IGNORED

Tee Claw Member Review Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Product Name: Tee Claw
Product Type: Practice Aid
Product Website/URL: http://teeclaw.com/
Cost: $14.95
Reviewers: @georgep, @dkolo, @boogielicious, @newtogolf, @saevel25

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My Tee Claw arrived on Saturday. 

Here is the packaging. Simple in design. IMG_0282.JPG.675fb5b2ae9556115f75cf06aa5

IMG_0284.JPG.639157c419fff5c0ea36f80b3c8

Here are the contents of the package.
3-Tee Claw's
5-Elastic Cords
3-Tee's of various length
No actual written instructions unless you scan the QR Code on the back of the box. 

IMG_0283.JPG.08cbc50eea9c8bec295d49a649d

It was pretty simple to figure out how to attach the elastic cord to the Tee Claw. 

IMG_0285.JPG.a103fdb9bd887fbd6267b8882a9

IMG_0286.JPG.c9dcb8f1f336c8ee8d33fdba681

One of their tees fit snuggly into the Tee Claw. In the image above where you see underneath the Tee Claw. If you push down the point of the tee will press up on the center of the rubber part of the Tee Claw. I can see if someone pushed hard enough they would break the rubber on the bottom of the Tee Claw. Just something to be aware of when using the Tee Claw. No need to really push down on the actual tee that hard. 

IMG_0288.JPG.545bc379757d8894ca77875c9c8

I tested out one of my plastic tees. Because the plastic tees are less wide near the tip of the tee they don't fit as snuggly. The Tee Claw has a deep enough hole to support the tee. It's just not as secure as when using the wood tees they provide. 
IMG_0289.JPG.305ddcbc23d57a01dd63db4bae0

I suspect the tee will sit higher than normal since you are not actually putting the tee into the ground. So I'd probably recommend using a shorter tee. That is just a guess right now. More will come when I try this out at the range. 

The quality of the Tee Claw looks pretty good. The hard plastic is pretty strong and doesn't bend or break when I put some force on the claws that hold into the mat. I am interested in seeing how well it holds up on iron strokes. On the back of the box it shows you can just place a ball on the Tee Claw with no tee. That might be the ultimate durability test for this product. 

Looking forward to trying these out. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

On the back of the box it shows you can just place a ball on the Tee Claw with no tee. That might be the ultimate durability test for this product. 

Yikes! I wouldn't try that.

I see the Tee Claw as being good for two things:

• Making "lines" you can stand on, hit between (i.e. you could angle a "path" well out to the right to visually encourage a path out to the right), etc.
  • Hitting hybrids, metal woods, drivers, etc. off tees on a mat.

I don't know how much I'd want to use them for much more.

Good first impressions post @saevel25.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I got mine yesterday and was pleased that it was the "Masters" colors. They have a bunch of different colors on their website including mixed sets.

http://teeclaw.com/shop/

IMG_0526.thumb.jpg.4aefb73d1b6b442341be9

The Tee Claw came with three claws, four lanyards and three tees.  The lanyards hook under the claw.IMG_0524.thumb.jpg.e908f2f569ec763eff7b3

My first impression was positive. You get to fine tune your own tee height. One issue I have with rubber tees is they are never the right height. If it is too tall, I tend to get under the ball with the driver and sky the shot. Too low, and the ball flight gets affected.

I put the Tee Claw on a mat I have at home and used it to get my tee height. Then I cut a couple of tees down to the right height for the range. The other tees, I scored so I could break them easily at the range or use them in grass when the snow melt.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I thought of, but haven't tried yet, is using a second claw as an anchor. At the indoor range I go to, the mat is very large, so it may be hard to anchor the cord with a tee as they show in the Tee Claw videos. You can use a second claw as the anchor point. I will try to get a picture of that when I go to the range today.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The lanyard just holds it so the Tee Claw doesn't fly off, right? I assume it won't matter if you string it up perpendicular to your target line as opposed to parallel to it?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

One thing I thought of, but haven't tried yet, is using a second claw as an anchor. At the indoor range I go to, the mat is very large, so it may be hard to anchor the cord with a tee as they show in the Tee Claw videos. You can use a second claw as the anchor point. I will try to get a picture of that when I go to the range today.

