IGNORED

What is the single worst common on-course breach of etiquette?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the single worst common on-course breach of etitquette  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Common Etiquette Issue

• Walking on line of putt
    • Talking/Making noise during a stroke
    • Moving during a stroke
    • Failure to offer/tend the flag
    • Playing music too loud
    • Playing out of turn
    • Walking away from green before others are done
    • Other (please describe)

On January 20, 2016 at 2:04 PM, rehmwa said:

That's all well and good, but have you tried options from the Top Ten?

1 - bottling it up inside until you crack

2 - glaring at their back

3 - reciprocating

4 - glaring at their front

5 - mumbling about it to yourself just loud enough to hear

6 - muttering about it to the other players

7 - snapping immediately on the first hole, screaming at him, and then looking for other things to bug you the rest of the round

8 - bringing it up bitterly after 18 holes are done

9 - waiting until every time they hit and then saying "Nice shot"

10 - showing them your nice watch so they see yours is nicer than theirs (or commenting on their cargo pants and discussing how much more expensive your clubs are than theirs - or any such action)

These are all good options too..... (I'd insert a smiley here, but I think it's pretty obvious)  ( I think this is my stock post for the multitude of "pet peeve" threads we seem to generate)

I know that guy!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/16/2016 at 9:56 AM, iceman777 said:

Players who drag their feet on the greens and leave a trail of  spike scuff marks

I think this is worse than accidently walking on someones line.

Most times in the guys in my group are gentle and try to tip toe around my line or walk around the line.

One time someone in a group ahead of ours  left some fresh scuff mark close to the hole on the hole.

Dont be lazy people!

Lift up the feet or else dont wear spikes,

Soft spikes leave scuff marks! Ruin the green for other people.

The other thing that is awful is trying to scoop up ball with the putter and leaving a mark on the edge of the hole, again ruining the cup for others to putt properly into.

Dont be lazy and bend down or else dont bother putting out. Or use those sunction cups some seniors have on the butt end of the putter if you have a bad back.

On January 13, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Fourputt said:

Other.  Not repairing pitch marks and divot holes is far worse than anything on that list.

I played with my grandpa behind a foursome that would spend 2 minutes after they finished putting just fixing divots. My grandpa was impatient, but I thanked them for doing it after the turn when they let us pass!

On January 18, 2016 at 7:47 PM, VOX said:

I'm glad no one has selected playing out of turn. Play ready golf.

I don't mind if people take extra time selecting clubs, or logically thinking about how they want to play it. As long as they aren't completely stunned that it's their turn to play.

On 1/15/2016 at 2:08 PM, DaveP043 said:

One of the other posts brought this to mind, I hate seeing cigar and cigarette butts. especially on tees and greens.  People would never think of dropping a candy bar wrapper, but they flip their butts and think nothing of it.  If you can't find a trash can, put it in your bag until you find one.  If its too nasty to put in your own bag, why do you expect ME to deal with it?  For a cigar butt, just tear it up, them little shreads will be fine, but a ciggy filter will last forever.

OK, I've found another one related to my previous rant.  A cigar may smell just fine out in the open air, where the smoke is diluted and soon is wafted away.  Take that same cigar into an enclosed on-course restroom, and the smell lingers and turns rancid.  Please leave the cigars and cigarette smoke out in the open, where it belongs.  As an aside, isn't smoking indoors in public places against the law in most states?  Shouldn't this apply to on-course permanent restrooms?

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Respect is an important part of golf. Always show some to your partners even if you have just met them.

I have played this game more than 50 years. In the old days, no one ever stood behind you when making a swing. Now it is a common way to watch someone's shot. I am still trying to get used to it.

It bothers me when high handicappers bring their wedges and irons on the green instead of leaving them outside the fringe.

For the most part, golf is a pleasant and civilized game and that is part of the enjoyment of it.

For me it's walking in the line of a putt.  Accidents can happen, and an I'm sorry resolves it for me.  Noise is a close second.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

• 3 weeks later...

Repairing any part of the course is important.  You should keep the course as nice as possible for everyone to enjoy. 

Driver: Nike SasQuatch 460 Tour Graphite
Irons: Titleist CB 712 Dynamic Gold
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX Black Pearl Steel Wedge 50° and 54°, Cleveland 588 RTG 60°
Putter: Nike Method Matter M4-12

Other, I'm surprised slow play has not had more love. I came to play also, not watch your 6 practice swings. The last one where you look up at your hands, which is useful only if you forgot which one is wearing a glove or how many you have.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

I voted other. Going home without having a beer at the 19th is unforgivable. 

