IGNORED

My Swing (Vinchenzo561)

Vinchenzo561
Note: This thread is 2639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello TST members, would anyone be so kind to help me with a flipping at Impact problem? I also seem to raise my shoulders up as I am coming through the ball. My head stays pretty still but my shoulders raise up at impact any tips would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.  

Driver - covert 2.0 (9.5) Woods - covert 2.0 (3/5) Hybrids - covert 2.0 (3/4) Irons - vrs-x (5/SW) Putter - :odyssey: metal X (33")

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are you slicing the ball?

How is your weight shift?

Can you post a video?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

5 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Are you slicing the ball?

How is your weight shift?

Can you post a video?

Thanks for the reply. I slice from time to time flight is usually straight or sometime a slight draw. I do hit a bad pull from time to time as well. My weight transfer use to be a bit better when I would focus on it but it looks like that has stopped too. Here is a video from the other day. I was hitting my irons very well for me that day 7 iron around 175 yards. 

Driver - covert 2.0 (9.5) Woods - covert 2.0 (3/5) Hybrids - covert 2.0 (3/4) Irons - vrs-x (5/SW) Putter - :odyssey: metal X (33")

43 minutes ago, Vinchenzo561 said:

Thanks for the reply. I slice from time to time flight is usually straight or sometime a slight draw. I do hit a bad pull from time to time as well. My weight transfer use to be a bit better when I would focus on it but it looks like that has stopped too. Here is a video from the other day. I was hitting my irons very well for me that day 7 iron around 175 yards. 

You're not shifting your weight forward at all. You can see it easily by using the lamp post behind you as a reference point. Your hips should be well past that post by impact, if anything , yours are actually drifting back a bit.  I would get a small nerf ball (say the size of a baseball) or something similar, and cut it in half. Hit balls with it under your lead foot and squish the ball down hard on your downswing. That should help get your weight moving forward through impact and make it easier to achieve an inline impact (flat left wrist). 

You're also coming off the ball a bit towards the latter stages of your backswing, not sure if that's a priority or not, but worth noting as it could play a role in your weight shift issues. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

23 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

You're not shifting your weight forward at all. You can see it easily by using the lamp post behind you as a reference point. Your hips should be well past that post by impact, if anything , yours are actually drifting back a bit.  I would get a small nerf ball (say the size of a baseball) or something similar, and cut it in half. Hit balls with it under your lead foot and squish the ball down hard on your downswing. That should help get your weight moving forward through impact and make it easier to achieve an inline impact (flat left wrist). 

You're also coming off the ball a bit towards the latter stages of your backswing, not sure if that's a priority or not, but worth noting as it could play a role in your weight shift issues. 

Thanks for the tips I appreciate it. Yes looking back at my swing in the member swing forum I started to have a way better weight shift. I'm honestly not sure what happened. I probably just forgot to focus on it and lost it. Couple of questions about what you said. If I put a nerf ball under my foot and try to drive down into it will it cause my upper body to move more over the ball? Would that make me hit down on the top of the ball?Also with my backswing, I use to go a lot further back and felt I was over swinging could I still be doing that? I feel that if I cut down anymore I will have no power left in my swing? Thanks again. 

One thing at a time. Right now work on the weight shift. 

Watch how she stays centered, gets a weight shift to her right side, then on her downswing gets everything moving forward. Her form is about perfect.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Hi @Vinchenzo561,

Let me preface this by saying that I am in no way a teaching pro, so you may get better advice from someone at a later date. Your weight shift is certainly an issue, and needs to be fixed, but there could be an underlying issue that that I can't see but others (like Mike or Erik) may be able to pick up on.

Having said that, here is what I see:

A1.thumb.jpg.e3cb329baa698bac0aefa413e4dYour ball could be a little further forward, that may help you start thinking "weight forward". What club are you swinging in the video?

A3.thumb.jpg.42085e79f4224cb1049007517cfHere at A3 (left arm parallel to ground) you can see that you are starting to drift back off the ball. That just makes it twice as hard to get far enough forward at impact. AA4.thumb.jpg.3717e2bc82862af190d61ef029See how centred Justin Rose has remained even at A4 (top of the swing)? It will be much easier for him to get forward because he hasn't moved back.

