IGNORED

AMA Thread (@jamo)

jamo
Note: This thread is 2982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is your 5 and 10 year plans for your career? Are you going to build submarines forever? 

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, jamo said:

This is going to sound very corny, but it's something I really learned over the last year: you've got to just be yourself. There are some things you can adjust (attitude, outlook, the way you treat people), but in terms of your interests, your life, and your personality, the only way to know if people like you is if you're just yourself. There's no one inciting event, but it's something I've come to really realize. So I half answered the question. :-)

Dude! you answered it and a half. I knew the quiet waters ran deep. Really.

11 hours ago, jamo said:

Torrey Pines (I've got to recreate Tiger's 72nd hole), Pinehurst (huge Donald Ross fan), TPC Sawgrass (for some reason I've just always loved it and The Players). If I can make it a top 5, I'll add The Old Course (obviously) and Carnoustie (so much drama on those last few holes in majors). Top seven, I'm adding Kapalua and Harbour Town. I might have stretched that a little. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

So, which one/ones this year on your 5 year time table?

Vishal S.

11 hours ago, jamo said:

Jamo is just a nickname I've had since I was a kid. My first name is Jamieson, and my parents started calling me "Jamo." A few friends heard it and started calling me that. Pretty much everyone I went to high school with calls me Jamo. And, I was in high school when I made this account...

I don't really go by it much anymore as an actual nickname (at least with new people I meet), but I do love the way it looks without the capital - "jamo."

"The Goon" nickname is a few years old. I don't remember the specific user, but they went on a big flameout, and directed his comments towards "Erik and his goons." Hence, "The Goon."

He obviously didn't mean it as a compliment, but I actually kind of like it. I'm a big guy. Goon-ish. :beer:

I prefer Minion or Henchman.  

How does real world engineering work compare to what you learned in college. Is it different than you expected?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

13 hours ago, mchepp said:

What is your 5 and 10 year plans for your career? Are you going to build submarines forever? 

Obviously I don't want to publicly discuss every thought about my future career, but I'll just say that I genuinely don't think I could have found a better first job. I've done hands-on manufacturing support, down and dirty engineering calculations, design trade studies, scheduling, and vendor work. I've been the leader of a project, the second banana, and just one of a larger group. I've given huge presentations and watched others do the same. I won't work here forever - the location alone ensures that - but I've enjoyed it so far.

4 hours ago, GolfLug said:

So, which one/ones this year on your 5 year time table?

I think I can definitely hit TPC Sawgrass in the next five years. If another one's a possibility, it's Torrey.

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

How does real world engineering work compare to what you learned in college. Is it different than you expected?

So, at least for my current job, I wish we'd spent less times on things like fluids and thermodynamics/heat transfer, and more time on mechanics of materials and kinematics. 

But the stuff we learned about project planning during our junior and senior designs projects was very helpful, and invaluable. Obviously I wish we could have done more of that stuff, but I understand that it's time-consuming and expensive (though, so are my student loans, so...).

I've gotten to do so many different things at my job, some of it was as expected, some of it was way outside what I thought would happen.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

What kind of ball do you play and why? Do you have a tip for us on this? Let's say for guys like me, having ss around 90-95 with the driver.

Maybe better to ask this @iacas because he was the first to start a thread like this, but you are also a mod. Why are these threads in the 'instructions and playing tips'?

ps: like these threads a lot.

Edited by MacDutch

2 hours ago, MacDutch said:

What kind of ball do you play and why? Do you have a tip for us on this? Let's say for guys like me, having ss around 90-95 with the driver.

I'm not very picky when it comes to golf balls. I generally use the spinner of the two tour-level balls when available (ProV1 rather than ProV1x), but I've been happy with Titleist, Nike, TaylorMade, Bridgestone, and KickX.

2 hours ago, MacDutch said:

ps: like these threads a lot.

Feel free to start one! Anyone can.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Foursomes, or fourballs?

And when you go to Pinehurst or to Scotland, let me know.  I've done both of those trips, and might be able to answer any questions you might have.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Foursomes, or fourballs?

I'll say fourball. I think it strikes a more interesting (to me) balance between team play and individual play.

I had a great time playing both for the first time at the Newport Cup though!

In my bag:

What's the avatar you're using?  It's something I've wondered about, but clearly not enough to do a reverse image search or otherwise try to find out other than asking.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

23 hours ago, jamo said:

I'll say fourball. I think it strikes a more interesting (to me) balance between team play and individual play.

I had a great time playing both for the first time at the Newport Cup though!

I agree with you, I think that in foursomes its really difficult to get into any kind of rhythm hitting every other shot, and the pressure is much higher since you put your partner into trouble with your bad shot, not yourself.  I enjoyed the different kind of challenge with it in Phoenix, but I'd hate to play a lot of foursomes

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

17 minutes ago, Shindig said:

What's the avatar you're using?  It's something I've wondered about, but clearly not enough to do a reverse image search or otherwise try to find out other than asking.

Jim Halpert from "The Office." This was actually my avatar from years ago, within a year of when I first joined the site. I've changed it a few times since, both times to pictures of my golf swing, but have taken to grafting Jim's head over mine. It reverted back to this when the site switched over and I keep forgetting to change it back.

In my bag:

• 1 month later...

This thread was a lot of fun, so I figured I'd just give it a bump and a banana. :banana:

In my bag:

• Administrator

What is your favorite national pizza chain (Pizza Hut, Papa John's, etc.) and favorite pizza FROM that brand?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

What is your favorite national pizza chain (Pizza Hut, Papa John's, etc.) and favorite pizza FROM that brand?

I actually really like Domino's. Hate Papa John's and Little Ceasers, Pizza Hut is fine but not great, and I'd jump off a cliff sooner than I'd eat Sbarro. I don't usually like green peppers and onion pizza, but for some reason I really like that at Domino's. Brooklyn style or the classic hand tossed.

In my bag:

Do you miss being in college?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!