IGNORED

Where Is Your Next Golf Trip Going to Be?

Smidd4

In only two weeks I'll be packed and waiting to board a plane to Scotland for a week of fun.  Dundonald, Prestwick, Gailes, and Western Gailes, while staying across the street from Prestick.  Then North Berwick, the Glen, Gullane #2, and Dunbar, staying at a little Inn in Aberlady.  I can't wait.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

In only two weeks I'll be packed and waiting to board a plane to Scotland for a week of fun.  Dundonald, Prestwick, Gailes, and Western Gailes, while staying across the street from Prestick.  Then North Berwick, the Glen, Gullane #2, and Dunbar, staying at a little Inn in Aberlady.  I can't wait.

I played Western Gailes and Prestwick last August and had a blast. Stayed across the street from Prestwick myself. Great to take advantage of their pitching/chipping area in the evenings, but the course..woof. Still have nightmares about hitting  itin the rough at Prestwick and Western Gailes. I thought Carnoustie was easy after those courses.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:15 PM, TheFlyerLie said:

I played Western Gailes and Prestwick last August and had a blast. Stayed across the street from Prestwick myself. Great to take advantage of their pitching/chipping area in the evenings, but the course..woof. Still have nightmares about hitting  itin the rough at Prestwick and Western Gailes. I thought Carnoustie was easy after those courses.

We're staying at the Golf View Guesthouse, were you in the same spot?  Any recommendations for food and drink within walking distance?

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, DaveP043 said:

You are in for a treat . If you can find time when in north Berwick Killspindie on route to Gullane is a not to be missed classic links and maybe Musselburgh  nine hole , the Oldest course in the world is something history buffs might like to play . You can even hire some hickory sticks and play it like in the old days .

Anyway have a great time and don't play pool in the golfers rest , they are bloody  bandits ! 

I'm resuming my 50 state capital road trip on June 10, 2018. I'm planning to play in 25 capitals plus Washington DC.

The list has the courses I plan to play and the order, weather permitting. 

IMG_3408.thumb.JPG.728e8921e3d338b2fe859caee594dc86.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, spider said:

I'm resuming my 50 state capital road trip on June 10, 2018. I'm planning to play in 25 capitals plus Washington DC.

I'm excited to see the pics and hear your reports.     I'm happy for you.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

11 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

We're staying at the Golf View Guesthouse, were you in the same spot?  Any recommendations for food and drink within walking distance?

Yep! That's where we stayed. Great little spot. There were a few restaursnts that seemed good but we were there on a Sunday/Monday with early tee times and still a bit jetlagged because it was early in the trip. Ask the folks in the Prestwick clubhouse and they'll point you to one of the better local spots. We went to a pub that appeared to be a chain. I think it was essentially the Applebee's of Prestwick. Definitely go upstairs in the Prestwick clubhouse and have a drink after (or before) the round.

One of my playing companions lost his swing immediately upon arrival in Scotland. After two miserable days at Prestwick and Western Gailes. I went with him to the driving range on the outskirts of Prestwick near Western Gailes, https://www.gailesgolfleisure.com/. If you haven't gotten your fill of golf and want to make some full swings (you can chip at Prestwick), this place is a fun local vibe. Driving range with mats, and a pitch and a putt course we had a blast on.

I will be at North Padre Island, TX in May for 4 days. Not sure yet what courses are available in the Corpus Christi area, but I am sure, will get some good courses for me. 

9 hours ago, spider said:

Will this complete your 50 state tour?

Goodwin Park GC Hartford, CT - I have played there several times when I lived in Hartford, one of the places I shot 67.  Short, but fun track, from what I remember.  

Western View - Augusta, ME - Haven't played here in years, short 9 hole course, nothing special.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Going to Wildwood, NJ soon. Is Cape May National pretty much the only choice? Public courses only - not a member of private so no reciprocal.  

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

14 hours ago, spider said:

Enjoy the trip. I look forward to hearing about it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

All my bags are packed
I'm ready to go
But I’m gonna sleep before I'm standin' here outside your door
I cant wait to wake you up to say “ I need a ride to the airport”
But the dawn will be breaking'
It'll be early morn
There is no taxi's waitin'
I’m  blowin' our horn
Already I'm pissed, start driving now!
Then I’ll be off to Kapalua, then Lanai.

so I’m leaving on a propeller plane, I know exactly when I’ll be home again. Nobody is lonely here.

Yes it may be only 120 miles away but I have to pack up the clubs like I’m heading to Auld Grey Toon. 3 days starting tomorrow at 11am at Kapalua, yes again, I did it 7 weeks ago, but this time I’m going to Lanai and will play all day at Manele Golf Club. Hope for 36 holes, then I’ll sleep.

Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2018 at 8:25 AM, nevets88 said:

Going to Wildwood, NJ soon. Is Cape May National pretty much the only choice? Public courses only - not a member of private so no reciprocal.  

A tad late. I have done a buddie trip to area for 25 years. Fave is Twisted Dunes, Atlantic City CC is great but pricey. Shoregate is fabulous. Stone Harbor is private but if ya call they may say OK. 

Edison NJ or Boston. Haven’t picked a venue yet. Going to rent clubs...

I’ll call @billchao or @boogielicious to see if our schedules coincide... :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I will be hitting the road later today for an annual meet up with friends. We are supposed to find some of the group in Beatty, Nevada. Beatty is definitely not a golf destination. However, 40+/- miles away is the Furnace Creek golf course, where we will be playing  a few rounds of golf. 

FCGC is located in Death Valley , California. The course was, or maybe still is the lowest course in the world at 214' feet below sea level. It was also listed in someone's top 50 hardest courses in America some years ago. It's a par 70 course. 

Folks talk about the difference between sea level golf, and golfing in higher altitudes. I have played this course many times in the past, and have not noticed any difference playing below sea level. 

Weather forecast is for high triple digits in the 116*-120*F range, and partly cloudy. Maybe a few sprinkles.

This is an annual meet up for our group. We started out 20 odd years ago with just 5 of us making the trip. We now have 15+ different folks showing up. We picked Furnace Creek because this time of year it's just plain to damn hot to be crowded. Most of us have our RVs and few will utilize the local motels. 

Not everyone will be golfing but a few of us fools will brave the mid day heat for a few rounds. Others will be doing the sight seeing thing. 

Once done in Death Valley a few of us will head into the cooler high country. This is a two week trip for us.  

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Smith Mtn lake trip in August and then Streamsong in October.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones