Jump to content
IGNORED

Palm Springs in January


DaveP043
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

We played the other course (I think its the Valley) at Desert Springs last year, this year we played the Palms.  I liked both.  They're more forgiving than many, since there's very little "desert", but they both have some nice terrain.  The Palm was in pretty nice shape, rolling greens, water hazards on a reasonable number of holes, comfortably fast greens.  I thought the price was reasonable considering we must be in the high season, around $90. 

Many people seem to like those courses, but for whatever reason both courses there are among my least favorite in the valley.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
10 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Thanks also to @Golfingdad, @tristanhilton85, and @mvmac for coming out to join my friends and I for a round or two.

Thank you for the invite! Glad to hear you made it back home safely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've posted my pocket course reviews this morning.  

 

I made it a separate thread, since other folks visit that area and may want to add their experiences as time goes on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just back from 6 days there: played desert princess twice (we stayed with friends on the property), escena, Tacquitz and Indian Canyon north. They booked everything so we just had to show up, pay and play. 

For two hackers, the wife and I really enjoyed Indian Canyon north-not to difficult, great scenery, awesome property, bit of history. Desert Princess a close second-the property is well maintained. Escena was in great shape but blah property. Tacquitz was an overpriced average public course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 5 months later...

I'm going to resurrect this old thread.  For some unknown reason, our friends have invited us to visit them in Palm Springs again in January, from 1/14 to 1/22.  At this stage I have no idea when or where we'll be playing, but if we have openings like we did this past year, I'll post here and see if any of y'all would care to join us.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm going to resurrect this old thread.  For some unknown reason, our friends have invited us to visit them in Palm Springs again in January, from 1/14 to 1/22.  At this stage I have no idea when or where we'll be playing, but if we have openings like we did this past year, I'll post here and see if any of y'all would care to join us.  

I had a blast last time, @DaveP043.  If it works out that you guys have openings and an invitation is extended, I'll figure out a way to get myself out there again. :beer:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm going to resurrect this old thread.  For some unknown reason, our friends have invited us to visit them in Palm Springs again in January, from 1/14 to 1/22.  At this stage I have no idea when or where we'll be playing, but if we have openings like we did this past year, I'll post here and see if any of y'all would care to join us.  

 

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

I had a blast last time, @DaveP043.  If it works out that you guys have openings and an invitation is extended, I'll figure out a way to get myself out there again. :beer:

Maybe we could make a TST So. Calif. outing out of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Maybe we could make a TST So. Calif. outing out of it.

That won't work for me, I'll be there with my wife and three other couples.  I think we'll have 5 or 6 (or maybe more) golfers every day.  Last year a few of the TST guys ( @Golfingdad, @tristanhilton85, and @mvmac) snuck away from work and played one or two rounds with us.  It was a real treat for me to see Drew and Mike again, after having played against their team at the Newport Cup, and to meet Tristan for the first time.  

I have a feeling that we'll be in the same boat this coming January, we'll have two times booked, but no more than 6 or 7 players.  If there are openings, I may be able to invite one or two of y'all to join us.  Now if you SoCal guys happened to organize an outing for the same time frame, I might try to drop by and visit.  Anyway, I'll keep in touch through this thread.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 4 weeks later...

I go to the valley every year. I stay in Palm Desert, about 20 minutes east of Palm Springs. Once a year I play Silver Rock and Cimaron, The other 5 days I play different courses, last year I played La Quinta Mountain Course and a few local courses. Early Dec to mid Jan are the best times to go there. Great daytime weather and sweater weather at night. Almost every course is in GREAT Shape and the prices are still OK. They sky rocket in Feb.

FYI Where we have our condo (Desert Breezes) a lot of the owners have defaulted over the years so there are always rentals available. Not as nice as 5 Star resorts in the valley but it's clean and comfortable, the money you'd save over the course of a few days will pay for a round at Silver Rock and that's not a bad thing at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 3 months later...

Just received an underpar.com deal for Marriott Shadow Ridge that made me think of @DaveP043 and this thread. https://www.underpar.com/courses/marriotts-shadow-ridge

$89 plus free same day replay.  Has to be purchased this week, though, and can only be used up to 1/20/17.  Main drawback is that it says you can book 7 days in advance, so not exactly giving you a lot of time to plan ahead.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Just received an underpar.com deal for Marriott Shadow Ridge that made me think of @DaveP043 and this thread. https://www.underpar.com/courses/marriotts-shadow-ridge

$89 plus free same day replay.  Has to be purchased this week, though, and can only be used up to 1/20/17.  Main drawback is that it says you can book 7 days in advance, so not exactly giving you a lot of time to plan ahead.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for posting.   I'll be down there with the family at the sister Marriott property, Desert Springs over New Years.   Since there are two course on that property I might just stay there to play rather than drive to Shadow Ridge.  I did notice the rack rate is high this time of year.

Brad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, bmartin461 said:

Thanks for posting.   I'll be down there with the family at the sister Marriott property, Desert Springs over New Years.   Since there are two course on that property I might just stay there to play rather than drive to Shadow Ridge.  I did notice the rack rate is high this time of year.

Brad

I've actually stayed at both places.  We love them both (hotel portion) but I haven't golfed at either.  Desert Springs seems kinda meh to me as far as golf is concerned.  I mean, it looks immaculate, but there is no buzz.  I've never heard anybody say anything great about it.

Shadow Ridge, on the other hand, is @tristanhilton85's (or at least at one time was) very course in the valley and he's a local.  So consider that.

