IGNORED

how long to get to scratch?

donkba
Note: This thread is 5934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Definitely.

These things happen. Scoring seems to come in plateaus. It isn't as though you shoot 92 one day, practice, shoot a 91, practice, shoot a 90, etc.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it that difficult to break 90 in a lifetime? This is my first season and I almost broke 90. I probably would have if I didn't count each stroke towards the end to ensure that I break 100. btw, I am quite happy that I finally broke 100. It was a lot tougher than I thought it'd be.

That is the basic timeline for me. I said I don't remember ever shooting in the 100's when keeping score. As a kid I used to hit balls on the range onece a year on vaction in FLorida. But only really started playing golf at 21 yoa. I bought walmart clubs to see if I would like playing. About two months later out grew them and bought real clubs knowing I was loving golf. That is when I started keeping score and playing with people. The first guy I played with was a 6 HCP, a coworker, and I played with him everyday. So my goal was to beat him, and he kept me honest. Well no that was not a typo, before the first year was done I was beating him and I had an established HCP. However I LIVED FOR GOLF and read, studied, and breathed golf. Probably cost me my first wife (thankyou golf

. Anyways it is possible to be scratch in a few years. But you have to give up ALLOT.

Driver: Taylor Made R7 SuperQuad TP X stiff
3 wood: Taylor Made Vsteel proforce X stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made 19* TP Project X 6.5
4-AW: Taylor Made R7TP Project X 6.5
Wedges: 56,60 Taylor Made TP y cutterPutter: Taylor Made Rosa

However I LIVED FOR GOLF and read, studied, and breathed golf. Probably cost me my first wife (thankyou golf

You got your handicap down to 1 and don't have to deal with a wife? Sounds like a win-win situation.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I am 16 years old started playing golf about 2 1/2 years ago and i got my first handicap in September 2005 which was 24. A year after that i got my handicap down to 12 and since then i have got it as low as 6. If this trend continues i am hoping that i can get down to scratch in about 2 years.

In the bag:

driver Big Ben CS3 9.5º
3-wood 906F4 15.5º
hybrid rescue mid 19ºirons: MP-60 3-PWwedges vokey spin-milled 54º and 60ºputter tracy IIball Pro V1

Im 15 years old and would like to be at scratch by the end of this coming summer

Driver- 9.5 905R
Woods- V-Steel 15*
Hybrid- Rescue Dual 16*
Irons- 3-P Project X 5.5 Wedges- Vokey 54* and 58* Putter- Scotty Ball- Bridgestone B330-S

However I LIVED FOR GOLF and read, studied, and breathed golf. Probably cost me my first wife (thankyou golf

Funny you should say that. I am currently separated from my wife because of that exact thing. She tried to control how often I could play. Well that sure isn't going to happen. Sucks though, I am getting really tired of giving away all my stuff every 10 years. I need to find a woman who understands my golf addiction and can deal with it. Do they exist?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Funny you should say that. I am currently separated from my wife because of that exact thing. She tried to control how often I could play. Well that sure isn't going to happen. Sucks though, I am getting really tired of giving away all my stuff every 10 years. I need to find a woman who understands my golf addiction and can deal with it. Do they exist?

female golfers?

haha

And people wonder why I avoid serious relationships and suggest other guys to do the same.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Wow, golf can cause marriage seperation?

I think there are a select few who have the physical and mental ability to become a scratch golfer. It comes down to having a certain amount of natural talent. some people just dont have it. Alot of people could practice and take lessons untill the cows come home and never become scratch.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Alot of people could practice and take lessons until the cows come home and never become scratch.

I tend to agree. And there's a HUGE difference between being able to shoot a round of par vs. getting to a scratch handicap. I've had a good number of rounds between 71 and 75 and never gotten under a 3 index yet. I agree w/ a previous post, that it takes as long to get from 16 to 8 as it does from 8 to 4 or 4 to 2 or 2 to 1 or 1 to .5, etc... I'd be willing to bet that if you aren't a single digit handicap after a year of regular play, the odds of getting to scratch are pretty slim... but not impossible. It's never too late to learn how to hit solid shots and to think and react constructively on the course. I think anyone can learn to shoot in the 70's... getting to scratch however... not so sure.

www.artfulgolfer.com

if you cant reach single digits in a year? you wont get scratch? that seems silly, i started 8 months ago and shoot in the 80s with a 16 handicap, being 16 years of age...so basically i wont be a scratch...ever?

