IGNORED

My Swing (Alx)

Alx

Been testing a few things with the release. Less hold and more just letting the club. Makes the followthrough feel much smoother.

Is my head starting to drift around too much?

Annoying day at the range. I was a bit thin on my irons to start and eventually just lazy and not committing to the shots. I blame the new shoes they were a good 2cm higher than the old ones:-D(Semi-srs actually).

Need to keep the practice simple, short and specific. I think I've read that somewhere b4...

I hit some drivers today. I did not game the driver last season. I hit my 3w on the very wide holes but usually settled for a 2/5 iron off the tee. This season I think my swing is solid enough to start using the driver more without having to worry about killing someone.

Actually setting the club at the ball makes me hit down on it setting up way behind gets aa positive and strike lower on the face.

(edited)

End of the week and Im starting to feel the strain and getting a bit sore. Not really golf related but the gym work usual starts catching up at this point in the week.

Focused on wedges and short irons today at the range. I was hitting everything well but felt really tired. I was really pleased with how I was able to keep the swing together so very well.

YesGG.thumb.png.44d28e24976a0a68c975a26dd181fa3d.png

Last round game golf analysis is pretty spot on. The full swing works well but everything else... well I guess practice or a lack of shows.

A few chips. Getting very good results and contact even after only a few sessions of practice. The dtl really shows the club moving really nicely but Im not sure if the shaft lean is going to be an issue. Opening the face makes the contact more forgiving so I might just stick with this.

Edited by Alx

On 12/21/2015 at 1:52 AM, mvmac said:

I'd focus on getting the backswing pivot centered, especially with the hips. Hips swaying back is leading the head to move and makes it more likely for your path to be across the ball.

56779f817518f_ax1.thumb.jpg.9d06d0271eef56779f8222876_dk2.thumb.jpg.cb5684d83614

Very Good advice !

Hi @Alx

Your swing is quite excellent despite the significant hip restriction.   I'm not sure you can do any better.  You seem to make excellent adjustments but unless you fix the hips I can't see things getting that much better. 

That being said, there are certain other things that stand out.  Super strong left hand ... quite weak right hand.  Too much spinal tilt / hands too forward at address ?  Hard to assess with the poor camera angle and no DTL footage. 

Sorry. Work time.  I'll come back later.  :) 

@SunkTheBirdie I can give you reasons for most of the things you're seeing in the swing. I would arque I make very few adjustments in my swing it's a very simple and compact motion.

Do you think the grip is an issue? Why is the tilt too much? The hands arent any more forward than what they are at impact why is it a problem?

Camera angles are admittedly a bit lackluster but it's the best I can do by myself. I'll try to get some better footage next time I have someone with me.

In the meantime I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on these things. I can expand on some of my ideas on why I do certain things but first I'd like to hear what you think my problems are based on what you're seeing.

So shot shape? My miss? Height? Tendencies etc. the usual stuff people see from a swing.

Interested to hear your thoughts :-)

1 hour ago, Alx said:

@SunkTheBirdie it's a very simple and compact motion.

It is simple.  All arms and hands. 

TST_Alx_FO.Driver.restricted_hips.thumb.jpg.b1bac4fba9b3ad289371ca58a8a75559.jpg

Q: Do you think the grip is an issue?

I'm sure it's possible to play with a left hand grip that strong.   I just am mentioning it as it stands out.  

By not using your lower body you give away alot of power.

Google: golf bag smartphone mount.

s-l300.jpg

Upload DTL footage ... for a proper analysis. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

All arms and hands. 

Not even :-D

41 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

<pictures>

?

45 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

By not using your lower body you give away alot of power.

So whats my ss at based on visual?:-)

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Past few weeks have mainly been target practice and distance work with wedges. Had to take a bit of a weather break aswell meh... Making improvements for sure. 

For the full swing I have made some minor tweaks. Going even stronger with the grip just feels better.

The "thought" I have is to just pick the club up and drop it and everything falls into place automatically face squared and path to target.

The consistency and contact are very good... but it doesnt look what Ive been told to do.

I finally got my 3 and 4 irons. Absolutely love them.

Dtl footage got corrupted so even this is still a bit jerky....

Edited by Alx
Added dtl footage thats less corrupted...

Hitting the ball very well recently. Small tweaks on the full swing have definately worked well. 

• Upvote 1

Was feeling very fatigued today. Back was especially tired and I had a very hard time hitting anything past a 7 iron. Was so badly off sync. I dont even remember when Ive hit shots that fat the last time...

I try to avoid hitting the longer clubs when I feel this way cause I always seem to ingrain some bad habits and compensations cause Im too tired to stay in the right positions. I sometimes get some of these "symptoms" on the course but theyre manageable today was very extreme.

Wedge shots I can control even when Im tired so I ended up hitting a lot of  52,56 and pw shots. Im hitting my wedges so well right now that I should really start going for a lot more flags instead of always playing for that 1/100 mishit. Old habits are just so hard to break.

