IGNORED

Nicest and Rudest

Davie81
Note: This thread is 1858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure if this topic will be allowed so apologies in advance if it breaches any rules. Who are the nicest and rudest pros you have met? For me, I've only met a couple of rude ones but the nicest by far are Dustin Johnson, Eddie Pepperell and Padraig Harrington.

I have met Tommy Watson a few times. He's a pretty nice guy. Rudest would have to be Sabbatini from some of the stuff I have seen him do at some tournaments. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Patch said:

I have met Tommy Watson a few times. He's a pretty nice guy. Rudest would have to be Sabbatini from some of the stuff I have seen him do at some tournaments. 

For me the rudest by far has been Montgomery.  So pernickety about things and moans at the slightest thing. Not met Bubba but from what I seen at the last Ryder Cup when I was there, his caddie has a tough time!

One of nicest from the past was Lee Trevino... Everyone seemed to want to follow the Happy Mex. Today, Jordan Speith appears to be really nice person and very mature for his age.

Dave

I've never seen or met a rude pro, although I've heard some stories second-hand that I won't repeat.  The nicest guy that I've met was Jeff Maggert.  I worked as a marshal at the 1997 US Open at Congressional, and for one of the practice rounds my buddy and I was assigned to essentially shadow his group, walking just inside the ropes with them.  We didn't have any contact during the round, but as they were leaving 18, he made a point of coming to my friend and I and telling us that he appreciates us coming out and volunteering.  Volunteers don't get a lot of direct thank-yous from the pros, Jeff made us feel just a little special that day.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

By far the worst was Tom Weiskopf with Lanny Wadkins a close second.  I have a friend whose father was a neighbor of Ken Venturi.  Said he was a complete ass.  I was on a hole where Mac O'Grady flew a par 3 into the water.  I thought he was going to castrate his caddie on the spot.  He flew into the most embarrassing rage I've ever seen.  No F-bombs though.

My favorite I've met was Gary Player.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I volunteer for our local LPGA tournament every year, and the ladies are for the most part very accommodating in interacting with the gallery and volunteers. There are a few who are a little stand offish, but I have never seen or heard of outright rudeness at our event.

After finishing one of my shifts, I went over to a nearby tee to watch some more golf, and Sandra Gal was waiting to tee off, and turned as I walked up and very casually said, "Hello". I tried to remain casual as well and not act like a gushing school girl and said, 'Hi Sandra, how are you doing?'. She said she was playing well, and I wished her a good round, and she said thanks, and she stepped up and crushed her drive. My heart was fluttering a little after that. 

• Upvote 1

dak4n6

Best pro I met was on the South African tour in the late 90's.  Hugo Bossert (they called him Bossi) at the Swaziland Open.  Walked and talked with him for like 5 or 6 holes and he was so nice and talked to me, my dad and my brother and had no issues telling us about his game and life in general

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I've had a couple of opportunities to marshall some events, but never did.  Wish I would have now.  My experience comes from just attending events.

I remember Jan Stephenson playing in the JCPenney Classic with Fred Couples.  She walked right by us and smiled.  I think she's definitely a people person.  Was surprised how wrinkled she was.

I remember Ed Fiori pushing a drive right over the heads of the crowd.  It missed someone's head by just inches.  I think it rattled him a little.  Those crowds line the path of the ball.  I'm surprised that more of that doesn't happen.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I was in the gallery and  walked from a green to another tee with Seve once. He was very personable.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

5 minutes ago, dbuck said:

I was in the gallery and  walked from a green to another tee with Seve once. He was very personable.

I've heard Seve was the nicest guy while wanting to step on your throat during competition. I miss him.

dak4n6

My very first US Open at Baltusrol with my father during 1980. We were standing on the right side of the fairway along the ropes about 250 from the tee.. Someone drove into a ditch a few feet from us. I was excited to see a player so close. The player walked up wth his caddy, looked at his lie in the ditch and yelled "JESUS F****** Christ". My introduction to professional golf. I think i was in my early 20's. Nichlaus won that year though... Wish i remembered who the player was..

