Note: This thread is 1944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently purchased a sleeve of pro v 1's.  I have been playing the x model.  I heard Adam Scott plays the pro v 1 regular.  Not sure if this is true or not.  Anyway, not sure if it was just me, but I did not seem to lose any distance on my driver or irons.  The ball seemed to play well around the greens too-plenty of spin.  I would be interested to see what others experience has been with these two balls.

21 minutes ago, span3636 said:

I recently purchased a sleeve of pro v 1's.  I have been playing the x model.  I heard Adam Scott plays the pro v 1 regular.  Not sure if this is true or not.  Anyway, not sure if it was just me, but I did not seem to lose any distance on my driver or irons.  The ball seemed to play well around the greens too-plenty of spin.  I would be interested to see what others experience has been with these two balls.

The difference between the two is marginal at best. You are looking at maybe a 200-300 less rpm's off the driver at best. They are basically different so you are fine tuning what you need rather than having a dramatic shift in design. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, span3636 said:

Welcome to the site. There's roughly a billion threads on this on the site, so I'll direct you to take a look at those because they'll answer your question in a lot of detail. But the reason a Tour player will play one over the other often comes down to a preferred feel. These guys generate tremendously good numbers and the balls can be used to fine tune here and there, but a lot of the decision will come down to which they prefer. The ProV1x spins a hair less off the driver and a bit more off of wedges. You're talking a couple hundred RPM difference max. Maybe he spins the ball a bit too little with his driver and wants a bit more through the ball. Maybe he doesn't need as much spin on wedge shots. Or he just likes the softer feel of the ProV1. A lot of time, when they're getting fit, they'll just tell their fitter what they want to see and once they see it, they're OK with it. They don't necessarily stress over the numbers like some amateurs do. So it's as much preference as performance driven. 

The ProV1 is meant to have slightly more spin than the ProV1x, but in my previous testing I found the difference in spin between the balls to not be statistically significant with a sample size of between 5 and 10.

Go with whatever feels best to you and you'll play fine. I used to swear by the ProV1x over the ProV1 (before I did testing, even though I liked the ProV1's feel better), but I've since swapped between the two depending on what I receive as gifts and I've shot all of my sub-70 rounds with a ProV1. Just go with whatever you like best, because there isn't really any functional difference between the two.

Note: This thread is 1944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!