Check this thread for more on the importance of staying centered>> 

AA7.thumb.jpg.7a682c99299967c56ee058d612Look how far forward his hips are while keeping his upper body back (centred). This is where I think you'd benefit from the nerf ball drill. Shift that weight aggressively without moving your head forward and it should be a lot easier to achieve in-line impact (flat left wrist ie: no flip!). It will also probably help you get your hips to start opening up a bit through impact, right now it looks like you're square to the ball, which is no beuno. 

AA8.thumb.jpg.b4aa29ca3f5c6e40a064317c80Again, even in the follow-through, your weight is way back from where it needs to be.

Another good thread that may be helpful >>>> 

You can also look around in the 5sk drills and find the ones that address Key 1 (steady head) and Key 2 (weight forward). Improving those two things should really help with Key 3 (in-line impact).

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Two thoughts I see. The hands/hinged position, begin to release a bit too soon. From this position, the next motion is the left should begins lifting to allow the club head path to continue through its arc. Also, feet are outside shoulder width. Maybe having them closer together would influence better weight transfer and torso rotation.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

@Club Rat @Ernest Jones Thank you guys very much for the help. I did not have much time to practice today around 30 min. I narrowed my stance to what feel's like in line with my shoulders and made sure to keep the ball ahead of center except for my SW. I was trying to keep my head as still as possible. I did not have anything nerf around so I really just focused on driving my hips and left side hard towards the target while trying to hold off on my release as long as possible. It felt way more powerful than before. I started with small swings and worked my way in to full swings. It felt great!! Had a few mishits stepped back and re-focused. I did notice a lower trajectory from what I could tell. I hit into a net about 7 feet away so it's a little harder to see the true flight, but from that close my 7 iron stayed kinda low is this normal? Anyways I will continue to practice thanks again guys I really appreciate the feedback and tips. I was also hitting a 7 iron in the video above. 

1 hour ago, Vinchenzo561 said:

@Club Rat @Ernest Jones Thank you guys very much for the help. I did not have much time to practice today around 30 min. I narrowed my stance to what feel's like in line with my shoulders and made sure to keep the ball ahead of center except for my SW. I was trying to keep my head as still as possible. I did not have anything nerf around so I really just focused on driving my hips and left side hard towards the target while trying to hold off on my release as long as possible. It felt way more powerful than before. I started with small swings and worked my way in to full swings. It felt great!! Had a few mishits stepped back and re-focused. I did notice a lower trajectory from what I could tell. I hit into a net about 7 feet away so it's a little harder to see the true flight, but from that close my 7 iron stayed kinda low is this normal? Anyways I will continue to practice thanks again guys I really appreciate the feedback and tips. I was also hitting a 7 iron in the video above. 

Good to hear. Make sure to shoot some video so you can see what is actually happening - "feel isn't real."

Yours in earnest, Jason.

12 hours ago, Vinchenzo561 said:

I recommend you move this over the the Member Swings section. Create a thread and post your progress videos in it. You should also post your practice swing and slow motion work too. It will really help.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 2/15/2016 at 6:17 PM, Vinchenzo561 said:

Hello TST members, would anyone be so kind to help me with a flipping at Impact problem? I also seem to raise my shoulders up as I am coming through the ball. My head stays pretty still but my shoulders raise up at impact any tips would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.  

You have a very good looking swing.  You have a lot of talent. 

However: 

There are only two ways you can extend the club early like that: either your hands are trying to force the club out straight, or you are decelerating your arms.  What I see in your video is  that you're hitting with your hands.  

I don't know as much as a lot of these other guys around here, but my belief is, if you start down with good lag angle, you should keep your hands and arms relaxed so you don't extend the club early.   The club is released at the bottom by a slight deceleration in your rotation, which transfers the energy to the clubhead.   Hands should stay relaxed all the way through. 