During a practice round at the US Open, we walked the back nine with Paul Azinger.  He was very nice,

A year prior we watched a woman ask Bernhard Langer if he would pose with her friends for a photo.  He smiled and agreed.  The lady taking the photo had camera trouble,  Bernhard just stood there and chatted with the ladies.  Finally, the photographer was set again, Bernhard smiled, posed with the ladies and the photo was taken.  I suspect a few pros might have moved on and I thought it was classy of Bernhard to just hang out until the photo could be taken.

Like @DaveP043 , I have also heard stories about pros being less than gracious but I don't want to pile on without direct knowledge.

Brian Kuehn

Worst - Gary McCord, best Dave Eichelberger and his caddy who I wish  could remember his name.  I was a walking scorer at the 2002 US Senior Open at Caves Valley, McCord was probably the biggest dick I've ever been around.  Eichelberger made me feel like I was part of his family for the 18 hole round.   

Another guy who wasn't nice was Chrtis Demarco, I followed him once during a practice round for a few holes at the 2003 US Open, he definitely was not nice to the spectators during the round.  I thought during the practice round the pros would be a little more jovial and interact with the crowd, but he looked like he had a stick stuck up his a** for the holes that i watched.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 7:42 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

During a practice round at the US Open, we walked the back nine with Paul Azinger.  He was very nice,

A year prior we watched a woman ask Bernhard Langer if he would pose with her friends for a photo.  He smiled and agreed.  The lady taking the photo had camera trouble,  Bernhard just stood there and chatted with the ladies.  Finally, the photographer was set again, Bernhard smiled, posed with the ladies and the photo was taken.  I suspect a few pros might have moved on and I thought it was classy of Bernhard to just hang out until the photo could be taken.

Like @DaveP043 , I have also heard stories about pros being less than gracious but I don't want to pile on without direct knowledge.

Come on!  Give them up!

I was watching a tourney with my brother-in-law and his friend.  We were in bleachers right behind the green.  Literally 5 feet off the putting surface.  I was sitting in the middle.  In one foursome, Sandy Lyle air mails the green and takes out my brother-in-law.  The next group, Jack Nicklaus takes our the friend.  Both were really nice.  Sandy Lyle has a very soft voice and was very apologetic.  Jack was funny.  I picked up his ball from the stands and said, "Is this your X-OUT?".  He laughed and saw the coke on the ball and said, "Who do I owe a Coke to?".

Sandy Lyle is a little guy,  Jack's not very big either.  They look bigger on TV somehow.

Another incident at that same par 3.  A guy was sitting a few feet off to one side of the green.  He was sitting in a beach chair.  One of those chairs with the real short legs that you sit right in the surf with your butt almost on the ground  You're in a pretty good reclining position.  Try to visualize.  :-)  He had a cigar in his mouth and his head buried in a newspaper.  A golfer hits a ball right through the paper and hits his gut.  He moans and rolls off the chair on to the green.  We were dying!  The ball finishes within 10 feet of the pin.  The golfer (I forget his name) says in a half joking voice, "Hey Thanks".  He did give him the ball.  I think he made the putt.  Without the gut assist, the ball probably would have ended up in a pond.

I still smile thinking of that one.

13 hours ago, vangator said:

Come on!  Give them up!

I'll tell the story, but I won't identify the player or the tournament.  I had dinner with the local guy who was in overall charge of the on-course volunteers.  He said that this player (I'll call him Joe to save typing) invited about 10 friends to one of the nicest local restaurants.  They had a lovely dinner, with wine and drinks, no expense spared.  At the end of the meal, Joe was presented with the check.  He looked at the owner, and said "You expect me to PAY for this?" and proceed to stiff both the restaurant and the server.  As it was told to me, Joe thought that his mere presence was ample reward for the meals and drinks provided.  Now, the teller of this tale is very believable, but I don't know how many steps removed he was from an actual witness (he may have seen it himself, I don't know), but I don't think its fair to accuse Joe based on what is by now at least third-hand information.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 3 years later...

Old thread I know...Every time I went to a golf tourney back in the day I would search out and follow Fred Couples. circa 1990s. Mostly at the Byron Nelson but a few other places too. 

Every time I saw him his face just looked pissed off. He wanted nothing to do with the galleries or Pro-Am partners if it was a Wed. ..He just looked plain unhappy to be playing. He would look around while waiting to hit like he was in the twilight zone. 

I guess all those drunk patrons yelling "Freddie, Freddie" got to him.

Note: This thread is 1858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!