That's exactly what I had to do on Friday and it worked.  I also experimented with securing the Tee Claw to my shoes.

Joe Paradiso

14 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I also experimented with securing the Tee Claw to my shoes.

Why?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

1 minute ago, Ernest Jones said:

Why?

Because the cord wasn't long enough to reach the edge of the mats on the indoor simulator I was testing them on.  

Joe Paradiso

Just now, newtogolf said:

Because the cord wasn't long enough to reach the edge of the mats on the indoor simulator I was testing them on.  

Oh, so you mean to keep the Tee Claw from flying away, not to establish a line, right? 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

2 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Oh, so you mean to keep the Tee Claw from flying away, not to establish a line, right? 

Yes, to keep it from flying away.  In the simulator, it flying away wouldn't be much of a problem but on a regular range it would be.  

Joe Paradiso

I just wanted to pop in and give my first impressions of the Tee Claw. 

10 hours ago, billchao said:

The lanyard just holds it so the Tee Claw doesn't fly off, right? I assume it won't matter if you string it up perpendicular to your target line as opposed to parallel to it?

Right, Bill. The lanyard loop goes on the bottom of the peg underneath the tee and is there to hang onto the thing for dear life if it manages to fly away. Getting the loop onto the peg isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, so while I haven't hit it with a 100 mph (*cough* 95 mph *cough*) driver yet, I don't imagine it will come off, especially since it's basically a fail-safe for the claw part of the Tee Claw. Since the other reviewers have covered the most important views, I'll add an underside shot so you can see better what I mean:

(cue Wayne's World "EXTREME CLOSEUP" sound drop)

56ca63229b697_TeeClaw.thumb.jpg.0834d7d0

56ca6442cfa6b_TeeClaw2.thumb.jpg.62f1e57

I tried out the Tee Claw by twisting it into my carpet and the device gets in there really well; almost too well. I was using it for some putting alignment since I finally had some time to pick up golf clubs today and it does not want to give up the grip on the fibers at all. It takes some finagling to get out. I care more about my carpet than I do a golf mat, so I didn't just pull it out by force, but I'm curious to see how easily the little serrated teeth come out from a mat when I'm done at the range. Regardless, I don't see this thing flying away at all: if you hit it hard enough to rip the claw out of the ground and it still has enough force to pull the peg off of the tight lanyard loop, my suspicion is that you've hit it hard enough to break it and weren't using it correctly anyway.

So my first impression is that I'm surprised by how well built the device is for something so small. I think it's going to be very useful. One question I have about the product is that I wonder why the plug on the bottom is sealed flat as opposed to having a hole in it for the tee to ass through? Is that for consistency of tee height and to encourage you to leave the tee in shallow so it will pop out instead of breaking inside the device? I suspect the second one. They include three tees of varying lengths to get you started, but you'll have to mess about with tee lengths more than I would have hoped (not that you can get a tee into a mat too far anyway, and you can always poke a hole in the plug, which is a somewhat flexible rubber or silicone by the looks of it. In any event, I'm very excited to take this out on the range in the next few days now that the snow is gone and the weather is looking up!

10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I've used the second claw as an anchor for some putting drills so far, and I think that's a great way to go. I would use a tee only if I had to get the lanyard farther under the mat to create tension for a drill or something, and didn't want to scratch up the other claw.

9 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Yes, to keep it from flying away.  In the simulator, it flying away wouldn't be much of a problem but on a regular range it would be.  

If you had mesh shoes, you could screw the Tee Claw on there and pretend you have one of the fancy BOA fastening systems on your golf spikes!

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

1 hour ago, dkolo said:

Right, Bill. The lanyard loop goes on the bottom of the peg underneath the tee and is there to hang onto the thing for dear life if it manages to fly away.

