IGNORED

My Swing (Alx)

Alx

I've been Playing Golf for: 3-4 months
My current handicap index or average score is: Last 4 rounds Ive averaged 39 on 9 hole par 30 course. 
My typical ball flight is: Straight/slight fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Occasional massive slice (cause I set the ball too close and hit it sloppy according to a pro). 

Videos: 

Any thoughts?

I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday so heres a few more videos with an 8 iron. The shots are different but the slow mo is the same footage just slowed down. All the shots were the same shape, straight or a few meters of fade. I was hitting range balls and the shots carried around 160 meters I cant say for sure as the range isn't level.

Sorry for the poor focus on on the FO vid for some reason my camera wasnt cooperating.

Thanks.

I'd focus on getting the backswing pivot centered, especially with the hips. Hips swaying back is leading the head to move and makes it more likely for your path to be across the ball.

56779f817518f_ax1.thumb.jpg.9d06d0271eef56779f8222876_dk2.thumb.jpg.cb5684d83614

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, mvmac said:

Advice

Wow I had not even noticed I slide so far right.

Read the 2 links you posted and headed to the range and hit some shots. I think I got the hang of it somewhat. Idk what was up with the camera on the first shot so the focus is way off, sorry. The first shot is with a longer backswing the other 3 with a shorter backswing. On the shorter backswings I was inching my hips forward(towards target) ever so slightly on every swing to get a feel for different positions.

All the shots were straight/slight fades so no difference there but the contact did feel more solid and the swing was easier. Kinda hard to put my finger on it but felt pretty good.

Does it look any better? Any thoughts on the backswing length?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Alx said:

Does it look any better? Any thoughts on the backswing length?

Yep better for sure, hips are swaying back less. Make sure to make some slow practice rehearsal moves to really ingrain the feel. Also recommend you turn the front foot out more and "bump" the hips a little forward at address.

Make sure to check this out.

Mike McLoughlin

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

Yep better for sure, hips are swaying back less. Make sure to make some slow practice rehearsal moves to really ingrain the feel. Also recommend you turn the front foot out more and "bump" the hips a little forward at address.

Make sure to check this out.

Good read I definitely need to keep the slow and short/success parts mind. Too often I try to force things in practice up to the point of extreme frustration and desperation. It does keep me driven on things (in general) but on the long run it does get very tiring.

Had a second hitting session yesterday this time indoors and about 20 degrees warmer and what a massive difference to swinging in freezing temps. Everything was smoother and I was getting very good speed with minimal effort. I was lucky enough to swing infront of a mirror so I could really get the feel and visual confirmation of those slow swings that I was doing the right things. These swings are a bit on the relaxed side but even better(imo).

I'll try turning the foot out and a more 'agressive' hip bump on my next session didin't want to confuse myself by concentrating on too many new things at once.

Had an opportunity to video some full swings today. Been working on that centered hip turn and I think the hips look pretty solid right now.

I've also tried to calm down the hips if you will. I don't like letting the lead knee buckle in as much and as a result my backswing is a bit shorter but feels more controlled. I tried hitting a few shots of a tee where I absolutely ripped it and if anything I think the stable base allows me to swing even faster. The shots on video are pretty relaxed pace as....

I really dislike hitting off mats. I realize it might just be a technique thing but anything past an 8 iron is just a pain and even then I still prefer hitting more laidback shots just to be safe. The shock of the clubhead hitting the mat is just too much for my wrists and elbow to handle. Off a tee though it's a whole other story. Even teeing it up just barely off the mat gives me the confidence to go for it and I generate solid contact very consistently. 

E. Looking at the video my feet are pointed very much forwards thats something I havent spent alot of time trying to change. I did try a more feet out position but it puts a twist on my knee and doesn't really feel good. Is it worth forcing?

How does the swing look? Are there many huge things I should adress? At what point should you start focusing on results? 

Thanks!

Been working on the backswing. Ive been trying to keep it a bit shorter especially on the longer clubs and still have good rhythm. Obviously it's not something you can really see on the camera but the swing feels really fluid right now so I think everythings come along nicely. 

I think the hip turn is pretty nicely grooved in.