If you really don't want to go far, then I'd consider Desert Willow.  I have played both of those and would recommend either of them (and I think one of them just got a facelift) and the entrance to the property is directly across the street from Desert Springs.  You wouldn't even need to drive on a public street.:beer:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I've actually stayed at both places.  We love them both (hotel portion) but I haven't golfed at either.  Desert Springs seems kinda meh to me as far as golf is concerned.  I mean, it looks immaculate, but there is no buzz.  I've never heard anybody say anything great about it.

Shadow Ridge, on the other hand, is @tristanhilton85's (or at least at one time was) very course in the valley and he's a local.  So consider that.

If you really don't want to go far, then I'd consider Desert Willow.  I have played both of those and would recommend either of them (and I think one of them just got a facelift) and the entrance to the property is directly across the street from Desert Springs.  You wouldn't even need to drive on a public street.:beer:

I've stayed at both Marriott properties as well, in the "timeshare" villas, and they're very nice.  We've also played all three Marriott courses, and I'll agree that Shadow Ridge is the most interesting.  And in my opinion, either of the courses Desert Willow is more interesting than the Marriott courses, even Shadow Ridge.  Shadow Ridge has some pretty severe greens, and that makes it fun, but on the whole I'd prefer Desert Willow.  Not far away is the Classic Club, which Is really good as well, probably my favorite in that group.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/30/2016 at 9:06 AM, DaveP043 said:

I've stayed at both Marriott properties as well, in the "timeshare" villas, and they're very nice.  We've also played all three Marriott courses, and I'll agree that Shadow Ridge is the most interesting.  And in my opinion, either of the courses Desert Willow is more interesting than the Marriott courses, even Shadow Ridge.  Shadow Ridge has some pretty severe greens, and that makes it fun, but on the whole I'd prefer Desert Willow.  Not far away is the Classic Club, which Is really good as well, probably my favorite in that group.

@Golfingdad & @DaveP043 thanks for the input, I think I'll pack the clubs and then look around for any deals at one of the recommended courses in the area.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2016 at 0:55 PM, DaveP043 said:

I'm going to resurrect this old thread.  For some unknown reason, our friends have invited us to visit them in Palm Springs again in January, from 1/14 to 1/22.  At this stage I have no idea when or where we'll be playing, but if we have openings like we did this past year, I'll post here and see if any of y'all would care to join us.  

Just bumping this thread.  My buddy Tom just sent me an email telling me to be sure to invite the TST guys, if anyone wants to fill out our group.  Like I mentioned, we plan to arrive on Saturday, 1/14, and play each day from Sunday to the following Saturday.  We have six players, so if one or two of you guys want to join us, you'll be more than welcome.  Tom is planning to make the tee times between 9 and 10 AM, and I'll post real tee times and courses after he's made those plans.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Just bumping this thread.  My buddy Tom just sent me an email telling me to be sure to invite the TST guys, if anyone wants to fill out our group.  Like I mentioned, we plan to arrive on Saturday, 1/14, and play each day from Sunday to the following Saturday.  We have six players, so if one or two of you guys want to join us, you'll be more than welcome.  Tom is planning to make the tee times between 9 and 10 AM, and I'll post real tee times and courses after he's made those plans.

Great! I can most likely make one or two days of that week work.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 5:12 PM, uitar9 said:

Just back from 6 days there: played desert princess twice (we stayed with friends on the property), escena, Tacquitz and Indian Canyon north. They booked everything so we just had to show up, pay and play. 

For two hackers, the wife and I really enjoyed Indian Canyon north-not to difficult, great scenery, awesome property, bit of history. Desert Princess a close second-the property is well maintained. Escena was in great shape but blah property. Tacquitz was an overpriced average public course.

It looks like we were there about the same time, I played Indian Canyons south course twice...WOW

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
  • Posts

    • I found this video interesting from the standpoint of how they approach just playing the fade from game management. Even if they hit, what you would call a slice, they rather see that happen than have anything go left.  Also, it is interesting that they both bow their wrist at the top, but both play a fade. I'd think that most would say they would draw or hook the ball with the clubface shut at the top.  In terms of what they think about for the shot, it is hitting a start line because they know it is going to curve from right to left. I wonder how many amateurs think about starting the ball on a line. 
    • 7:49am 10th Tee -  Tyrrell Hatton, Bryson DeChambeau, Max Homa. Nice to see the biggest hitter on the USPGA tour, back. Good luck Bryson.  
    • Yes, you can move clubs into the "unassigned" bin, but it won't let you delete a club that has been used, so everything added to the "my bag" stays there. The system used to let you delete a club but would give a disclaimer message saying something like deleting this club will also delete all of the data associated with it. What is annoying about this is that in post-round editing, all of the clubs, assigned or not come up in editor. So if a shot was registered with the wrong club, it's not intuitive to pick from the list which is color coded rather than providing a description. This is rare - it would happen in cases where you put a new club in the bag but didn't update the "my bag" section so shots were registered on the old club. Or possibly a scenario where you took some practice swings with a 8-iron and it registered a shot, but then you actually hit the shot with a 9-iron. For example, below, this is what I see if I wanted to change the driver I used for this tee shot:
    • I'm definitely taking relief from something that only exists in that location to mark off yardage
    • That is the course we staid on when we did our golf trip to Orlando like 8 years ago. I really like that course. Fair, but you really have to figure out how to play it due to the amount of bunkers on the course. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Billy B
      Billy B
      (43 years old)
    2. Golf hack
      Golf hack
      (62 years old)
    3. GrinderUK
      GrinderUK
      (62 years old)
    4. macuis
      macuis
      (39 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...