Sign in to follow this  
bkuehn1952

What is the single worst common on-course breach of etiquette?

Note: This thread is 1373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the single worst common on-course breach of etitquette  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Common Etiquette Issue

• Walking on line of putt
    • Talking/Making noise during a stroke
    • Moving during a stroke
    • Failure to offer/tend the flag
    • Playing music too loud
    • Playing out of turn
    • Walking away from green before others are done
    • Other (please describe)

125 posts / 11621 viewsLast Reply

The worst is:

1.  Trying to enforce incorrect penalty's on other players.

2.  Trying to force me to make swing changes.

3.  Driving ahead of me and stopping so I have to hit past your cart.

4.  Unsolicited coaching.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

On 1/13/2016 at 8:35 AM, Fourputt said:

Other.  Not repairing pitch marks and divot holes is far worse than anything on that list.

Not repairing pitch marks is #1 and slow play is #2

I voted other.  I believe it is golfers that don't care for the course by repairing ball marks on the greens or divot holes in the fairways.

Not being at your ball when its your turn. Riding 50 yards  further so your partner can hit and then 50 yards back to return to your ball rather then take your club and let your partner go to his.

On January 15, 2016 at 2:56 PM, DaveP043 said:

Like I said, I didn't figure that one would resonate with too many other people.  It just kind of flowed forward from the butt issue, some more "clean up after your own damn self" stuff.  And thanks, I do appreciate the smokers who do their best to be considerate.

Dave I don't like practice range balls left on the putting green either.  It probably wouldn't bother me, except they are usually blocking every hole, which means I have to get them out of the way to practice.  Now. This doesn't happen too often at Springfield, but other courses I'be played were much worse.  

I too try my best to not leave my cigar stubs anywhere other than in a trash can.   

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/14/2016 at 3:19 AM, RussUK said:

a very British one for me. At the end of a round i always remove my hat and shake the hands of playing partners. Ive played many people who wont shake your hand and just finish with a quick "good game". My mum always says that manner cost nothing and thats something i have always stuck by. 

Its not as bad as not repairing pitch marks but still gets on my nerves.

I'm glad you said that, because I have never removed my hat to shake hands at the end of a round.  So yesterday, when I got hooked up with a couple of strangers, when we finished, I removed my hat and shook hands.   Thanks for pointing it out. 

7 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

I'm glad you said that, because I have never removed my hat to shake hands at the end of a round.  So yesterday, when I got hooked up with a couple of strangers, when we finished, I removed my hat and shook hands.   Thanks for pointing it out. 

It's only become "manners" in the last few years. I could make (and have made) the case that it's perfectly good manners to leave your hat on. Ben Hogan left his hat on. Arnold Palmer. Etc. You can find photos of them shaking hands with their hats on. Them and others.

Taking your hat off (and fumbling with your putter, sunglasses, ball, hat, towel…) is a fairly recent trend… one I don't endeavor to promote or enact.

On 1/13/2016 at 10:23 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

"Golf Digest" had a number of their staff respond to the question of what is the worst breach of etiquette.  Several mentioned issues that don't really happen during a round or are not limited to golf (e.g. last minute bailing on your buddies).

For me the common worst breach is moving within my peripheral vision area while I am making a stroke.  I may not like some other issues (e.g. talking or making noise during my stroke) and others I can shrug off.  The moving typically leads to a poor shot and that really grates.

How about everyone else.  Limit -  one to a customer.

Furyk is always practicing his putting stroke in his competitors vision. I can't believe nobody has said anything to him about it. Maybe they are so focused they don't notice? 

7 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

Furyk is always practicing his putting stroke in his competitors vision. I can't believe nobody has said anything to him about it. Maybe they are so focused they don't notice? 

Or maybe it's not the big deal that some amateurs make it out to be.

5 hours ago, Fourputt said:

Or maybe it's not the big deal that some amateurs make it out to be.

Maybe if some people are distracted by movement in their peripheral field of vision, whether it is a big deal or not, we should avoid moving? 

21 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Maybe if some people are distracted by movement in their peripheral field of vision, whether it is a big deal or not, we should avoid moving? 

I can be a little distracted if someone standing directly behind me (behind the ball, off my right side, not behind my back) moves during my swing.  If someone is in a position, where I might catch them in my peripheral vision, I simply ask nicely that they move.  Problem solved, and the onus is on me, because it's my issue, not theirs.

My company puts on all sorts of golf contests for www.hole-in-won.com & putting prizes, and what causes the shanks/yips the most is the polite coughing.....

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

I simply ask nicely

That's all well and good, but have you tried options from the Top Ten?

1 - bottling it up inside until you crack

2 - glaring at their back

3 - reciprocating

4 - glaring at their front

5 - mumbling about it to yourself just loud enough to hear

6 - muttering about it to the other players

7 - snapping immediately on the first hole, screaming at him, and then looking for other things to bug you the rest of the round

8 - bringing it up bitterly after 18 holes are done

9 - waiting until every time they hit and then saying "Nice shot"

10 - showing them your nice watch so they see yours is nicer than theirs (or commenting on their cargo pants and discussing how much more expensive your clubs are than theirs - or any such action)

These are all good options too..... (I'd insert a smiley here, but I think it's pretty obvious)  ( I think this is my stock post for the multitude of "pet peeve" threads we seem to generate)

23 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

That's all well and good, but have you tried options from the Top Ten?

1 - bottling it up inside until you crack

2 - glaring at their back

3 - reciprocating

4 - glaring at their front

5 - mumbling about it to yourself just loud enough to hear

6 - muttering about it to the other players

7 - snapping immediately on the first hole, screaming at him, and then looking for other things to bug you the rest of the round

8 - bringing it up bitterly after 18 holes are done

9 - waiting until every time they hit and then saying "Nice shot"

10 - showing them your nice watch so they see yours is nicer than theirs (or commenting on their cargo pants and discussing how much more expensive your clubs are than theirs - or any such action)

These are all good options too..... (I'd insert a smiley here, but I think it's pretty obvious)  ( I think this is my stock post for the multitude of "pet peeve" threads we seem to generate)

:dance:

For me, it's when someone plays too close behind me. We are a small town and the course is not crowded, so if someone starts playing one stroke behind it ticks me off pretty bad.

Note: This thread is 1373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!