Jump to content
Foot-Wedge

Soft-Stepping Project X 6.0 Shafts in My Irons

14 posts / 9635 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

  • I've been gaming TEE XCG3s w/ ProjectX 6.0 (stiff+) for about 6 months with the thought that these shafts are too stiff for my swing.  the P6 have the following flexes; 5.0-Regular, 5.5-Stiff, 6.0-Stiff+, 6.5-XStiff and 7.0-Tour XStiff.
  • My swing speed is about 106mph (play Stiff in Driver, 3 wood and 4 rescue) but isn't up to speed for these Stiff+ shafts IMO.  My dispersion is pushed right, straight, and pulled left....with a push right being the dominate approach shot.
  • I had a friend explain soft-stepping iron shafts to me (putting 3iron shaft in 4iron, 4iron in 5iron and so on) which softens the flex to what we guessed would be about a 5.6-5.7 flex in Project X shafts.  Of course I would need to get a shaft for my 3 iron and have read that this will help (on the true temper youtube channel) and can only do this process 2x.

Any thoughts or recommendations on this process!?  Being the irons are 5-6 yo, I don't want to put a lot of $$$ into all new shafts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

10 minutes ago, Foot-Wedge said:
  • I've been gaming TEE XCG3s w/ ProjectX 6.0 (stiff+) for about 6 months with the thought that these shafts are too stiff for my swing.  the P6 have the following flexes; 5.0-Regular, 5.5-Stiff, 6.0-Stiff+, 6.5-XStiff and 7.0-Tour XStiff.
  • My swing speed is about 106mph (play Stiff in Driver, 3 wood and 4 rescue) but isn't up to speed for these Stiff+ shafts IMO.  My dispersion is pushed right, straight, and pulled left....with a push right being the dominate approach shot.
  • I had a friend explain soft-stepping iron shafts to me (putting 3iron shaft in 4iron, 4iron in 5iron and so on) which softens the flex to what we guessed would be about a 5.6-5.7 flex in Project X shafts.  Of course I would need to get a shaft for my 3 iron and have read that this will help (on the true temper youtube channel) and can only do this process 2x.

Any thoughts or recommendations on this process!?  Being the irons are 5-6 yo, I don't want to put a lot of $$$ into all new shafts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Correction:  From TrueTemper's Catalog, here are the shaft options for ProjectX;

  • X+ (7.0)
  • X (6.5)
  • S+ (6.0)
  • S (5.5)
  • R+ (5.0)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Foot-Wedge said:

soft-stepping iron shafts to me (putting 3iron shaft in 4iron, 4iron in 5iron and so on)

Working on irons is easy an inexpensive DIY manner. Experimenting in "stepping shafts" can be rewarding.

I suggest to choose on club, you pick it, 7-5 for starters. buy a few used/pulled ProjectX 6.0 shafts (Ebay is a good source)

Uncut would be best. Also, if available a few club heads (TEE XCG3s) club that you choose.

Now you have the potential to build 3 or 4 combinations to compare.

Build suggestions: step each club in 1/4" increments, or max 3/8"

Best to lay all four shafts on a bench and mark the cut placement of tip and butt. Number each shaft for reference.

Take notes of your work. Once you determine the best suited, then apply to a full set.

Have fun with your experiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Working on irons is easy an inexpensive DIY manner. Experimenting in "stepping shafts" can be rewarding.

I suggest to choose on club, you pick it, 7-5 for starters. buy a few used/pulled ProjectX 6.0 shafts (Ebay is a good source)

Uncut would be best. Also, if available a few club heads (TEE XCG3s) club that you choose.

Now you have the potential to build 3 or 4 combinations to compare.

Build suggestions: step each club in 1/4" increments, or max 3/8"

Best to lay all four shafts on a bench and mark the cut placement of tip and butt. Number each shaft for reference.

Take notes of your work. Once you determine the best suited, then apply to a full set.