That's what thought, thanks for the response. I've been looking for something I can use at home so I can practice with my driver in my net and I think this fits the bill pretty well.

1 hour ago, dkolo said:

I wonder why the plug on the bottom is sealed flat as opposed to having a hole in it for the tee to ass through? Is that for consistency of tee height and to encourage you to leave the tee in shallow so it will pop out instead of breaking inside the device? I suspect the second one.

I'm assuming you meant "pass" through? :-P

But I agree, I would think it's to keep the tees from breaking. I've used those rubber tees that you can stick a real tee into and tees break off inside them all the time. I guess keeping the insertion point shallow will cause you to launch the tee more than breaking it, but then losing a bunch of tees down the range could be a pain in the ass, too.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

28 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's what thought, thanks for the response. I've been looking for something I can use at home so I can practice with my driver in my net and I think this fits the bill pretty well.

But I agree, I would think it's to keep the tees from breaking. I've used those rubber tees that you can stick a real tee into and tees break off inside them all the time. I guess keeping the insertion point shallow will cause you to launch the tee more than breaking it, but then losing a bunch of tees down the range could be a pain in the ass, too.

Oh heavens, haha. That's a typo for the ages.  

It occurs to me, and this is something I'll try once I take it to the range, that if the tees do wind up flying down range and that becomes a problem, it might be a good idea to put the tee in a loop from a second Tee Claw next to it to hang on to the tee itself. But that's getting ahead of myself. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• Administrator
9 hours ago, dkolo said:

Oh heavens, haha. That's a typo for the ages.  

It occurs to me, and this is something I'll try once I take it to the range, that if the tees do wind up flying down range and that becomes a problem, it might be a good idea to put the tee in a loop from a second Tee Claw next to it to hang on to the tee itself. But that's getting ahead of myself. 

Yes that's what it's for - why it's sealed. you don't want to stick the tee into the mat. It could not only break the tee but break the Tee Claw, too.

Also, I think most of your tees will flick up or even back slightly. I don't know how often they'll travel too far down the range that you can't bend over and pick them up. Most tees when I play golf go to the right (perpendicular to target line), up, or back slightly.

On 2/7/2016 at 1:59 PM, boogielicious said:

I got mine yesterday and was pleased that it was the "Masters" colors. They have a bunch of different colors on their website including mixed sets.

http://teeclaw.com/shop/

IMG_0526.thumb.jpg.4aefb73d1b6b442341be9

The Tee Claw came with three claws, four lanyards and three tees.  The lanyards hook under the claw.IMG_0524.thumb.jpg.e908f2f569ec763eff7b3

My first impression was positive. You get to fine tune your own tee height. One issue I have with rubber tees is they are never the right height. If it is too tall, I tend to get under the ball with the driver and sky the shot. Too low, and the ball flight gets affected.

I put the Tee Claw on a mat I have at home and used it to get my tee height. Then I cut a couple of tees down to the right height for the range. The other tees, I scored so I could break them easily at the range or use them in grass when the snow melt.

Hi, my name is John.  I'm the CEO and Co-Founder of Tee Claw.  Love your review.  I want to answer some of the questions you brought up.  Great questions. I use tees I pick up at the range or find on the course when I'm practicing.  We package with 3 tees just to show different heights.  

On 2/7/2016 at 0:47 PM, saevel25 said:

My Tee Claw arrived on Saturday. 

Here is the packaging. Simple in design. IMG_0282.JPG.675fb5b2ae9556115f75cf06aa5

IMG_0284.JPG.639157c419fff5c0ea36f80b3c8

Here are the contents of the package.
3-Tee Claw's
5-Elastic Cords
3-Tee's of various length
No actual written instructions unless you scan the QR Code on the back of the box. 

IMG_0283.JPG.08cbc50eea9c8bec295d49a649d

It was pretty simple to figure out how to attach the elastic cord to the Tee Claw. 

