IGNORED

My Swing (coop6)

coop6
Note: This thread is 2388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Golfer2223 said:

in Dustin's swing, the club opens through impact (because it is so shut at the top). Then later it will square up again to the plane. Another example of a great golfer who doesn't close the face after impact.

It absolutely does close through impact. It closes relative to the target line (duh) AND to the plane. This has been measured.

Below, in two swings (including the one you listed), the clubface has closed quite a bit in both and it's STILL not even to shaft-horizontal. Were it "square to the arc" the leading edge of the clubface would be closely matching his spine's inclination. IT does not.

Duston Johnson, from shaft parallel in the downswing until impact, has a slower "rate of closure" than many people, but that's because as you correctly note it's a bit more "closed" than we're used to seeing. We call it "square" when the clubface rests ON the plane at the top of the backswing (which is rotated 90° to where it started, perpendicular to the plane). Dustin's late in the downswing is maybe 30° off the plane. He's still "closing" it throughout the downswing, just at a slower rate, and he's closing it after impact, too. Even Dustin Johnson's swing has the clubface slightly "open" (not perpendicular) to the plane on the downswing and closing continuously from there.

dustin.thumb.jpg.12f5f1a3bb0552e6431c5b5

6 minutes ago, Golfer2223 said:

I saw the response but don't see why I should respond when you've told me I have no ground to stand on. I will stick to helping those who are open to it. 

It's not helping people to give out bad information. I responded - in some depth - to you in the other thread. Please stop carrying this conversation out in someone else's Member Swing thread. @coop6 is working on his own swing and has a plan in mind already, or he's working with an instructor and they have a plan in mind.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@mvmac  my instructor and I have a very good direction. And I will not get sidetracked by someone I don't know. I appreciate your help. I completely agree with what you're saying.  He is a Morad instructor. So everything we work on is based off that model.  My swing has done a complete 180 over the last six months, it looks a lot better than it did but still not where I want to. The transition is getting better, and once I get it where I want it I will be more concerned about the follow-through position. 

Edited by coop6

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

7 minutes ago, coop6 said:

My swing has done a complete 360 over the last six months, it looks a lot better than it did but still not where I want to. 

so it's right back to where you were when you started?

6 minutes ago, rusty35 said:

so it's right back to where you were when you started?

What do you mean? It says 180 ?

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, coop6 said:

What do you mean? It says 180 ?

You edited it. He probably quoted you when it said 360 is all. :-)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You edited it. He probably quoted you when it said 360 is all. :-)

I thought I put a ?

1 hour ago, rusty35 said:

yea, nice edit.  lol.

seriously though, nice swing too! 

I appreciate it. It has been a grind but still have a LONG ways to go. Can't wait to just start playing golf and not playing golf swing. I use to go from method to method but I'm very committed to MOrAD and like what I've learned and what it's about.

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

@coop6 Assuming you guys are working on the connection as you stated earlier, I'm curious to see how you fix it. I struggle with the connection when I'm having off days, and I can't find a good fix. The towel under arms is the original fix, but i structors don't like it, I don't like it, and even Dufner seems to have inconsistencies, though he uses it in his warm up routine. I saw that your drill was moving the arms first from the top to about hip level, and rehearsing this motion several times. I'm trying to find or think of other drills. If you find something you're willing to share and your instructor doesn't mind would love to try it myself.

Please read this thread when considering swing advice from me.

Best drills for me are piecing it together the way I want it but always hitting a ball. 

I like to go to p2 correct, then Pivot to the top without any arm lift. I then get to p5 where I want it and hit the ball with a good MOrAD p8/8.5 position. 

Then I'll do the same except pause at p4 then hit it from there exaggerating my changes. My issues is over flexing the rt arm and over hinging wrist. I'm trying to feel the rt elbow leading and moving faster than the shoulder.

• Upvote 1

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

i like this explanation! This is what I should feel, correct???

Edited by iacas
please embed videos

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

@mvmac haven't you been to a MOrAD seminar?? 

If so, what are my biggest faults?

Edited by iacas
embedded video

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

20 minutes ago, coop6 said:

Not posting in enough other threads.-Try to post in other topics too buddy.

And shoot slow-Mo video.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

13 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

Not posting in enough other threads.-Try to post in other topics too buddy.

And shoot slow-Mo video.

10-4, Thanks

this is the Slomo, now I'll go post in other threads which I have done.

Edited by iacas
please embed videos

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

On 2/22/2016 at 4:30 PM, coop6 said:

This is what I should feel, correct???

Not a fan of that video. "Lag happens", you shouldn't manually try to add or create lag. Lag is a byproduct of good sequencing with the arms/pivot. I'm not a fan of the positions rehearsed in that video, they're too extreme and not functional.

6 hours ago, coop6 said:

@mvmac haven't you been to a MOrAD seminar?? 

