it. Leia didn't stop to comfort him. She went straight to Rey and embraced her like she knew her, like she was family. 

I think there was a moment when Han asked her name. She said Rey, I think he said something like, "Rey huh". I think he knew who she was. Which is why I think he offered her a job to begin with. I don't think he just offers anyone a job unless they are family or defacto-family. 

For me, either she is Luke's daughter. Maybe she was found by Luke and adopted by the him or taken under his wing. I am not entirely sure all the padawans would be known by Leia to the point she would recognize them 14 years later. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

20 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Nice find on the Kylo = sKYwalker/soLO reference. :-D

Agreed, but .... who gave him that name?  His name from his parents is Ben, right?  Why would he want to rename himself something associated with his parents?  Or even less likely, why would Snope or whoever else is in charge of giving people their Dark Side names want to maintain that association?

Speaking of names, say one of those silly facebook posts the other day that told you how to make your own star wars name.

First name = First 3 letters of last name followed by first two letters of first name.  Last name = first two letters of dads first name followed by first 3 letter of birth city

I am Seban Lafre.

Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. Always on the move. 

If you disowned your dad and saw him for the first time 10 years later, would you call him by his full name? I dunno what I would address him as.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

The case for "Rey is Luke's daughter":

• Luke had a daughter, Rey. Han and Leia had a son, Ben.
  • They both trained together at Luke's new Jedi Academy.

I'll add another one.

• Rey knew about the Jedi mind tricks and how to use it. This wouldn't be something that's common knowledge when there haven't been Jedi around (publicly) for several decades. 
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

39 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Agreed, but .... who gave him that name?  His name from his parents is Ben, right?  Why would he want to rename himself something associated with his parents?  Or even less likely, why would Snope or whoever else is in charge of giving people their Dark Side names want to maintain that association?

Speaking of names, say one of those silly facebook posts the other day that told you how to make your own star wars name.

First name = First 3 letters of last name followed by first two letters of first name.  Last name = first two letters of dads first name followed by first 3 letter of birth city

I am Seban Lafre.

Since Kylo hasn't completed his training that isn't his dark side name. It sounds like a name he created himself to push away his heritage being Ben Solo. 

Douma Pacan

1 minute ago, mvmac said:

I'll add another one.

• Rey knew about the Jedi mind tricks and how to use it. This wouldn't be something that's common knowledge when there haven't been Jedi around (publicly) for several decades. 

It does sound like she knows the stories of the Jedi. The strange part with her being Luke's kid, unless her mind was altered, is when she exclaims Luke as a legend. It sounds like he whipped out her memory of her being his daughter. 

I do think a lot of her force tricks are picking it up on the fly a bit. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It sounds like a name he created himself to push away his heritage being Ben Solo. 

Right, so doesn't it seem weird that he'd create one that cleverly contained his heritage?

51 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I am Seban Lafre.

Mclmi Vidal

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

I am Seban Lafre.

Fajda Danew

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I think there was a moment when Han asked her name. She said Rey, I think he said something like, "Rey huh". I think he knew who she was. Which is why I think he offered her a job to begin with. I don't think he just offers anyone a job unless they are family or defacto-family. 

Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!!  Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!! Chewy Punch it!!!

Solo offered Luke a job it new hope. That could either further your case or just be a throw back reference.  

Obi had a love interest in one of the Animated series that I Watched with my kids. It was partnered with Disney I believe but she was killed and it would have been during the clone wars so she would have to be a decendant.  

I haven't read any of the books.

I also thought that Han and Leia were playing their hand pretty close with Rey but all of these arguments could apply to her being Ren's sister and their daughter hidden away.  I think it's anyone's guess.  Maybe Ren killed all of the other padowans while Luke was off copulating and that's why he went into hiding.  Shame shame Luke lol 

Wel Jo Luhay out :)

18 minutes ago, LagShaft said:

I also thought that Han and Leia were playing their hand pretty close with Rey but all of these arguments could apply to her being Ren's sister and their daughter hidden away.  I think it's anyone's guess.  Maybe Ren killed all of the other padowans while Luke was off copulating and that's why he went into hiding.  Shame shame Luke lol 

Wel Jo Luhay out :)

Ren was born about a year after Endor
Rey was born about 11 years after Endor. 
Rey was left on Jakku when she was 5 years old. 

