IGNORED

My Swing (freshmanUTA)

freshmanUTA
Note: This thread is 1226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There is some work to do on your backswing, but it is not related to your first picture. Your major issue in my opinion is your right arm gets too far behind you. JB is someone who really does a nice job moving that right arm in front of his body. You can see yours is too far behind your body. From there to get to the ball you need to early extend and throw the clubhead at the ball. 

56df55c1953bd_ScreenShot2016-03-08at2.42

I recommend you swing with a small ball between your arms. You will drop the ball if you get into the picture I showed before. The ball will also help you stop your backswing in the correct position. I have this one from Tour Striker. But you can buy one at many places

56df56d3eb4aa_ScreenShot2016-03-08at2.47

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

it doesn't look like there's a significant over the top move, but I guess I come over the top.

Yeah you kind of have to come over the top because your backswing is so flat. The butt of your club lines up well outside the ball and that line needs to steepen (aka coming over the top so the club lines up with the ball at impact.

frshuta_zpssr6umlfq.png

If you look at your top pros you see the opposite pattern. The club points inside the ball and move toward as they shallow out through impact.

rory_zpsdu1rnhid.png
tigerwoodsswingplane.jpg

You should find yourself a full length mirror and place it behind you while your practice getting your backswing on plane. An alignment stick inserted into the ground at the proper angle will also help you get some good visual feedback.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• 1 month later...

So I went to the range working on swing plane and path. I had a drill to help get my swing path in to out as recently I've been reverting to my +0.2 swing path which is technically "out to in" but not drastically. This is the 5th time in 2 weeks I've gone to work on full swings, most of my practice has been on not hitting my chip shots fat anymore.

I had an amazing range session as I'm finally starting to get settled into not having to think about the movements I want to make to get my swing "in to out" and I was actually drawing the ball today instead of fading it like usual! 

Im going again tomorrow morning so I hope this trend continues.

My practice plan as of now is:

30 Minutes of putting: 5 min from 3 feet to warm up, 15 minutes from 6-9 feet, then 10 minutes from 12+ feet.

1 Hour of different shots from various lies, all 100 yards and in 3 shots from each place I want to make a recovery from. Try to get the first to be the closest.(also practicing on not hitting fat or blading my wedges)

then a half hour of full swing practice with my woods and longer irons, working  on an in to out path.

• 3 weeks later...

Well looking at my swing: 

I think I have completely reverted to before. I need to work on sh allowing my swing, does anyone have drills I can do away from the course to help shallow my driver swing?

Shot 90 on Disney Lake Buena Vista. I'm not playing like I should.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

I think I have completely reverted to before. I need to work on sh allowing my swing, does anyone have drills I can do away from the course to help shallow my driver swing?

Shot 90 on Disney Lake Buena Vista. I'm not playing like I should.

Fix the reason why it's steep, don't just try to make it shallower.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On May 3, 2016 at 11:48 PM, iacas said:

Fix the reason why it's steep, don't just try to make it shallower.

Is this more of a Coming too inside issue, like before? I've been working on taking it back more on plane by throwing an alignment rod a couple inches in front of my feet and trying to get my arm to be along that line at parallel on the backswing. Is this what I need to target?

I also have a behind the back swing video I can upload that so you can see my weight transfer and everything, but I do not have a face on video.

@iacas I took about 200 Swings in the mirror working on swing plane, I think this looks like a step in a good direction , but I am no expert. 

• 1 month later...

So I went all the way back to the beginning of what I've been working on since I joined TST and I noticed that when I do the swaying motion in my backswing, my swing is more on plane, but when I take a swing working on good torso and hip rotation my left arm seems to almost lock to my chest and come way too far inside. 

I made this video that shows the problem I have.

Your left arm needs to lift and rotate in conjunction with your shoulder turn.

Take a look at this video from Monte Scheinblum, who is an instructor I really like. Specifically around the 2:30 mark, but I think the video itself may help you to get a feel. 

• Upvote 1

Andrew M.

@amoline This is definitely the issue I was having, thanks so much.

Its now been 3 days of going to the range to practice better rotation, and wow. I love the way it feels, not how it looks or how on plane I am, etc. How it feels. I feel like I can swing faster with less effort just by using this simple arm rotation. 

I played a round today and shot an 89. I decided to not worry about score and work on my swing even while playing. I took three long, slow practice swings working on hitting positions, and then hit. The results weren't what I'd like, but compared to my old misses... 