No I've never been to a Mac school but have learned from a lot of guys that have.

I like that way the backswing is progressing from dtl, I'd always make sure the hips aren't swaying back. One thing I think would be important to address is the lack of lower body rotation on the downswing and how the shaft steeping on the downswing (those two are related.

Compare these pics 

56d3e81ab3e53_ScreenShot2016-02-28at10.356d3e81f3107a_ScreenShot2016-02-28at10.3

To these. Not saying you have to look exactly like these guys, just giving you an idea of where I think you need to be headed. So opening much more with the hips on the downswing and feeling like you bow the left wrist (right now it gets a little cupped).

I also agree with what @Phil McGleno posted, please participate in other threads. Who's the MORAD guy you work with. Is it Frank?

A photo posted by Dana Dahlquist (@danadahlquist) on

@bm_waldman second day path towards the dark side. Nailed 5-6

A photo posted by Dana Dahlquist (@danadahlquist) on

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I can def see the hips stalling. The shaft at p6 is way too steep, I've been working on that for a little while. George Hunt has been working with me on my pivot, and getting the rt elbow to not move down and back. I appreciate the kind words about the back swing. I'll get it fixed!

I work with George Hunt and Jim Georgen. Both friends and have been to many MOrAD classes. One works at the same place as me, so that makes it easy.

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

Okay @coop6 got a swing fix for ya. If you aren't looking for one feel free to disregard but thought I would share. Now that I've finally got a couple rounds in this year and feel like my swing is where I want it to be, I think I can offer some really solid advice to people. This way I'm not just being theoretical but actually promoting what works for me. I have a pretty standard swing so I just stick to the overall basics and don't try to touch the natural moves people have unless they are really wild.

Anyway what I see you doing is taking the club back too much with your arms in the takeaway, or at least your arms aren't connected with the body going back. Not sure if it might be your right arm pulling too much but your left arm is definitely disconnecting early in the takeaway from what I like to see*. This is causing your arms to start over the top on the downswing because they aren't in sync, and so you have an impact where the right arm is totally straight (sort of like Baddeley). The right elbow should be more in at impact for consistency. I think you will see improvement if you do this drill: Practice hitting it as far as you can with half swings. What feels like a half swing to you might end up being longer but try to stay short and connected and really mash it. Do this until you feel like you're getting the most distance for the shortest swing. It's almost impossible to be disconnected on the takeaway and achieve power in a short move. What happens is golfers add swing length to a disconnected takeaway to get more arm speed and make up for power. You can probably hit is just as far as you do now with a more connected half swing. After you get this down the extra swing length will equal more distance instead of making up for the loss of distance. A good thought for the takeaway I use is keeping the left arm very straight and firm. If I keep the left arm firm and in front of my body, not much goes wrong.

Edited by Golfer2223

Please read this thread when considering swing advice from me.

13 hours ago, coop6 said:

I work with George Hunt and Jim Georgen. Both friends and have been to many MOrAD classes. One works at the same place as me, so that makes it easy.

Ah I see, I've never met George but he was (maybe still is?) Mac's favorite guy in the circle for a few years.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

15 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Ah I see, I've never met George but he was (maybe still is?) Mac's favorite guy in the circle for a few years.

I know he's helped teach a bunch of school. Probably been to over 20, just a guess. He knows MOrAD as good as anyone!!

1 hour ago, Golfer2223 said:

Okay @coop6 got a swing fix for ya. If you aren't looking for one feel free to disregard but thought I would share. Now that I've finally got a couple rounds in this year and feel like my swing is where I want it to be, I think I can offer some really solid advice to people. This way I'm not just being theoretical but actually promoting what works for me. I have a pretty standard swing so I just stick to the overall basics and don't try to touch the natural moves people have unless they are really wild.

Anyway what I see you doing is taking the club back too much with your arms in the takeaway, or at least your arms aren't connected with the body going back. Not sure if it might be your right arm pulling too much but your left arm is definitely disconnecting early in the takeaway from what I like to see*. This is causing your arms to start over the top on the downswing because they aren't in sync, and so you have an impact where the right arm is totally straight (sort of like Baddeley). The right elbow should be more in at impact for consistency. I think you will see improvement if you do this drill: Practice hitting it as far as you can with half swings. What feels like a half swing to you might end up being longer but try to stay short and connected and really mash it. Do this until you feel like you're getting the most distance for the shortest swing. It's almost impossible to be disconnected on the takeaway and achieve power in a short move. What happens is golfers add swing length to a disconnected takeaway to get more arm speed and make up for power. You can probably hit is just as far as you do now with a more connected half swing. After you get this down the extra swing length will equal more distance instead of making up for the loss of distance. A good thought for the takeaway I use is keeping the left arm very straight and firm. If I keep the left arm firm and in front of my body, not much goes wrong.

Seems like a drill worth a try. Thanks!

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

Note: This thread is 2388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!