IMG_0285.JPG.a103fdb9bd887fbd6267b8882a9

IMG_0286.JPG.c9dcb8f1f336c8ee8d33fdba681

One of their tees fit snuggly into the Tee Claw. In the image above where you see underneath the Tee Claw. If you push down the point of the tee will press up on the center of the rubber part of the Tee Claw. I can see if someone pushed hard enough they would break the rubber on the bottom of the Tee Claw. Just something to be aware of when using the Tee Claw. No need to really push down on the actual tee that hard. 

IMG_0288.JPG.545bc379757d8894ca77875c9c8

I tested out one of my plastic tees. Because the plastic tees are less wide near the tip of the tee they don't fit as snuggly. The Tee Claw has a deep enough hole to support the tee. It's just not as secure as when using the wood tees they provide. 
IMG_0289.JPG.305ddcbc23d57a01dd63db4bae0

I suspect the tee will sit higher than normal since you are not actually putting the tee into the ground. So I'd probably recommend using a shorter tee. That is just a guess right now. More will come when I try this out at the range. 

The quality of the Tee Claw looks pretty good. The hard plastic is pretty strong and doesn't bend or break when I put some force on the claws that hold into the mat. I am interested in seeing how well it holds up on iron strokes. On the back of the box it shows you can just place a ball on the Tee Claw with no tee. That might be the ultimate durability test for this product. 

Looking forward to trying these out. 

The top of the Tee Claw was designed to be the same size as a real tee.  We did a lot of testing with hitting the golf ball off the top of the Tee Claw without a tee. If you are someone who strikes a ball good then you can hit the ball cleanly off the Tee Claw.  Those like myself, would probably break the Tee Claw.  It is made of a durable plastic but not indestructible.  If you hit anything with a hard metal object with the right force it will no doubt break.  I wouldn't recommend hitting directly off the top of the tee claw with irons. I have hit my hybrids and woods with short Tees.  

On 2/21/2016 at 7:00 AM, boogielicious said:

There a few ways to best anchor the Tee Claw.  The lanyard was initially made to keep the Tee Claw from flying down range if you miss hit the Tee Claw and it becomes dislodged from the mat. The second is how it can be used as an alignment and visual aid.  Check out our Facebook Page and Instagram page for some great videos and photos.  https://www.facebook.com/teeclawllc/photos_stream

On 2/21/2016 at 7:37 AM, billchao said:

See my response above regarding this question.  What is good about the Tee Claw is that you can use it anyway you want and set up anyway you want.  https://www.facebook.com/teeclawllc/photos_stream 

On 2/21/2016 at 8:24 AM, newtogolf said:

That's exactly what I had to do on Friday and it worked.  I also experimented with securing the Tee Claw to my shoes.

Here are some photos for you to check out.  https://www.facebook.com/teeclawllc/photos_stream

On 2/22/2016 at 7:04 PM, billchao said:

This is a great question as to why we sealed off the bottom rubber piece where the lanyard attaches.  We launched in January 2015.  When we launched and for months leading up to the launch we did a lot of testing with the Tee Claw.  What we found was very important.  When we would push a tee pass the closed rubber end, we learned a couple of things. First, if you push to far through the Tee Claw will not attach properly to some of the mats.

The second and most important thing we found was when we push the tee through the rubber end, it had a tendency to cause the Tee Claws to break one of the claws fairly easily.  Basic science showed us that when all the force from the club is coming forward either the tee would break or the tee claw leg.  You have to let the Tee do what it is supposed to.  When you hit off of grass and a tee flies out it is ok.  With the Tee Claw is you want a shorter length Tee, us a smaller tee.  Do not push through the bottom rubber piece.  Once we found this out and started showing people we had a great response.  

Some great videos on our Facebook.  

On 2/21/2016 at 8:44 AM, newtogolf said:

Tees will fly out.  If you were hitting on the grass portion at the range and the tee flew out what would you do.  Put in another tee.  No difference hitting off a mat at the range or grass.  Here is a bag of tees I collected at the range and on the course that I use just for practicing.  I don't care if these tees break or go down range.  I can also break tees to get the height I want.  They were free which is great.  

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!