Hope to spend an additional 3-4 hours practicing before the end of the holiday weekend.

That's great to hear! Keep us updated with writing and some videos to show us how you improve. 

The less effort you feel like you're producing is a good indicator to show you're  making actual progress. Takes a lot of time to make actual change so keep at it. 

Glad to help! Like I say keep us all updated. 

Andrew M.

Driver swing today. I still feel like I'm losing way more distance than I should, I kid you not, this drive carried 195 on the simulator. I also got my swing speed measured today and it was 110, so I lost 20 mph on my driver but my 6 iron is still 95mph so no loss there...

I'm not going to attempt to diagnose my own swing flaws, I get paid at the end of the month and I'm heading straight to evolvr to buy some lessons, but until then there's only so much I can do.

Left arm is looking good.

A little harder to tell without the face on view, but you are definitely overswinging -- you can see the clubhead come out of the other side of your torso on your backswing. Sadly we are not all John Daly and for the rest of us mere mortals this is going to destroy your consistent contact and in all likelihood make your swing slower. An earlier wrist set can help with overswing issues. You look like you have a pretty late set. Your swing should stop when you have turned 90 degrees to your spine. Just from the swing you posted I'm going to guess those were huge fades/banana slices.

You are definitely leading with the handle of the club -- not what you should do. 

If you enjoyed the last video I posted, here are a couple more from the same instructor (my instructor, too, actually -- he really is fantastic) that both have similar results/ideas, so you just have to find the feel that works for you. I like both of these drills for the feels they give.

Good luck, and awesome progress already! Let us know how it goes.

Andrew

• Upvote 1

Andrew M.

5 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

I'm not going to attempt to diagnose my own swing flaws, I get paid at the end of the month and I'm heading straight to evolvr to buy some lessons, but until then there's only so much I can do.

Good call on both of the bold things!

While we new golfers can research and become informed, I think for the first couple years of learning about your swing, you are best off finding a good instructor and understanding their methodology.

I use Evolvr too, and if you're like me, you'll appreciate their methodology. At the top of this page, you'll see links in the header to Pages... Instructional Content. That'll give you a leg up on how they teach. Tons of good stuff.

They'll start with the basics of a steady head, shifting your weight forward, and having an "in-line impact" position, but I'll also give you this heads up: they'll get your "diagonal sweetspot path moving more like the green line below. Your club is now traveling the orange path (roughly. you can't see the blurred club because the orange line is covering it):

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 10.49.28 PM.jpg

I may be off on the exact location of your future green line, but they'll be teaching you how to get your body to do things that promote this. Don't necessarily try to do it yourself, as we students can make a mess of it ourselves. But I do know enough from these threads that this will be the general direction you'll head, so you might as well get your head around where you might be going.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

First update after a few days of practicing what my evolvr coach told me to work on. This is from day 3 of hitting 50 balls working on my swing. I was told to take sloooow swings- less than 50% speed, to ingrain the feel of inside out, which i used to do so no big deal, but do 3 slow swings followed by one fast/quick tempo swing, not necessarily full power, but fast enough to the point where i don't make a swing mistake, but i hit the ball more than 100 yards. He want's me to really feel the clubhead coming from the inside-out, so my practice swings feel like I'm dropping the clubhead behind me while my hands still move towards the ball.

Down the Line:

Face On:

I like the progress made already.

Oh and, yes, I'm wearing sandals.

Edited by freshmanUTA
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

I dont know. I thought I was making really good progress. I'm trying so hard to shallow the club but nothing seems to be working. I've tried so many things. I just can't do it. 

Anyone know any drills to help shallow, because right now I'm just coming back down and I'm still swinging to the left.

I don't know what to do. I guess this is better than before but I can't figure out how to shallow the club. I just sent in this video to evolvr to use a lesson asking for help but I thought I would try here as well.

And, by the looks of it, I started flipping, which is never a problem I've had. Wonderful.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 4.22.33 PM.png

Edited by freshmanUTA
Add screenshot

• Administrator
4 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

I dont know. I thought I was making really good progress. I'm trying so hard to shallow the club but nothing seems to be working. I've tried so many things. I just can't do it at full speed.

FTFY.

I'm pretty sure that you can do it at 1 MPH. But not at 100. The trick is in finding the speed at which you can do it most of the time, and working there, and slowly raising that number.

Change the picture. Stop swinging full speed and expecting any meaningful change.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!