IGNORED

The Force Awakens: Spoiler Thread

jbishop15
Note: This thread is 2679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Welcome to the spoiler thread for the newest Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens. 

Spoiler

My favorite moment was when Rey cut the engines to the Falcon, and spun it around so that Finn could shoot the Tie-fighters. Totally bad ass, totally awesome. 

Be careful in this thread, because the stuff still shows up on the front page. Nothing we can do about that. 

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm going to prepend each post with this: 

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Spoiler

Rey is the most super competent heroine, probably ever. Flipping the ship so Finn could get a shot at the tie fighter. Closing the door on the monster, chopping it to save Finn was especially ninja. Fixing the Falcon on the fly by pulling some part, impressing Han Solo. Also, when Finn grabs her hand and she says why are you holding my hand? This is my planet! Also when Finn pushes down on her head to get a better view.

But when Rey out does Kylo w/her powers of the force, pulls the lightsaber to her from the snow, stares him down and then fires up the lightsaber and gives Kylo a look and Kylo is like WTF?. THAT WAS ****ING EPIC. Theater went crazy.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Me too!

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Spoiler

Cool little bit of trivia: the stormtrooper that Rey mind tricks is actually Daniel Craig in a cameo performance. 

I love that Kylo Ren is a Vader wannabe. He worships his grandfather, but missed the fact that Darth Vader turned to the dark side to protect the galaxy. Ren is a weenie who turned to the dark side because of the allure of it's power alone, not for any noble reason. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Spoiler

Driver is a great pick for Kylo. Kylo also missed the fact Anakin turned to the light side, although at the very last minute. His temper tantrums with the lightsaber were funny. I wonder how people are going to avoid getting spoiled by what he did to Solo. Nutjobs are going to post it everywhere.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just to be clear, this is a thread where spoilers will exist (a thread such as this was mentioned in the other, non-spoiler, thread about the movie)

Now, just to ensure you realize what you're doing if you've come here, THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.

I was surprised by Han Solo's death from a story point of view, but not from the perspective of Harrison Ford acting in the movies. Kylo Ren appeared conflicted as though he would sway to the light (and it would make for a classic redemption scene if he turned over his saber), but Harrison Ford had voiced displeasure to acting in the first 3 Star Wars movies in addition to the difficulties he caused filming this movie with his various injuries. It made sense from a casting point of view to be rid of him, but made for a somewhat surprising twist (even if it was something that could be an obvious prediction going into the scene as a "twist" to be thrown in the plot) in the series since Han Solo was such an iconic character.

I liked the ending, but I was slightly confused as to why Rey offered Luke his old lightsaber. I know that it probably has significance to him in terms of the memories and heritage of the saber, but he had already built himself his own saber (perhaps she was to complete training as a jedi and build her own herself?). I was also a bit confused by how the lady actually found the lightsaber: it fell into the depth of a gas giant planet. Maybe she happened to be flying underneath the port Luke fell through right as the lightsaber fell down? If so, did she also keep Luke's hand along with the saber?

It also seems they changed the location of the first Jedi temple. Prior to the Disney acquisition, the first Jedi temple was either on Tython (where the Jedi originated from) or Ilum, where the Kyber crystals for lightsabers grew in abundance. Now it appears to be some ocean world.

19 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Hide contents

Driver is a great pick for Kylo. Kylo also missed the fact Anakin turned to the light side, although at the very last minute. His temper tantrums with the lightsaber were funny. I wonder how people are going to avoid getting spoiled by what he did to Solo. Nutjobs are going to post it everywhere.

Spoiler

They're going to spoil the hell out of that. People need to see this movie ASAP. 

Ren is such a child, and Driver played him so, so well. 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

@Pretzel We're prepending every post with the above because text in the spoilers box still appear in post previews on the site.

Spoiler

@Pretzel Solo is such a beloved character. No one wants to see him die, I suspect a lot of people felt the way you did despite everything pointing to the obvious. 

