Sign in to follow this  
freshmanUTA

Have you met someone who uses 7 &/or 9 woods?

Note: This thread is 1413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

32 posts / 2776 viewsLast Reply

I've tried a 7 wood a couple times. I use a 21 degree hybrid, which I'd have to take out of the bag to put a 7 wood back in. 7 wood was ok, but hybrid is more consistent and versatile to me. All a matter of personal preference I guess. 

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

I debated a 7-wood a few years ago when I didn't like my hybrid or woods.  A friend of mine had an old one that I borrowed for a round or two.  Instead I went with improving my swing, and I just happen to have a hybrid now, so I guess I never revisited it.  I'm probably replacing my 3-hybrid (and getting a 4-hybrid) before I change woods, so the concept of a 7-wood has to wait a few years for me.

Your course has par two holes? ;-)  

Either way, sounds like the guy in your league did what is needed:  got a club for a desired and useful distance and uses it effectively. 

Haha!  Yeah, I guess my wording actually did say 2-par, THREE holes!  I should have just said the guy hits the 9-wood on the shorter 2 holes.  Pretty sure his 9-wood is a pretty old-school club.  Says he's had it in his bag a long time and it's his best option on the shorter par-3 holes.  Looking back over a number of seasons, he hits those two greens regularly with that club.

dave  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Probably top 1-2% for his age in distance. (and handicap)

Not a good 230.

About 25 foot off of the ground. It bounces about 10 times and rolls the last 30 yards.

I still hope I can play at that age.

Jack

34 minutes ago, tristanhilton85 said:

Callaway actually offers a 9 wood in their Great Big Bertha model. 

I actually bought one with a KK Silver TINI shaft...

My alternate bag carries D,4,5,7  Ben Hogan Speed Slots along with the set of Hogan Edge irons. I sometimes use them for the heck of it, nostalgia, whatever....  I cannot say I recommend it though.  My gaming set is a bit more modern, GI irons, and two hybrids as I need all the help I can get.

7, 9 and 11 W are all useful clubs as you find it harder to hit the long irons.  Very useful for getting a ball up in the air, out of rough and very useful for older golfers.  Got a couple of older golfers on my home course who hit the 7 to 11 W.  Very practical clubs

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Sadly, yes.  I say sadly because he beats me like a drum with them!

Calling @MacDutch 

Thanks David,

I played a 7 wood (21 degrees) and for fun (because friends made jokes about it) bought a 9 wood (24 degrees). Turned out to be even better and more consistent then the 7 wood. Its my to go club of the tee and of the fairway (or even a fairway bunker) for shots from 160-185 yards. Just gripping it down to hit it shorter. I use this club instead of a 4 iron. Off course you could also take a hybrid, it all depends on what suits you better. 

Edited by MacDutch

I have a Titleist 910 7 wood in my bag at the moment so easy to get airborne and consistently straight, use it for my second shot on par 5 or a really long par 3 goes about 210-220 won't leave my bag ever I can't hit hybrids for some reason.

Give me a 150 yd par three and my 9 wood comes out of my bag. My ball takes loft and lands on the green like a butterfly with sore feet

Note: This thread is 1413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!