Driver:10 degree HS9 F speed Stock Regular
FW: 15 degree sasquatch stiff
906F4 18.5 V2 proforce stiff
Hybrid: 21 585H V2 Proforce stiff
Irons: Cobra Fp 4-PW Nippon StiffWedges: CG12 56 degree Wedge Flex Putter: Rossa agsi+ Daytona 1 35"

if you cant reach single digits in a year? you wont get scratch? that seems silly, i started 8 months ago and shoot in the 80s with a 16 handicap, being 16 years of age...so basically i wont be a scratch...ever?

Looks like you still have 4 months to get to 9.9 ;) Anyway, I said our chances are "slim", not impossible... I also added that it's never too late to learn how to hit solid shots and to think and react constructively on the course, so there's still hope - and I wish you all the best. Anyway, every scratch golfer I know (0 to + index) got into the 70's pretty easily and quickly. Interestingly, we haven't had a single reply on this thread from a scratch golfer that actually told us how long it took them to get to a 0 index (only flash indicated was once a scratch golfer). Lots of replies about how long we think it'll take us...

www.artfulgolfer.com

I'd be willing to bet that if you aren't a single digit handicap after a year of regular play, the odds of getting to scratch are pretty slim... but not impossible.

I realize this is a counter-example and not a proof to the contrary, but... Tiger wasn't scratch until he'd played for a half dozen years or so. I realize he's exceptional, but ...

Maybe if you've started after a certain age, if you don't reach some barrier within some time of serious practice/attempts, maybe it is out of reach. I don't believe scratch or better is out of reach for me. But that's my belief, I've no proof to back it up, until I get there ;)

-- Michael | My swing! 

Maybe the now wife-less golf addicts should hook up together, at least then you'd have a spouse that understands your addiction

I have to agree that getting to an under 10 index in your first season takes some exceptional talent. Now that I think of it, I don't doubt that it's possible though. I got down to a 23 playing about 3-4 times a week (range or round), double or triple that practice and I probably would've gotten to 10-15, most likely closer to 15 and I truly do not consider myself gifted in any way that is useful for this game.

There was an article in a local golfing magazine where the guy suggested that you chip 500 balls every day for 100 days. If you still can't chip after that you have then determined that you lack talent

i was just woundering if anyone has any goals, like getting to scratch handicap before a certain age. i here about people who have played all there lives and never improve, yet other people getting to scratch in about 3 years so surely if you put the time and effort in, this can be achieved. i am 26 and have been playing golf for 6 months, and although off 26, i can now shoot low 80s thanks to a swing change. i practice way more than most and my goal for next season is to get down to at least 12, and hopefully get to scratch in about 5 years.

Yes ... There is a Short cut to becoming a scratch player is so short a time . First , find a job which can pay for your being absent or late most of the time . You have to spend at least 4 hours in the practice range and another 2 in the golf course and last 1 hr in the putting green . So a night job may be to your liking . DJ in Clubs get tons of cash per night depending on what type of club you perform for . Second is hiring one of the top 100 golf instructor to polish your swing and all aspects of your game . Third is to play for cash everytime you get to play someone . There is that sense of excitement in getting your act together to beat the next person and move up a notch in going home with your course fee paid for . After you have done all of the above i will get back to you in time for the next suggestion on how to be a scratch golfer .

I tend to agree. And there's a HUGE difference between being able to shoot a round of par vs. getting to a scratch handicap. I've had a good number of rounds between 71 and 75 and never gotten under a 3 index yet. I agree w/ a previous post, that it takes as long to get from 16 to 8 as it does from 8 to 4 or 4 to 2 or 2 to 1 or 1 to .5, etc... I'd be willing to bet that if you aren't a single digit handicap after a year of regular play, the odds of getting to scratch are pretty slim... but not impossible. It's never too late to learn how to hit solid shots and to think and react constructively on the course. I think anyone can learn to shoot in the 70's... getting to scratch however... not so sure.

I dont know if id go as far as to say if you're not single after a year then you'll never be scratch. That may be narrowing it down a little much. Different people have different levels of progression. And alot of different factors come in to play. I began to play around 3 or 4 times a week in my 2nd year. It was around my 2nd year when i started thinking i could be good at this game. And sort of really caught the bug, got some good equip. and started practising my short game (putting/chipping) a few times a week. At the end of that season i was a single. 3 years later.. I dont think i'll ever be scratch unless i can fully rehab my back so im able to play 3 or 4 times a week again and possibly move in to a warmer climate.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Well I got from 21 to 12 in 6 months, and am not not moving down at all. It is quite difficult once you get to single figures.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Note: This thread is 5934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!