Maybe Rey gave Luke the lightsaber to convince him to come back? It's also great symbolism. Passing back the torch.

I'm not sure about the Jedi temple location. If they're throwing out the EU stuff, I guess anything is fair game.

Steve

20 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

@Pretzel We're prepending every post with the above because text in the spoilers box still appear in post previews on the site.

Yeah, I figured at least some of mine would show on the main page so when I had started my thread (without seeing this one) I made sure to add plenty of fluff before getting into the spoilers.

Spoiler

I feel like Driver did a good job playing Kylo Ren as the spoiled child persona, but at the same time I was somewhat surprised when he took the helmet off. I was just surprised by how insignificant and childish he seemed without his mask, which I suspect was intentional juxtaposition.

The conversation about Ren not knowing of Vader's return to the light is one that I think is moot. Unless Luke Skywalker was professing the return of Anakin to the light to his students, nobody would have known about what happened in his dying moments.

I predict some sort of redemption storyline for Ren, with him eventually becoming a jedi in episode 9. Painting a struggle in him between the light and the dark makes this seem like an obvious story for them to follow.

The most curious thing to me is the hologram that controls Ren and the First Order, Snoke. What is his background and who is he?

4 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Yeah, I figured at least some of mine would show on the main page so when I had started my thread (without seeing this one) I made sure to add plenty of fluff before getting into the spoilers.

Hide contents

I feel like Driver did a good job playing Kylo Ren as the spoiled child persona, but at the same time I was somewhat surprised when he took the helmet off. I was just surprised by how insignificant and childish he seemed without his mask, which I suspect was intentional juxtaposition.

The conversation about Ren not knowing of Vader's return to the light is one that I think is moot. Unless Luke Skywalker was professing the return of Anakin to the light to his students, nobody would have known about what happened in his dying moments.

I predict some sort of redemption storyline for Ren, with him eventually becoming a jedi in episode 9. Painting a struggle in him between the light and the dark makes this seem like an obvious story for them to follow.

The most curious thing to me is the hologram that controls Ren and the First Order, Snoke. What is his background and who is he?

Spoiler

He would know about Vader's return to the light because he was raised as Ben Solo, and trained under Luke. He knows, he just missed the point. 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Spoiler

Yes, Kylo is too far gone for any reasonable reasoning.

Who is Rey? How did she acquire the Force? What happened in the room with the chest w/the lightsaber? Yes, that was her "awakening", but there's more, no? Who are her parents?

All the Millennium Falcon scenes were amazing. Just barely grazing the sand, the super sharp turns, gyroscopic views, bouncing off the snow.

Wasn't so crazy about the monsters. Just like the monster in Star Trek.

Steve

Lovely...tried it on my phone first and couldn't get the spoilers tag to show.

Anyway, this movie was great.  I'm a huge Star Wars fan.   I went to the movies last night in full Han Solo gear.  Star Wars was a high light of a crappy child-hood and I was 10 when ROTJ came out.   That was such a good movie (Yes, I know...Ewoks).   it was the final battle for the galaxy.   And in the early 80s, there weren't many other things competing with Star Wars.   It's not like you could wait a month for the next big blockbuster.   Like a lot of people I had my issues with the prequels.   I liked a lot of AOTC and loved ROTS.   Phantom Menace isn't as bad as some people make out.   But there are a lot of flaws.   Anyone who wants a funny take should watch RedLetterMedia on YouTube about the prequels.   Hilarious.   Anyway, here's my thoughts.

Spoiler

The movie definitely hits the beats of the original Star Wars and clearly some of the plot points are similar, but that's being a little conservative with the film, which you probably have to expect for a 40 year franchise worth billions of dollars.   That said, it was expertly and most importantly, lovingly done.

