IGNORED

Collared shirt? Where did this start?

Dave325
Note: This thread is 2937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The short answer is that someone owns the course and has every right to set the rules for how people must dress and behave to have the privilege of using their facilities,

In the case of municipal courses (or other government/public owned course), around here anyway, the dress codes don't require collars and jeans are OK.  But even on the public owned courses the "management" has the right to control the dress (or lack of in some cases) and you'll just have to vote the city council out if you want it changed. There are a few cases where some golf management company has paid the city to manage the course and as a result has the right to control the dress code.

Not sure why some folks think collars and slacks are better than T-shirts and jeans, but it is their money so they don't have to explain it to me or you.  We can just play elsewhere if we don't like it.  

Butch

I for one am not against the collared shirt.  Even at my home course I have seen a few gentlemen out there in wife beaters.  Sorry, save that for the gym or cooking in a hot kitchen, I think at a minimum people should look presentable.  Whether that is a very nice non collared shirt or a collared polo type golf shirt, it's not too much to ask that you don't show up looking like you just got done baking some meth in a shack in the woods and decided to get a round in while it settles.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe that collared shirts should continue because otherwise there is no limit to what you can do.  First it will be regular round neck t-shirts, then someone will do a sleeveless tee and then somebody will do a beach type muscle tee.  I for one am not interested in seeing somebody playing like that.  I know the whole argument of comfort, but it also matters to me how people look when they are on the course and I am playing with or near them

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

10 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I believe that collared shirts should continue because otherwise there is no limit to what you can do.  First it will be regular round neck t-shirts, then someone will do a sleeveless tee and then somebody will do a beach type muscle tee.  I for one am not interested in seeing somebody playing like that.  I know the whole argument of comfort, but it also matters to me how people look when they are on the course and I am playing with or near them

really?  arent there so many other things to worry about? like your swing?

Colin P.

41 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Should it matter more what you want someone to wear, or what that someone wants to wear?

Just asking the question.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I once wore a hockey sweater onto a Country Club course.  I promptly got kicked off for a dress code violation.  I guess they didn't agree with me on the definition of a sweater.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

When I was in grad school, I was playing the university course once.  It's essentially a muni.  It was in the summer time, and in the south it gets hot and humid.  

So the guy ahead of us just took his shirt off.  Dude!  It was not a pretty sight.  Pale, lumpy flesh.  We told the marshall, and he went up and told him that he couldn't do that, and he put his shirt back on.  Come to think of it, he might have been wearing jorts too.

Other than that, I don't really care what folks wear, but I do wear a collared shirt and bermuda shorts generally.  In the colder months, though I could be wearing jeans and a T shirt, but that would be under a sweater and/or jacket.

Edited by davechen

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

On 12/31/2015 at 6:14 AM, boogielicious said:

I wouldn't play golf work here/there/anywhere if I had to wear a tie. :-P

FIFY. :-)

Unfortunately, human beings (men specifically) need someone to dress us or at least give us some guidance.Thanks ladies. Think Lady Gaga or Dennis Rodman?!?!?!?

So right wrong or indifferent, just like the workplace, there has to be something set as the floor. Collared shirt seems to be the floor in most places.  I will bet most would prefer I show up in collared shirt and normal shorts rather than my Harley-Davidson (other passion) shirt, cut off jeans, and a "Who Farted" hat.

I have a nice collection of Star Wars t-shirts that I wish I could play golf in.  When I was a caddy there was someone who played in jeans a lot.   They changed the rule and he found something else to wear that people didn't like.   I'd love to win my club championship with my "That's not how the Force works" t-shirt but my club is not quite there yet.  

—Adam

23 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I agree, but it is too late.  Once they started letting guys play who were not wearing plus-fours, a necktie and a jacket the whole game went to hell.  I remember when Walter Hagen said, "First it will be detachable collars, then long pants, then no jacket, and before you know it guys will be playing in short sleeve shirts with shorts on and I, for one am not interested in seeing somebody play like that."

I really do not understand how people can think that their little spot in the universe and their little spot in time creates universally mandatory values.

• Upvote 2

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Some places have a dress code but many Muni courses don't. 

I suspect Muni courses are trying to increase revenue by allowing pretty much anyone to play. Bottom line is the money talks. As long as upscale places are not desperate for $ they will continue to have a dress code. 

For most people, wearing a collared shirt makes it seem a little better than a tee shirt. Although I've seen some collared shirts that were worse than tee shirts. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I don't mind having a dress code on a course at all.  Living in Mississippi playing in anything other than the modern golf polo type shirts would be terrible.  I've gone to the muni range a few times in a t-shirt and it is just terrible wearing a cotton shirt soaking wet in sweat.  As far as wearing jeans I have no problem with it but I wouldn't wear them because they are hot as hell.  The good thing about our  summers is the course is empty in the heat of the day.  The bad is you will damn near have a heat stroke trying to play.

It appears dress codes have relaxed due to society norms. We are now a more dress relaxed society.

Give it another 20 years, who knows what "dress" will be.

and big business must play a part-rules do not necessarily translate to profit-and courses have to at least break even to stay open-they are going to help relax dress if it means more golfers and more march sales

I like colen007's thought about my swing.

It's not an issue for me so much.  The collared golf shirts I have (mostly IZOD golf shirts) are actually more comfy for me for golf on a regular warm day than most any other top I own. Smooth freedom of movement and they keep me about as dry and cool as I can get.  In cold weather, it's a big combination of layers in such a way that doesn't restrict movement.

That's for me only.  I consider it none of my business what others wear and if that affected my game, IMO, then I'd be a pretty shallow person.

I wear the most game-friendly clothes I have available.  The limit to that is I'll always respect the dress code of any course I'm on (it's their property).

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

7 minutes ago, colin007 said:

unacceptable -

acceptable -

Oooh. I want all of those shirts. Technically I think they are all collared shirts. Tiger's shirt may be referred to as a banded collar shirt.  It's weird looking though, makes him look like Cecil Turtle.

I have a hideously bright Caribbean shirt I picked up in St. Martin to go with my orange Nike swim trunks. It is orange with yellow red and other colors on it. I should wear it on course one day  

Edited by Gator Hazard

20 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

Oooh. I want all of those shirts. Technically I think they are all collared shirts. Tiger's shirt may be referred to as a banded collar shirt.  It's weird looking though, makes him look like Cecil Turtle.

I have a hideously bright Caribbean shirt I picked up in St. Martin to go with my orange Nike swim trunks. It is orange with yellow red and other colors on it. I should wear it on course one day  

you do realize your sandtrap membership will be revoked....

Colin P.

46 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

25 minutes ago, colin007 said:

you do realize your sandtrap membership will be revoked....

But he will be adored on St Thomas! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!