IGNORED

How is distance really affected by cold weather?

chspeed
Note: This thread is 2600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interestingly, this was on my mind yesterday as I practiced on a cold and windy day trying a few balls.  

Definately a few percentage points loss in distance from temperature but fairways were dry and running fast.  Wind negated rollout mostly, except on several expected downwinder holes.  

The Bridgestone Tour 330RXS performed well in the cold and wind.  Holding its line, when I struck it right.  A Wilson Duo just got up in the wind a little too high.  I put my Pro V1x away for the day.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess it depends on how long its been cold. I have to go down a club on frozen ground. If you hit a frozen green on the fly its like hitting the cart path, that ball is 50 yards past the green by the time it stops bouncing. I play a lot of low bump and run shots and just hope the bounces go my way. The bounce and roll on my drives more than make up for loss of carry.

1 hour ago, Shooting29 said:

My long clubs show a more significant difference but I believe that is a direct correlation to the number of layers I have on. I just can't swing as fast with a compression base layer, a golf shirt, and a performance outer layer as I can with just a golf shirt. That swing restriction affects the longer clubs much more than short irons. 

Of course. I didn't even think consider the fact I was wearing a shirt, sweatshirt and winter coat.

When hitting in the yard I use balls found on the course. Some are quite old but others are in very good condition and are the high-end Titleist ProV's and Bridgestone. On the course I use Titleist Solos.

1 minute ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

I guess it depends on how long its been cold. I have to go down a club on frozen ground. If you hit a frozen green on the fly its like hitting the cart path, that ball is 50 yards past the green by the time it stops bouncing. I play a lot of low bump and run shots and just hope the bounces go my way. The bounce and roll on my drives more than make up for loss of carry.

My shots were landing in thick, matted grass so there was very little run out. My normal clean shot has a higher trajectory anyway so I'd consider that a wash.

I think the combination of the very low temps and the fact I was wearing some thick layers had a substantial impact. I may even be swinging a little slower while working on my priority, but I don't know if that's really the case.

Jon

Like others have mentioned, there are a lot of variables involved.  When the temps are above 70^, it has very little effect on the ball, but as it gets colder golf balls get harder and lose their restitution.  Different balls will react differently depending on what materials they are made of, but the colder it gets the more it has an affect on performance.

The modern solid core multi-layer ball tends to be affected the least by temperature.  Solid core 2-piece balls will be affected slightly more.  The old wound balls were very sensitive to temperature change and lost a lot of performance when it got cold.

temp.PNG.7ef0c33d779c579be0b3cda998aba22c.PNG

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!