• Upvote 1

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

8 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

I voted other. Going home without having a beer at the 19th is unforgivable. 

As long as it's after the round, I am good with that.  Hate drinking on the course.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

• 2 months later...

Pulling this one up because of Friday's round.

Playing a good day, hitting the ball well.  Just every once in a while getting a stench of cigarette smoke and can't figure out why.  No one is near, nothing going on.

FINALLY, I'm on 12 and I'm scanning my approach yardage and it hits again.  It's my rangefinder.

The last d-bag, narcissistic, addicted, a-wipe, selfish p-head had left his soggy cigarette butts in the bottom of the cupholder in the cart.  I put my rangefinder in the cupholders (also, my drinks, sometimes found golf balls) and this STENCH gets into the rubber eyepiece.

Are we like 5 years old that we can't throw our trash away like grownups?  We have to litter the course or just hide our stuff like kids? Just like every smoker I've ever met swears on his children's lives that HE doesn't pitch his butts out the car window (he's the only one in the world I guess).  When I drive in at the end of the day, I usually have something like 8-10 pieces of garbage I've picked up.  (yes, I forget multiple time the existence of the cans at each tee and keep this crud until the end of the round)

rant over, lesson learned, thanks for your patience, play on

• Upvote 2

Bill - 

The only one of golfs big etiquette practices that bothers me if broken is when players walk away from the green before everyone is done. I don't know why, it just does.  Sometimes people walking on my line bothers me if we are playing on soft greens, but usually that doesn't bother me too much. 99.9% of the time, its accidental. Talking during a stroke, playing out of turn, etc normally doesnt bother me at all. 

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

Pulling this one up because of Friday's round.

Playing a good day, hitting the ball well.  Just every once in a while getting a stench of cigarette smoke and can't figure out why.  No one is near, nothing going on.

FINALLY, I'm on 12 and I'm scanning my approach yardage and it hits again.  It's my rangefinder.

The last d-bag, narcissistic, addicted, a-wipe, selfish p-head had left his soggy cigarette butts in the bottom of the cupholder in the cart.  I put my rangefinder in the cupholders (also, my drinks, sometimes found golf balls) and this STENCH gets into the rubber eyepiece.

Are we like 5 years old that we can't throw our trash away like grownups?  We have to litter the course or just hide our stuff like kids? Just like every smoker I've ever met swears on his children's lives that HE doesn't pitch his butts out the car window (he's the only one in the world I guess).  When I drive in at the end of the day, I usually have something like 8-10 pieces of garbage I've picked up.  (yes, I forget multiple time the existence of the cans at each tee and keep this crud until the end of the round)

rant over, lesson learned, thanks for your patience, play on

Dude, have a smoke and calm down. Whoa! (That is nasty to put them I the cupholder). 

Edited by Gator Hazard

So my last round I played with a coworker whom we shall refer to as Ed which for me is shorthand for El Dipshit. Anyway said coworker Ed has told me about how he has played some great courses including one in Cali (can't remember if he said Torrey Pines) or what but a big recognizeable one. A few days before he text messages me saying to bring my "A" game because I'm going to need it and loser buys lunch. 

Well let's just say I didn't need my "A" game to win. He only won four holes. I invited the twosome behind us to join for pace of plays sake and about a few holes in Ed makes a snarky comment to the guy for hitting a tree when he was boxed in on RHS in jail basically. I couldn't believe it. At the end of our round Ed said that was the first time he scored over 120 since he started (he wanted to play mulligans and shit and messed up most of his drives and I told him if gambling it's straight up). I felt like telling him "that's because you never kept real score!!!"  The fact he talked smack to a guy who probably shot an 88 or 90 from the tips while he carded a 150 though and didn't even know the guy to joke with him was very annoying and embarrassing. 

Not fixing divots and ball marks has to be at the top. BUT, this new development of playing music on the course and practice tee has to be outlawed. Is there no place on this planet that we can escape this noise? 

• Upvote 1

Other: Divots and pitch marks, the little dime sized ones don't bother me it's the "chunks" of grass/dirt that people gouge out of the fairway/tee box that piss me off, they'll send a huge wad of turf flying and laugh and walk off leaving a frigin crater without repairing it, completely disrespectful to those who do respect the course as well as the people who own/maintain the course. 

Music is meh I can tune it out, talking I tune out as well, walking the putting line is never a concern as I almost always play solo.

-Josh 

"Why set yourself up for Failure, when you can set yourself up to succeed" -GolfMaineiac26

Note: This thread is 2885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!