This was a great mixture of old and new.   It builds on the original trilogy and it's characters without copying.   The opening scrawl of "Luke Skywalker is missing" puts the theories that Luke turned to the Dark Side to rest, since he's referred to as the last Jedi.   His absence from all but the last minute was un-expected, but in the context of the story it works.

Rey and Finn did fantastic with their roles, basically stepping in to replace beloved characters.   Rey in particular is a great heroine and I hope that we see more movies than have that strong of a character as a protagonist.   

Other impressions:

The overall scale seemed a little smaller to me.   Not having anything invested in the Republic capital planet being destroyed lessened it's impact.  For the first time since the original the action is largely single threaded.   Whereas other films have several plot lines, this largely follows Finn and Rey and doesn't give away too much about the villains.   The hyperspace travels seemed a little short too, and the idea that the Starkiller's weapon can travel that far is really murky.   Does the planet move?   Does it use up it's own sun....and then what?

We have a big mystery with Rey, namely who her parents are and why she was left on Jakku.   We got to see all the characters we love, although R2D2 and C3PO were largely cameos.   Even Leia was not in as much as I thought.   

Kylo Ren's talk with Vader was creepy enough, although I got the sense half-way thru that he is still learning, and has a lot of learn.   Incredibly the officer who delivered a bad report to him wasn't force choked.   But slashing up the room was well done.

What I like the most is that not everything was told to us, not all the back story since ROTJ and there are a lot of open questions.   It's frustrating to not know everything, but too many movies do that.  The original Star Wars had plenty of "what the heck is going on" moments and left a lot of room for more development or explanation.  Force Awakens has more, but this trilogy is being more thought out before-hand than the original.   I expect VIII to have more backstory and revelations.

Finally, the big, big, big deal.   Han Solo, still my hero.   The second he stormed into the Falcon, he was Han Solo all over again.   Not playing his 30 year younger self, but what Han Solo would be after the original trilogy.   I'm glad he is older, wiser and didn't become someone else in the intervening years.   Separated from Leia he's gone back to smuggling and still having issues doing it.  He seemed less cocky, but more of a "same old, same old" attitude about life.   He's been around the bend a lot in 30 years, but he's still the same person.   And he became a mentor to Rey and Finn.

I knew going in that there was a chance he would be killed.   I still don't know what to make of his death.   Unfortunately it happened with some of the action still going on, so unlike "No Luke, I am your father" as the final big thing in the film, you have little time to process it.   I knew he was dead when he called out to Ben and it was very tense for me. 

I can't decide if his death was forced or naturally would happen.   I think that he's always been shown as a cynic with a heart of gold, so him going for Ben to bring him back after giving up on him is much like coming back to help Luke at the Death Star.   And he certainly didn't have to volunteer to take out the shield generator.   So I don't think he went out as a punk.   But I sat there, white knuckled, hoping that I was wrong that he was going to get lightsaber-ed.   I've heard a couple people say that him falling was disrespectful, like he just fell out of the picture.   But I think it showed finality.  His last words/gestures were to touch his son, and I personally think to forgive him.

But, to me, it's very sad.   I hate to see him go.  I'm glad we had one more outing with his wit, charm and he still had a lot of great action scenes.   

Next movie is probably going to be a lot about Luke.   I can't wait.   The countdown to Episode VIII started the seconds scrolled on Episode VII...

—Adam

• Administrator

Guys, if you post all that, you don't have to post your content in a spoiler tag. I don't think so anyway.

Rey is almost surely Luke's daughter. I don't care about the canon or the EU or any of that so I have no clue who the mother is or could be, but all signs point to the Rey being Luke's daughter. I half expected her to say "father" when she handed back his light saber.

The bridge scene where Han is killed by Ren is so predictable.

For awhile, I was trying to figure out how Anakin/Darth was Han Solo's dad. Then, duh, I remembered he was Leia's dad, and so Ren's grandfather. Derp. And so Luke is his uncle.

I thought the movie was a solid 8/10.

