IGNORED

PXG signs Zach Johnson, Billy Horschel and other pros

saevel25
Note:Β This thread is 3022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1 minute ago, natureboy said:

Ball speed retention would helpΒ distance consistency on off-center impacts, right?

Not if you slice it 15 yards :)Β 

I've played MB irons and I've played GI irons. I can hit them equally off line. I do agree on slightly toe or Β heel hits the GI irons go farther, but that doesn't mean you end up in a better place.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Well that applies to regularly designed irons then too, right?Β More perimeter weighting seems to be an acceptable tradeoff for a lot of golfers. What is the 'increased forgiveness' of those designs giving golfers if not more reliable shot patternsΒ on mishits? Is it all just lateral dispersion improvement?

Read the link @Phil McGlenoΒ posted. As far as I know, yes, CB irons tend to maintain more ball speed across the face, but near to the center of the face, it's more variable than a muscle back.

Having asked a few club designers, they've told me that you can't create a high CoR iron that PGA Tour pros would play (i.e. the size and shape of the iron head) without producing a relatively high fall-off and thus variability in the CoR near the center of the face.

I understand distance precision is the goal with an iron, but if all your strikes across the face got a 'boost' relative to a different design, wouldn't you just be hitting the ball higher and farther with about the same variance in flight? Perhaps just an advantage for a higher HCP player with a slower swing speed.

I don't think the "boost" is consistent when you get too a huge CoR. Plus, there's the issue of gapping: PGA Tour pros don't need to hit their irons farther.

Consider a club with a really LOW CoR. You'd hit it nowhere, but mishits wouldn't be anywhere near as punished. So, it seems likely the opposite is true, and for smaller and smaller mis-hits.

Why do pros de-loft their irons at all then if hitting irons farther isn't an advantage? Maybe there's an advantage being able to hit a shorter (more controllable?)Β clubΒ farther - so that you get tighter dispersion from more centered impacts?

Because that's how you hit the ball best: to not de-loft the club would change the entire dynamics of the golf swing, and likely move low point to right where the ball is, which would lead to large changes in distance control. It'd be a horrible way to hit the golf ball.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/golf+equipment/5-2032-Blades_Versus_Cavity_Backs_A_Golf_Club_Epiphany.html

Cavity back irons do not hit the ball more consistent distances-musclebacks do.

It is beyond me why that is true because I do believe that ball speed is maintained more on cavity backs on off-center hits.-Perhaps at the higher levels small mishits lead to greater variance and big mis-hits lead to less variance.

That's a good link. I've come across that article before, but good reminder. If you are precise enough with your impacts seemsΒ blades are the way to go.

Β 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Having asked a few club designers, they've told me that you can't create a high CoR iron that PGA Tour pros would play (i.e. the size and shape of the iron head) without producing a relatively high fall-off and thus variability in the CoR near the center of the face.

Interesting. Do you think the OPΒ club's construction (thin face with softer insert behind) is intended to be higher COR than typical irons (though not as high as woods, hybrids, or driver)? That's what I inferred from the diagrams, but it could have an entirely different purpose given the issues you describe.

I don't think the "boost" is consistent when you get too a huge CoR. Plus, there's the issue of gapping: PGA Tour pros don't need to hit their irons farther.

Rory sure doesn't. Someone shorter, might think that's a gap to try to close to improve relative scoring?

Consider a club with a really LOW CoR. You'd hit it nowhere, but mishits wouldn't be anywhere near as punished. So, it seems likely the opposite is true, and for smaller and smaller mis-hits.

Possibly. Seems reasonable. But given how important distance is to scoring the actual tradeoff of extra degrees offline vs. distance retainedΒ is important IMO. The increase in lateral deviationΒ might not be as large (or at least as costly in SG) vs. retention of distance on mis-hits as you intuit.

Because that's how you hit the ball best: to not de-loft the club would change the entire dynamics of the golf swing, and likely move low point to right where the ball is, which would lead to large changes in distance control. It'd be a horrible way to hit the golf ball.

I get that it helps dynamics. Not convinced that's the sole reason. I definitely agree it's done because it's proven toΒ work for a lot of things. But it appears to me thatΒ there's a lot moreΒ de-loftingΒ than I'dΒ expect to simply move the low point a bitΒ in front of the ball? Plus they counter the forward lean / low point with a 'shallow' divot.Β Why bother to add that part to narrow the spin loft? Why not just hit down and take a big divot?