I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking the club is released by the hands forcing the club to straighten out.   I don't think that is correct.   I think the club is released by a slight deceleration in the downswing at the bottom.   At that point, the swing energy goes snapping out to the clubhead creating a whiplike action.   It looks like you have very strong hands and forearms, but in my humble opinion, you'll have a lot better swing if you don't use them. 

Edited by Marty2019

On 2/16/2016 at 8:44 PM, DrvFrShow said:

One thing at a time. Right now work on the weight shift. 

Watch how she stays centered, gets a weight shift to her right side, then on her downswing gets everything moving forward. Her form is about perfect.

She has a really nice swing.   What I see is that at the bottom of her downswing, her hip rotation literally stops, which sends the downswing energy snapping down into the clubhead.   Look how small her arms are.   She's not using her hands to snap the club out into impact; the energy snaps into the clubhead because her hands and arms are relaxed.  

This is a perfect illustration of what I was saying in my previous post.   I think the flaw in Vinchenzo's swing is that he's using his hands and forearms to muscle the ball.   Look at the way Vinchenzo's arms contract at the bottom of the swing.   They should be extending, loose, relaxed. 

Again, this is just my non-expert opinion.  

Edited by Marty2019

@boogielicious I have a member swing forum set up. I'm not sure if you remember helping me. Is there anyway I can merge this one with my existing swing forum?

@Marty2019 Thanks for the compliment! Now that you mention it my arms and hands look very active. I actually notice it now thanks for pointing that out. Also thank you for posting the video that has really made me understand the swing better. I tried everything he said in the video and hit majority of my shots very well with minimum effort. I made sure to keep accelerating through the ball as well as focusing on other tips others have mentioned. I was very impressed, unfortunately it was too dark by the time I got to practice so no video this time. I will post one tomorrow to show my progress. I really think that could have been a major problem for me that was leading to more problems. I appreciate your time and help. Thanks again. Swing loose 

9 hours ago, Vinchenzo561 said:

@boogielicious I have a member swing forum set up. I'm not sure if you remember helping me. Is there anyway I can merge this one with my existing swing forum?

@Marty2019 Thanks for the compliment! Now that you mention it my arms and hands look very active. I actually notice it now thanks for pointing that out. Also thank you for posting the video that has really made me understand the swing better. I tried everything he said in the video and hit majority of my shots very well with minimum effort. I made sure to keep accelerating through the ball as well as focusing on other tips others have mentioned. I was very impressed, unfortunately it was too dark by the time I got to practice so no video this time. I will post one tomorrow to show my progress. I really think that could have been a major problem for me that was leading to more problems. I appreciate your time and help. Thanks again. Swing loose 

merged.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@boogielicious, thanks for merging these. I had searched for the OP's swing thread but couldn't find it for some reason.  Interesting to note that everyone sees the same thing. We must be on the right track!

Recap for @Vinchenzo561

- move the ball forward in your stance. Having it back is a common bandaid for flippers but it just causes other problems. Moving it forward will encourage you to go after it. You can even do some drills with the ball teed up a foot OUTSIDE your stance. This will really get you moving that weight, just make sure you're not moving your head and upper body forward too.

- keep working on that weight shift

- stay more centred in the backswing, this will make it easier. The farther back your weight moves in the BS the farther forward you need to move it in the DS, so try to keep it centred  

Even in the video where you show an improved weight shift, it's not nearly enough. Try pretending you have a foot switch under your lead foot that is very hard to push down, you need it to go all the way down to click it on. From the top of the swing, to start down push down HARD on that imaginary foot switch to get it to click. Keep filming and experimenting with feels until you get those hips pushing forward. Don't worry about overdoing it, you've got a ways to go and it's doubtful that you can overdo it at this point. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

@boogielicious Thanks for the merge!

Here is a update video on my swing. please let me know what you see. The good and bad.

7 iron slomo

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Vinchenzo561 said:

@boogielicious Thanks for the merge!

Here is a update video on my swing. please let me know what you see. The good and bad.

Not much "bad" to say here. Keep working on this and make it something you can do without giving it a lot of thought.

01.thumb.jpg.efc128afb97edf717999b08aeef02.thumb.jpg.913f7ffbb9cb5d5d6afe859dd66

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!