IGNORED

The Force Awakens: Spoiler Thread

jbishop15
Note: This thread is 2673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

46 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Finally saw it yesterday. Excellent overall. Harrison, Fisher et al, did a great job for the old-timers and the young actors were excellent. It was a good story line too. That being said, a couple of holes in the story for me:

1. I have to say first off, it's time for the Dark side to stop building Death Stars. They are 0 for 3. They always leave some easy to figure out way of destroying them by a small band of rebels. I think JJ Abrams poked fun at this in the scene where they are trying to get Intel from Fin.

Lastly, I think Steve, @nevets88, was more excited to see this movie than any person in North America!

Hello, my name is ****. My voice is my passport. Verify Me. Hello, my name is ****. My voice is my passport. Verify Me. Hello, my name is ****. My voice is my passport. Verify Me. Hello, my name is ****. My voice is my passport. Verify Me. Hello, my name is ****. My voice is my passport. Verify Me. Hello, my name is ****. My voice is my passport. Verify Me. Hello, my name is ****. My voice is my passport. Verify Me. Hello, my name is ****. My voice is my passport. Verify Me. 

Ha ha. I got swept up with the media blitz. Listening to the podcasts, my fandom is but a young padawan compared to some out there. It was fun to partake in the pop culture phenomenon. 

This Death Star did destroy, what 5 planets? Most successful Death Star, evah! Forget the fact if you drain away the local sun, everything gets blown to smithereens. Maybe the universe had multiple suns.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:
  1. Four people, one a sanitation guy, sneak onto an apparently unprotected Death Star and happen upon a highly vulnerable yet lightly guarded area that if messed up would take down the entire planet. Seems way too easy.
  2. Agree
  3. Jedi can see into the future. Luke, Darth, Obi-wan, Drunk-on-Gin and any Sith would have laid Fin out with one swipe, unless Fin is secretly also with the Force. Ren could stop at blaster shot with one hand, control other's physical movements. I little flesh wound should not have slowed him down. Darth had no legs.
  4. Another thing. The planet was falling apart, Ren had the snot beat out of him. And somehow Hux was able to find him from the other side of the planet before they all died. They'll have to explain that in the next movie.

1. Four people sneak onto a planet that probably has way less than the normal population. Covert ops would have been easier to move around on that base than anything. 

Also, once the resistance shows up then a lot of those units go on into Tie Fighters. Think they need two per Tie Fighter and there was a lot of Tie Fighters trying to take out the resistance. Also, do you think they would have ever thought that Han would have hyperspaced jumped behind the shield. Yea it was a daring move. 

3. Jedi do not see the immediate future that allows them to know what you are going to do before you do it. I wouldn't overestimate the amount of power they have. They can see snippets of what could happen. Palpatine foresaw his victory at Endor. Yet, one Sith foresaw his downfall. Even Yoda warned about believing in premonitions so much. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

11 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

3. Jedi do not see the immediate future that allows them to know what you are going to do before you do it. I wouldn't overestimate the amount of power they have. They can see snippets of what could happen. Palpatine foresaw his victory at Endor. Yet, one Sith foresaw his downfall. Even Yoda warned about believing in premonitions so much. 

They can see some of the future, especially that small short-term stuff. That's how they can deflect blaster fire with their lightsabers. A non-Force user wouldn't be able to do that, for instance. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

15 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

1. Four people sneak onto a planet that probably has way less than the normal population. Covert ops would have been easier to move around on that base than anything. 

An old guy, large noisy dog with a cross bow and a garbage man do not Covert Ops make! :-P

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I agree with @boogielicious on Hux being too young. The first thing I thought when I saw him was "if they have a 20 something General in charge of all their operations they are in big trouble". I understand Kylo Ren being seduced by the dark side as well as Anakin, there is a theme there that it's easier to prey on the young who are more emotional and not as world wise. I thought the actor playing Hux was good but his age was just hard to accept. I half expected him to pull out a hoodie and start quoting Eminem. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I agree with @boogielicious on Hux being too young. The first thing I thought when I saw him was "if they have a 20 something General in charge of all their operations they are in big trouble". I understand Kylo Ren being seduced by the dark side as well as Anakin, there is a theme there that it's easier to prey on the young who are more emotional and not as world wise. I thought the actor playing Hux was good but his age was just hard to accept. I half expected him to pull out a hoodie and start quoting Eminem. 

Hux is not in his 20s. The actor is 32.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, jamo said:

They can see some of the future, especially that small short-term stuff. That's how they can deflect blaster fire with their lightsabers. A non-Force user wouldn't be able to do that, for instance. 

I once thought I had powers of the force, and then found out it was my ...  anxiety ... the dark side.

Once that fantasy was put aside to the Santa Clause bin, I found that thinking positive is a force.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Hux is not in his 20s. The actor is 32.