Have fun with your experiment.

Good info!  Thanks for the tips!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went through this process with some FST 115 stiff/xstiff shafts.  I did 1/2 soft step increment from 0 to 2 inches from stiff.  I finally decided the 0 soft step was best.  All the others had a bias for going right on my normal swing.  I hit a lot of ball to determine this.  Also hit them on the course as well.  It helped me for wondering "what if".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With 106mph driver SS the 6.0's should be fine. Not why you'd think otherwise.

1 hour ago, Foot-Wedge said:
  • I've been gaming TEE XCG3s w/ ProjectX 6.0 (stiff+) for about 6 months with the thought that these shafts are too stiff for my swing.  the P6 have the following flexes; 5.0-Regular, 5.5-Stiff, 6.0-Stiff+, 6.5-XStiff and 7.0-Tour XStiff.
  • My swing speed is about 106mph (play Stiff in Driver, 3 wood and 4 rescue) but isn't up to speed for these Stiff+ shafts IMO.  My dispersion is pushed right, straight, and pulled left....with a push right being the dominate approach shot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

With 106mph driver SS the 6.0's should be fine. Not why you'd think otherwise.

 

In all honesty, a little softer shaft IMO would help tighten my dispersion pattern and build my confidence, which is huge for me!  I've had a number of good players, that I trust, look at some numbers and swing and have received the same reaction, "It's going to help more than hurt your consistency and confidence."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Foot-Wedge said:

In all honesty, a little softer shaft IMO would help tighten my dispersion pattern and build my confidence, which is huge for me!  I've had a number of good players, that I trust, look at some numbers and swing and have received the same reaction, "It's going to help more than hurt your consistency and confidence."

A stronger shaft is recommended for tighter dispersion. Weaker shaft for a bit more kick and distance. What reasoning would contradict this general practice being applied to your case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not to be rude but I started this thread to get info on soft-stepping...I know what I want to do just seeking info on how-to's and experiences with soft-stepping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Foot-Wedge said:

Not to be rude but I started this thread to get info on soft-stepping...I know what I want to do just seeking info on how-to's and experiences with soft-stepping.

Sure, but explaining your reasoning for needing/wanting to soft-soft could help others who might want to do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

A stronger shaft is recommended for tighter dispersion. Weaker shaft for a bit more kick and distance. What reasoning would contradict this general practice being applied to your case?

I agree with this.  I tried soft stepping for the above reasons and to get a little more height.  I realized I might be sacrificing accuracy.  that is why I tried different stepping and eventually settled on no soft stepping the original shaft. 

I have TT DG S300s in all my irons.  I tried the FST 115 to see if it was a softer shaft.  My test case was a couple of 4 irons and the FST 115 shaft feels much better then the DG S300 so far.  I won't know for the entire set until I put them in play this weekend (unless it's raining as forecast). 

Edited by vangator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foot-Wedge,

One's best shaft flex is not influenced just by clubhead speed. Another recent factor is your swing tempo. At the top, do you have a quick or a smooth transition? All things equal, a golfer with a quick transition may need a stiffer flex than someone with a smooth transition.

(You can measure this with the Mizuno shaft optimizer.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cheap enough to try. Buy a $20 heat gun, ferrules and epoxy. Takes a couple hours at most. As for trying to get in between flexes (soft/hard) I've messed with it not looking for answers but because I often buy pulls and I am too cheap to match up exactly, if I get a 5-PW set of pulls I will make it work in my 4-9 or whatever. I've gone both ways and couldn't feel a difference.

I notice more in different types of shafts from different manufactures. I have similar SS and my swing isn't what I consider smooth, quick and aggressive and the 6.0's feel rigid to me. Anything but real good contact is met with harsh feedback and I often can't feel the shaft load and the head kind of hangs out there. Not sure there is much to gain soft stepping those. I use the KBS Tour stiff with similar fcm and it feels a lot softer/smoother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...