Here's a few 3 wood swings.

How are going about making the changes? Are you just hitting ball after ball in rapid fire mode or doing what I shared here with the Five "S"s thread?

I'm asking because you just post full speed swings so it gives me the idea this is how you "practice".

Mike McLoughlin

On 1/6/2016 at 6:50 PM, mvmac said:

How are going about making the changes? Are you just hitting ball after ball in rapid fire mode or doing what I shared here with the Five "S"s thread?

I'm asking because you just post full speed swings so it gives me the idea this is how you "practice".

I start off slow to see what I have to change and work from there. Begin with small and slow things and work towards getting those changes carried to the swing and eventually see what kind of contact I manage to generate with those changes. If I don't see the changes I was going for I'll go back to the start and do it all over. This isn't a 5 minute progression obviously and depends on what Im trying to do. My pace at the range is very slow so Im definately not rapid firing balls. The five S's is a good concise description of the way Im practicing at the moment.

Well I only post full swings because for me it's easy to make the changes but knowing what to change isn't as obvious with my very limited golfing experience. Also I don't think there's much value in seeing me stand infront of a mirror and my camera takes alot of fiddling to get the damn thing to focus.

I may be reading too much into your post but it sounds as though Im missing an obvious glaring flaw in the swing?

7 hours ago, Alx said:

I may be reading too much into your post but it sounds as though Im missing an obvious glaring flaw in the swing?

No, I just think it would beneficial to get an idea of how you're going about making the changes.

For example:

Mike McLoughlin

11 hours ago, mvmac said:

No, I just think it would beneficial to get an idea of how you're going about making the changes.

For example:

Fair enough. Well my practice areas all have mirrors so I can always check the position when Im practicing. Also I've got a very good feel for what's going on so I have a good idea of what's going on even in a full swing.

What I did with the hips was practice just the backswing because I thought the downswing would come quite natural if I just got the backswing sequence and top club position in order and it pretty much did. Im always concentrating on just 1 thing at a time till I've managed to groove it in.

• 2 months later...

I've had a bit of a hiatus from active practice because of some nagging forearm/elbow injuries I've ignored for way too long. I've had 1 practice session a week for a little over a month and I've alse laid off most gym work.

It looks I managed to get the injuries sorted just in the nick of time as the golf season has just started a few days ago. I've got 3 rounds in of the par 30 9 hole course at 41,43 and 43 strokes. As you could expect my putting is godawful after putting once in the last 5 months and the chips/pitching is really not any better.

The swing has improved alot though. It's not fully reflected in the scores yet but it'll get there. On 100-125 meter par 3s Im actually -1.01 vs scratch according to game golf.

Here's what Im working with it's still a bit cold out there so looking and feeling a bit stiff and sluggish:

Thoughts?

Wow, nice swing!

Especially for someone who's been playing only a year or so! Many will be jealous. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I agree with @Lihu. A lot of nice stuff going on. One thing I notice is that your hips aren't turning much in the backswing. I would recommend checking out this video that should help you with that:

Also, I'd recommend filming horizontally in the future. And, if you have a way to get something with more frames in it, that would be helpful. You swing fast, which is a good thing, but it also makes it hard to see much in real time.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

26 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I agree with @Lihu. A lot of nice stuff going on. One thing I notice is that your hips aren't turning much in the backswing. I would recommend checking out this video that should help you with that:

Also, I'd recommend filming horizontally in the future. And, if you have a way to get something with more frames in it, that would be helpful. You swing fast, which is a good thing, but it also makes it hard to see much in real time.

Agree, rotating the hips more on the back swing will help you shift your weight as well.

New Bitmap Image.png

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks for the kind words and comments. 

Watched the video you guys posted multiple times. I can see the hip turn being on the low end but I dont think I can move the weight forwards any sooner or Ill fall over. If that's what you meant?

Comparing to a few pro swings I don't see my trail leg or weight shift lagging behind much if at all? Am I just dead wrong?

Im heading to the range tomorrow so I'll see what I can do and report back. Im doubtful on the more power thing but well see. I'll get some better angles and try my friends phones to see if they have better framerates.