I was also finally able to get some of my random shanks on tape. Its very rare out on the course but on the range its a bit too common. From video it seems to be a combination of a weaker grip, setting too close and a very narrow stance. So basically just not paying attention. Sort of makes sense why it primarily happens on the range.

Idk how the angles are this bad (again...) but this was mainly for checking some specific things I wanted to see so meh.

Seem to have recovered from the fatigue slump. Was striking the ball perfect today at the range.

Ive been tweaking the grip a bit(again...) this week. I had been going stronger and stronger to the point where I was starting to draw shots and even hook my misses. I definitely want to keep hitting a fade rather than a draw.

A mishit draw/hook is just way too long and would always end up too deep in trouble. A fade will stop better and wont fly as far if I mishit it horribly.

Another problem was that I wasnt really able to use my body as much. I felt that the face was always going to point way left if I really hit one. There wasnt that much difference on video but the feel was very different.

So I took the grip back a notch to a little weaker. Felt so wierd at first but it didint take more than a day to get used to. Was really happy with how I was striking the ball and how Im really able to drive hard into the ball without worrying about hitting it left.

On a side note. Ive used a lot of odd angles to get to where I am with the swing. I think dtl and fo are terrible at showing what actually goes on in the swing. The 2d distortion is just too much. Dont get me wrong for analysis they are good but for someone to actually understand and see whats going on not so much.

Striking the ball really well again. 

Been doing a lot of mirror/shadow work to get a better feel for the backswing. Not really changing anything but just trying to figure out how the club is moving when Im doing things right and hitting the ball well. I sometimes try to force the club to A4 without allowing it to rotate and get "behind" me and thats generally when I mishit it.

Driver has gotten a bit too fadey or even push fadey. Im making good contact in the center but the face is just not pointing where it should. The swing feels a lot better and its very consistent but just a bit too much to the right. Ive tried altering grip, reving, stance but nothings really consistent and I just start to mishit shots.

What I eventually did was adjust the driver(duh...) to get the toe up. The rest of my set is 2deg up and I tend to grip down on the driver so it makes sense it should probably be atleast as much upright. The most the hosel can go is 1.5deg so thatll do for now. I had 1 practice session with the change and it really seemed to make a difference. Strike was good and the shape was much better. Well see how it goes.

Swing has come along nicely in the last month. Were just starting to get to summer temperatures finally and its ridicilous how much easier it is to hit the ball well in warm temps. 

But there are some kinks I have to iron out.

-Last few rounds Ive had a few hooks with the mid/long irons. It feels as my right elbow gets behind me and from there I just cant get to the ball properly. Ive a few bad swings like this on video and the backswing does look longer so it pretty much confirms the feel. Id say this is mostly about proper setup and concentrating on what Im trying to do. Something to keep an eye on definitely.

-Irons occasionally feel a bit hot and even inconsistent off the face. Ill probably try some blades on the next demo day to see if theres a difference.

-Im hitting my wedges and short irons very accurately on the range but I cant really take it to the course. Biggest problem I have is alingment. I just dont have anything to aim at or aling by on the course. Definitely a skill I have to work on.

-Hitting off course lies. Contact is not a problem. I can hit my long irons off tight lies. The problem I have is just knowing where the ball will go when I have to hit it from an uneven lie with the toe up/down or just a plain up/down hill. Again its a skill that I just havent had the chance or swing(up until now) to work on.

Had an unfortunate injury. An errant iron shot hit me on the left backhand/thumb. No permanent damage. I got lucky... Worst iron shot Ive ever seen. Did not know you could hit it that far left...

Been working a lot on the short game and putting. Definitely seeing improvement.

Wedges are still terrible. Anything inside 100 and im lost and regurlarly hit it 15 past or short... Atleast Im striking it well.

Wedge distance control is coming together somewhat. Spending a lot of time working around the greens in the 10-40m radius. Contact is very good. Hitting a lot of shots from varying lies.

Driver has been really solid aswell. Mainly working on strike right now. Not really trying to change anything. Hit around 25 drives today. Hit it very well all drives landed on the 40m wide target fw, even the really bad misses. Really concentrating on every shot hitting at a very slow pace taking my time between shots till I "forget" the last one.

Should be able to get down to single digit hc next time I play. Well see.

I was checking some things from the front - right view. Really like the way everything looks very stable.

• 2 weeks later...

Was on vacation for a few days and back at it again. 

Grip has been drifting a bit too weak and Ive started bleeding shots to the right a bit. Not really a problem with anything but the driver.

Quick fix. This was dead straight.

Hitting my irons very well. Havent done anything other than target practice with them.

More work with the driver. I try to avoid complex feels and thoughts but I sometimes get a bit lazy with my rotation and need to work with some feels to get back to it. Weve finally had a few weeks of actual summer temps and its really doing wonder. 

Heres finally some better angles at a proper distance.