If narrow spin loft alone and not just narrow spin loft per given club length was optimal, wouldn't the pros be just slightly de-lofting clubs of already low staticΒ loft? Clearly I think betterΒ impact consistency to be had from a de-lofted shorter club could be a contributing reason for the adaptive techniqueΒ ofΒ de-lofting.Β You definitely know pro swing impact data better than me, is my impression of how much pros de-loft clubs off? It really seems to be a lot relative to the staticΒ gaps between clubs.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I get that it helps dynamics. Not convinced that's the sole reason. I definitely agree it's done because it's proven toΒ work for a lot of things. But it appears to me thatΒ there's a lot moreΒ de-loftingΒ than I'dΒ expect to simply move the low point a bitΒ in front of the ball? Plus they counter the forward lean / low point with a 'shallow' divot.Β Why bother to add that part to narrow the spin loft? Why not just hit down and take a big divot?

Too many questions to answer here (and I didn't bother to include your second paragraph). Suffice to say it's optimal for distance control, gapping, and consistency.Β This thread is not about basic launch characteristics, swing dynamics, etc.

So, yeah, back to the topic, please.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Too many questions to answer here (and I didn't bother to include your second paragraph). Suffice to say it's optimal for distance control, gapping, and consistency.Β This thread is not about basic launch characteristics, swing dynamics, etc.

So, yeah, back to the topic, please.

This part was squarely on topic:Β Do you think the OPΒ club's construction (thin face with softer insert behind) is intended to be higher COR than typical irons (though not as high as woods, hybrids, or driver)? That's what I inferred from the diagrams, but it could have an entirely different purpose given the issues you describe (with high COR).Β 

Kevin

• Administrator
Just now, natureboy said:

This part was squarely on topic.

Not really.Β The OP is about them signing a bunch of players. Move on or start a specific topic about whatever it is you want to discuss.

On 1/4/2016 at 8:35 AM, saevel25 said:

http://news.yahoo.com/zach-johnson-among-8-players-moving-pxg-092826600--golf.html?nf=1

Looks like PXG is making waves a bit already getting 13 players (PGA,Β LPGA,Β Champions Tour)Β including Zach Johnson to sign on to use their equipment. A quote from Zach,Β 

''My entire team, from caddie to coach, was part of the discernment process,'' Johnson said. ''We all agree that PXG is undeniably the best equipment to help me achieve my goals on the course.''

It's pretty impressive to steal a Titleist guy.Β 

PXG equipment is currently being played on the PGA TOUR by Zach Johnson, Billy Horschel, Chris Kirk, Ryan Moore, James Hahn and Charles Howell III, the Champions Tour by Rocco Mediate and the LPGA Tour by Cristie Kerr, Gerina Piller, Alison Lee, Beatriz Recari and Sadena Parks.

Β 

I never heard of PXG. I use Tour Blazer irons that are 30+ years old . Β I am a scratch player. There is NO WAY that new clubs are going to help me lower my scores! In fact, I would probably lose valuable time " breaking in" new clubs. I am 67 years old, for Vardon's sake! Β I will use my Tour Blazers until the day I die!

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

5 hours ago, PEZGolf said:

I never heard of PXG.

Β 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

On 1/4/2016 at 0:48 PM, Golfingdad said:

Β 

This makes perfect sense based on history, and it works out pretty well for them as well. :)

Β 

Β  Β I dont believe Titleist has to throw boatloads of money to touring pros to promote their clubs ... Β the quality of the clubs Titleist sells to the public at large is top notch , first rate & there are little to no gimmicks to convince anyone to buy and when the clubs do the talking the high dollar equipment contracts to pro's are not neededΒ 

Β 

23 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Good promo video. I think the senior engineer kinda looks like Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon.

Yeah that's Mike Nicolette, really good player (one tour win)Β who was the top guy at PING for a number of years. Definitely some design similarities between PING andΒ the PXG clubs.

Mike McLoughlin

I am just waiting for PXG to send TSTΒ a set of clubs and I can volunteer for write the review. I know @mvmacΒ will pick me!Β 

Michael

7 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I am just waiting for PXG to send TSTΒ a set of clubs and I can volunteer for write the review. I know @mvmacΒ will pick me!Β 

Just buy them, only $2,400 for a set of eight ironsΒ :beer:

Mike McLoughlin

I've heard PXG is sending free sets to all celebrities that play golf, soΒ don't be surprised if you see a lot of PXG bags are the Pro-Ams.

Bob ParsonsΒ can pay pro'sΒ whatever it takes to get them signed,Β he's got GoDaddy money.

Joe Paradiso

Note:Β This thread is 3022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!