I don't think 32 is experienced enough to be a general in charge of hundreds of thousands of people and that type of equipment either. My point was he looks way, way to young to be a general with that much responsibility and power at his disposal even if he is a bit of a puppet. 

• Administrator
Just now, Gator Hazard said:

I don't think 32 is experienced enough to be a general in charge of hundreds of thousands of people and that type of equipment either. My point was he looks way, way to young to be a general with that much responsibility and power at his disposal even if he is a bit of a puppet. 

Okay, and…? What? Maybe nobody older was any good. Maybe they'd been defeated before, and they needed some young, energetic blood to lead? They're really just all following Snoke, aren't they?

How old was Luke when he saved the universe? He was 19 in Episode IV.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Okay, and…? What? Maybe nobody older was any good. Maybe they'd been defeated before, and they needed some young, energetic blood to lead? They're really just all following Snoke, aren't they?

How old was Luke when he saved the universe? He was 19 in Episode IV.

Yes he was. And he wasn't a general amongst an army of hundreds of thousands. You don't find it odd that they show armies of that vast a size and no one is old enough and capable or experienced enough such as the generals in 4, 5, and 6? 

Its an opinion, I thought it took away from the movie a bit to have a General that young who in almost any other army that size would have a tough time garnering the respect of his troops and other generals and high ranking officers under his command.  

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Gator Hazard said:

Yes he was. And he wasn't a general amongst an army of hundreds of thousands. You don't find it odd that they show armies of that vast a size and no one is old enough and capable or experienced enough such as the generals in 4, 5, and 6? 

No, why would I care? It's Star Wars. It's fiction. I don't really form opinions on whether a 32-year-old is capable of leading an army.

Heck, Jeanne d'Arc was only 19 when she died.

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, why would I care? It's Star Wars. It's fiction. I don't really form opinions on whether a 32-year-old is capable of leading an army.

Heck, Jeanne d'Arc was only 19 when she died.

Wasn't she more of a figurehead and inspiration than a military strategist and leader with others calling the big shots?  Winning battles and winning a war are also of course different things  does Hux have what it takes to win the worst the ripe old age of low to mid 30s?

I thought you would have pulled out Alexander the Great who actually was a hell of a field commander and strategist for his age or any age. :-)

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Gator Hazard said:

I thought you would have pulled out Alexander the Great who actually was a hell of a field commander and strategist for his age or any age. :-)

I don't give it that much thought.

2 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

Didn't bother me. I think that's just Hollywood type casting to say that generals need to be gray haired. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

51 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Didn't bother me. I think that's just Hollywood type casting to say that generals need to be gray haired. 

I guess most modern armies today of what would be their size and stature apparently typecast as well then. It wouldn't have hurt if he or they at least have a few wrinkles on their face, doesn't have to be gray hair. I would think that considering the mass army probably isn't even aware of Snoke they would probably have a difficult time taking seriously a what appears to be our equivalent of a 4 star general.  I'd also think a being like Snoke would understand this and the politics and rationale of having a commander that gives the appearance of a lot of time and experience at the helm so that there are no real issues.  Again, just my opinion. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

5 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I guess most modern armies today of what would be their size and stature apparently typecast as well then. It wouldn't have hurt if he or they at least have a few wrinkles on their face, doesn't have to be gray hair. I would think that considering the mass army probably isn't even aware of Snoke they would probably have a difficult time taking seriously a what appears to be our equivalent of a 4 star general.  I'd also think a being like Snoke would understand this and the politics and rationale of having a commander that gives the appearance of a lot of time and experience at the helm so that there are no real issues.  Again, just my opinion. 

I think of it this way. The guy Vader force choked in episode 4 for having so called "lack of faith" was an admiral. This guy had a higher rank than Hux ;) 

I think the empire is good at having young people in higher ranks :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Me neither. Probably also has something to do with Disney catering to youth market and Abrams. Maybe he wanted Hux to have an age equivalent rival in Ren. 

J.J. Abrams always wanted General Hux to be played by a young actor. He wanted the character to have a sense of tragedy and the fact that he appears to be too young to be in charge of a murderous group added to that. According to Abrams, the character's name was created after he noticed an old, abandoned grave site with the name Hux engraved on the stone.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/trivia?item=tr2609740

Also, the excerpt from the official visual dictionary - if the First Order is a break off, leaving the hardliners behind, it makes sense that the hardliners are the older ones and the reformers are younger.

QLGdlDS.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

18 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Me neither. Probably also has something to do with Disney catering to youth market and Abrams. Maybe he wanted Hux to have an age equivalent rival in Ren. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/trivia?item=tr2609740

Also, the excerpt from the official visual dictionary - if the First Order is a break off, leaving the hardliners behind, it makes sense that the hardliners are the older ones and the reformers are younger.

You got to think that the Empire was formed out of fear. I bet a good portion was very much opposed to the Empire and probably wanted to go back to the Senate. Then you have those guys who are diehard Empire guys. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 2673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!