I suspect that Luke fled and hid Rey really close to just after Ren destroyed all the other Jedi. That would make Ren about 15 years old. 

I've been trying to figure out the connection between Luke and Jakku. Why would Luke pick that planet. It was due to San Tekka, the old guy in the first scene. He helped Luke search out Jedi lore that was hidden by the Sith to keep Jedi from reviving. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka

I know Kylo Ren knew San Tekka as well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
6 hours ago, saevel25 said:

There is a 10 year gap in age between Kylo and Rey. Rey was born 11 years after Endor. Kylo was born about a year after Endor. The FA movie happened 30 years. Rey was stuck on Jakku when she was 5 years old. At that time Kylo would have been 15 years old. This is information from the Star Wars Wikia. They cite that age from the Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary. Pablo Hidalgo, the guy JJ turned to for all the star wars history and character stuff. He stated Kylo is about 29-30 years old. 

How old do you think Rey looks?

And so what if he's older? It still fits. Ben was being trained by Luke, turned on him, and spared the 5-to-7-year-old Rey from being massacred (or let her escape, or found that she escaped, or whatever).

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

I'll add another one.

Yep. That too. I think her memory was jostled loose. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

How old do you think Rey looks?

And so what if he's older? It still fits. Ben was being trained by Luke, turned on him, and spared the 5-to-7-year-old Rey from being massacred (or let her escape, or found that she escaped, or whatever).

I guessed 18-19 after I saw the movie. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS

Are we beyond SPOILERS yet? Waited a couple of weeks and went this morning with my 9 yr old son - maybe 3 dozen people in the theatre.

It is a well executed, well acted movie, well except for Carrie Fisher - but I don't know what she could do with that part - Leia was always serious. Enough funny lines and scary monsters to break up the drama.

As a movie experience, it is a must see.

The story, however, seemed all too familiar - if you saw George Lucas' comments, he has something - it borrows a lot from the first movie(s), doesn't take many chances, the Death Star is now mega big and the weapon is planet-based (although I did not follow everything), the Father-Son scene struck me as similar to Obi-wan v. Vader in the first movie, the usual fighters were saving the day, the usual bad guys in similar scenes - the General on the ship, the ghostly supreme lord, etc. Rey picked up the force quickly ... seemed unrealistic after remembering Luke's struggles. It's been almost 40 years ... I enjoyed the movie, but as many have stated, Disney played it safe and that's okay...only I'd like a little more originality.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

5 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

seemed unrealistic after remembering Luke's struggles. It's been almost 40 years ... I enjoyed the movie, but as many have stated, Disney played it safe and that's okay...only I'd like a little more originality.

The story behind Anikan's training has never been told in the movies. The kid had uncanny ability to pilot pretty much anything, very similar to Rey. Also, even though Anikan was old to start training, he was still way younger than Luke. I think a lot of that might be that Luke never practiced the Force at a young age. Luke was 19 when he went off on his journey.  Also I think it might have been what could Lucas achieve with 1970's special effects? 

Anikan was pretty much on par with Obi-Wan in Episode 3.  Anikan was 23 years old when he betrayed the Jedi Order in episode 3. Rey is 19 in this series. Given she does not have same experience as Anikan being under Obi-Wan. If she is Luke's kid, and if she had some training before she was left on Jakku. I could see it very possible she would pick things up more easily. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

The story behind Anikan's training has never been told in the movies. The kid had uncanny ability to pilot pretty much anything, very similar to Rey. Also, even though Anikan was old to start training, he was still way younger than Luke. I think a lot of that might be that Luke never practiced the Force at a young age. Luke was 19 when he went off on his journey.  Also I think it might have been what could Lucas achieve with 1970's special effects? 

Anikan was pretty much on par with Obi-Wan in Episode 3.  Anikan was 23 years old when he betrayed the Jedi Order in episode 3. Rey is 19 in this series. Given she does not have same experience as Anikan being under Obi-Wan. If she is Luke's kid, and if she had some training before she was left on Jakku. I could see it very possible she would pick things up more easily. 

I think ... the movie did a poor job of portraying her remembering any informal training, if she is Luke's daughter. It's as if it came to her ... they could have developed that somehow in the writing of the story. Was not impressed by the story, but the execution of what they offered the audience was terrific, and the movie moved, which helped.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 2652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!