IGNORED

GAME GOLF Strokes Gained Updates!

Note: This thread is 2866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, dsc123 said:

Sorry if this has been covered, but did they change the way putt distance works?  I used to enter my putt distances after each round and it was always distance to the hole.  I stopped doing that when I got the Live version because I stopped reviewing everything on a computer.  But today, I wanted to enter putt distances and it seems to give me the distance from putt 1 to putt 2 rather than to the hole.

I believe what I heard was that it assumes the last putt was a tap in. So if you two putt it just assumes your second putt was right by the hole.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, dsc123 said:

Sorry if this has been covered, but did they change the way putt distance works?  I used to enter my putt distances after each round and it was always distance to the hole.  I stopped doing that when I got the Live version because I stopped reviewing everything on a computer.  But today, I wanted to enter putt distances and it seems to give me the distance from putt 1 to putt 2 rather than to the hole.

I don't think you ever entered your putt distances.

I always drug my markers around, and I believe it used to tell you the distance in yards for all shots, including putts, but now it tells you in feet.

But I've never seen it where you enter your putt distances in directly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 6/5/2016 at 10:38 AM, Jeremie Boop said:

I believe what I heard was that it assumes the last putt was a tap in. So if you two putt it just assumes your second putt was right by the hole.

Yeah, I think that's how it works when it automatically puts your putts on there.

23 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think you ever entered your putt distances.

I always drug my markers around, and I believe it used to tell you the distance in yards for all shots, including putts, but now it tells you in feet.

But I've never seen it where you enter your putt distances in directly.

Right, I didn't mean "enter" as in typing in the number but going back and manually dragging the markets until the #'s were correct.

So for example, I had a straight 28 foot putt and hit it 5 feet short (ugh!).  How I would expect it to work, and how I remember it working in the past, was that I would place the pin 28 feet from the first putt location and then put the second putt marker in between them.  But this time, when I moved the flag, it only changed the distance of the second putt.  So to get the putt distances to say 28 ft and 5 ft, I have to put the second putt marker 258 feet from the first, and the flag 5 ft past that.  I guess that's fine, if that how it works, I just don't remember that being the case.  It also messes with the approach shot accuracy, though perhaps negligibly so. 

Notice the first putt distances stays the same when I move the flag:

1.jpg2.jpg

Edited by dsc123

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator
4 hours ago, dsc123 said:

Yeah, I think that's how it works when it automatically puts your putts on there.

Right, I didn't mean "enter" as in typing in the number but going back and manually dragging the markets until the #'s were correct.

So for example, I had a straight 28 foot putt and hit it 5 feet short (ugh!).  How I would expect it to work, and how I remember it working in the past, was that I would place the pin 28 feet from the first putt location and then put the second putt marker in between them.  But this time, when I moved the flag, it only changed the distance of the second putt.  So to get the putt distances to say 28 ft and 5 ft, I have to put the second putt marker 258 feet from the first, and the flag 5 ft past that.  I guess that's fine, if that how it works, I just don't remember that being the case.  It also messes with the approach shot accuracy, though perhaps negligibly so. 

You're doing it wrong if you've changed that up recently. I don't remember this changing, but the proper way is that if you have a 30-foot putt that you hit five feet past the hole, and then make that one, to have GG show a 35-foot putt going past the hole and then a 5-foot putt returning toward the hole.

In your case, you'd see a 23 foot putt and then a 5-foot putt. GG can do the math and knows that you had a 28-footer that you left 5 feet short.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't usually have to move the putt tags just the hole location the tags are what they are. If the question is does GG ding you for a putt that travels 35 feet when your shot was really 30 feet from the hole I doubt the approach stats are that exact. Probably places more value in GIR than putt distances. Regardless if you leave the putt 5 feet short or 5 feet past you still have a 5 foot putt, either you make it or you don't.

Only time is looks goofy is the rare instances when the come back is longer than the first putt. I've had that happen a few times when I misjudged slope and speed. Looks uphill but fades away past the hole and the 5 foot putt I had trickles 15 feet past the hole.

Dave :-)

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

I don't usually have to move the putt tags just the hole location the tags are what they are. If the question is does GG ding you for a putt that travels 35 feet when your shot was really 30 feet from the hole I doubt the approach stats are that exact. Probably places more value in GIR than putt distances. Regardless if you leave the putt 5 feet short or 5 feet past you still have a 5 foot putt, either you make it or you don't.

It still matters. If you have a 5-foot putt that you hit 10 feet or a 15-foot putt that you hit 10 feet… the first will lose strokes, while the second will lose significantly less strokes.

On putting. The first (the five-foot to the hole shot) will gain strokes on the approach, and the other (15 feet to the hole) will gain fewer strokes.

On 6/6/2016 at 3:58 PM, iacas said:

You're doing it wrong if you've changed that up recently. I don't remember this changing, but the proper way is that if you have a 30-foot putt that you hit five feet past the hole, and then make that one, to have GG show a 35-foot putt going past the hole and then a 5-foot putt returning toward the hole.

In your case, you'd see a 23 foot putt and then a 5-foot putt. GG can do the math and knows that you had a 28-footer that you left 5 feet short.

Thanks.  :beer:

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 2866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!