I liked all the touches back to the old stuff. Enough nostalgia stuff to keep it very funny in parts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

BTW, is "Ren" the "Dark Side" version of "Ben" or something? Is Kylo like a prefix?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS

The bridge scene where Han is killed by Ren is so predictable.

I think it was telegraphed by Leia begging Han to try and save him.   And certainly Han appearing to him and calling out to him signaled the same thing to me.  But while it was going on I thought we might see something different.  If they wanted to go against the grain they could have had Ben not be able to do it, thereby putting a wedge between him and Snoope.  Which echoes the Emporer and Vader in a different way.   Or Han could have realized he couldn't save him and kill him, or try to and get away.   Although that's maybe too dark.   But yeah, once he got on that bridge it was probably over.  Kyle had to do it to continue down the dark side, like Anakin killing children. 

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

BTW, is "Ren" the "Dark Side" version of "Ben" or something? Is Kylo like a prefix?

Ren comes from Knight of Ren which is an order or presumably people who have some affinity for the dark side.  Kylo might be a title there.   The Knight of Ren are probably part of what Rey saw in her flashback.   Kylo may be a title or it may just be an adopted name because Ben wanted a break from his family.  

—Adam

My emotions were kind of mixed after watching TFA.  I thought they did a very good job with Solo's character and during the scene where he said he was going to talk his way out of it like he always has I felt like I was teleported back to my childhood seeing Ford play his iconic character for the first time.  I started getting bummed out the second he walked out toward the bridge because I new he was done for. But I'm very glad he went out being well portrayed and not the least bit played out.   His parts were definitely the high point of the movie for me.  

Unlike others I absolutely hated the character and the casting of Kylo Ren.  Given that he was trained by both Luke and this strange cartoony new sith lord I would have expected him to be atleast somewhat formidable but to me he came off as Bratish and incompetent and I have a hard time seeing how their going him believably morph into something that can rival Rey in future movies.   Let's face it this girl literally just learned about the force yesterday and he really doesn't have anything for her.  In their second encounter she sends him crying to his master and in their third she gives him a good spanking.  During his second tantrum I actually thought "if they're trying to spoof their own movie they should have cast Rick Moranis."  

I thought Rey's character was well played her rapid progression through force powers was a little it over the top but forgivable.  In the next movie it could be played off as Luke having a connection to her and guiding her subconsciously the whole time.  Since he's the only Jedi I suppose he would be very powerful to balance things out.  Her character still has a lot of question marks around it and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.  Every time they asked her why she would want to go back to Jakku I expected her to say she was waiting for her brother to return... I still think a separated sibling plot is a possibility and could lead to a why did you leave me moment with Lea but that may be To much of a copy  on the original story line. 

I also enjoyed Fin's character  and thought Boyega did good job. I could have done without some of the giddy school kid scenes with Poe and Rey but I liked that he still has no idea who he is but is highly motivated to protect Rey and do the right thing.  

I haven't heard many talking about Maz Kanata but I thought her parts added to the movie as well.

Over all this Starwars had a very different feel for me and I'm kind of undecided on it but I'm still excited to see what Abrams does with the next two.

• Administrator

5 hours ago, LagShaft said:

I thought Rey's character was well played her rapid progression through force powers was a little it over the top but forgivable.  In the next movie it could be played off as Luke having a connection to her and guiding her subconsciously the whole time.

I think she's Luke's daughter.

Maybe Kylo Ren/Ben and her played together as children for awhile, and that's why he knew about her. They'd be cousins, after all.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I think she's Luke's daughter.

Maybe Kylo Ren/Ben and her played together as children for awhile, and that's why he knew about her. They'd be cousins, after all.

Maybe he wanted a child of his own so he hired a surrogate. Lol

Did anyone else notice the blue bolt that resembled a light saber flying into the statue at the close of the first battle after Ren was looking at Fin?  I couldn't tell what it was maybe just a lense flare.

Note: This thread is 2679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!