IGNORED

Quitting a round early - Why Would You Quit?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most Frequent Reason You Cut a Round Short?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Other than severe weather (lightning, tornado) or the sun has been down long enough so one can not see the ball, what is the one most common reason you cut a round short?

• Important meeting/event
    • Scoring Poorly
    • Round is Too Slow
    • Injury
    • Anger/Disappointment/Frustration
    • Course is in Poor Shape/Uninteresting
    • Tired/Fatigue
    • Cart Breaks Down or Other Equipment Issue
    • Something Else - Please Describe

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, vangator said:

In over 40 years, I've never quit a round early.  I have been rained out.  And I have stopped due to darkness.  I'm there to play.  If it's too slow, I go ball hawking.

I have to correct the rain out.  I quit only because of lightning.  I've played in driving monsoons.  I've got rain gloves.  When the greens turn into lakes, we call a 2 putt max (I usually shoot better that way).  The worst part is drying out the clubs and bag.  Starts to mildew.

Plus, I have a glow in the dark ball if needed.  Feels like crap though.

Edited by vangator

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Almost left the course on Sunday ... there were 4 groups on a par 3 ... that is too much for me ... but I hung in there and things opened up a little bit afterwards ... it was still slow!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Only quit once. It was the first hole on a beautiful day in January with temperature at a record 60 degrees for Chicago, Wife called. I had an important meeting that could not be missed.

We went downtown to the lakefront, walked on the beach and had pizza at one of our old favorite joints.

Twice, I have quit swinging late in the round  because of back spasms, but I stay with the group. Smart enough now to stay home if hurt.

It's easier to list the ones I haven't stopped for which would only be:

Tired/Fatigue
Cart Breaks Down or Other Equipment Issue

The reason I stopped for 'Something Else - Please Describe' was after years of frustration I finally had a good front nine. Good enough that I was satisfied enough to call it a day and go home happy for once in a very long time.

• 3 weeks later...

Only time I have quit in the one year I have played was when the marshal told us it was too dark and we had to leave.  I had just teed off and did not see where my ball went so it made sense to leave.  We got stuck behind a slow group that had been drinking and were taking a long time.  One of the guys fell out of the cart so it didn't look like we were going to finish several holes back.  

Driver: Nike SasQuatch 460 Tour Graphite
Irons: Titleist CB 712 Dynamic Gold
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX Black Pearl Steel Wedge 50° and 54°, Cleveland 588 RTG 60°
Putter: Nike Method Matter M4-12

Injury or lightning. Most other things I do my best to go with the flow. If I'm having a poor round my scores already shot to heck so I look at it as practice and try some new moves or corrections

I always thought the staff stayed late anyway, but I will cut the round short to get the cart in at dusk or a hair earlier. Injury would bring me in early too.

Kevin

3 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I always thought the staff stayed late anyway, but I will cut the round short to get the cart in at dusk or a hair earlier. Injury would bring me in early too.

Depends on the course conditions. They leave at dusk, or slightly before, if nobody is on the course. If someone is on the course they will wait for the person to return. Either way, they're usually not salaried and they don't end up doing much during this time so it tends to not really matter (they just get paid to watch TV in the clubhouse for this time essentially).

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

Depends on the course conditions. They leave at dusk, or slightly before, if nobody is on the course. If someone is on the course they will wait for the person to return. Either way, they're usually not salaried and they don't end up doing much during this time so it tends to not really matter (they just get paid to watch TV in the clubhouse for this time essentially).

Yeah, but as one guy told me his wife had dinner waiting for him to respect that.

Kevin

Lightning, way to close sent my bro and I running back to the club house, and a few weeks ago, my wife texted me her Dad just passed away. A great guy, a blessing to my life, I was done for the day and headed to the hospital. 

Aloha, life is a gift.

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Storms have made me wait it out and race back to the clubhouse.  At my home club no need to get a raincheck of course. Anywhere else, I will ask for it. I will not play 18 behind slow groups where there is no chance of moving through.  I will quit at 9 and try again another day.  No injuries have stopped me so far. Touch wood, after 41 years. Lightning was frightening when we wore metal spikes. But  the old advice of moving away from your cart, stay out of the trees, and remove your shoes, sit low to the ground and think of Bill Murray and the Bishop in Caddyshack

Some kind of event/meeting would be the only possible option, unless slow play means it gets dark and we get called in (which happened on 18 once). My cousin has quit in anger a few times, once with me. He was having a really bad time, kind of lightly flipped his wedge up to grab it, he hit himself in the face, and he was just done for the day. Personally, I can't recall getting that angry.

I've had a cart break down on the course, and they drove us out a new one. That wouldn't stop me. Slow play's just a possible matter of life, so I wouldn't waste my money just because I have to wait a bit longer, frustrating though it can be. The others just seem very low-end issues to maybe annoy, but not ever drive me from the course. I mean, I just played Saturday with snow in a few bunkers, and I've played with bunkers 100% full of water, so course conditions won't get me out of there, either.

The only time I remember quitting was for bad weather, a miserable cold windy rain.  Otherwise, I'm hanging out with my friends, relaxing, not working, why would I want to stop doing that?  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I would definitely quit a round early if I came down with diarrhea - you can count on it.

Couple of reasons for stopping early: in winter, if the ground is so sodden that the clubhead is continually digging in and spraying you with mud, I'll stop. Also in summer, if my wife and I try to get a few holes in before it gets dark, and I can only guess where my ball lands by following the direction it set off in, it's no fun any more! Otherwise, we play with winter greens and tees a lot here in Europe: I generally won't bother putting out, but simply regard playing as a chance to practice my swing. I guess in places like Florida (or Thailand, where my wife comes from), you don't really have to worry about conditions like that!

I voted something else.

Before retirement, I never quit unless things got too dark to play.  After I retired, I don't feel the need to finish when I am playing 4 - 5 times a week.  Playing 18 holes everyday wears me down mentally & physically.   I also don't want to get burned out from playing all the time.  Playing 15 holes, plus or minus 1 - 2 holes, seems to be just right.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

7 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

I voted something else.

After I retired, I don't feel the need to finish when I am playing 4 - 5 times a week.  Playing 18 holes everyday wears me down mentally & physically.   I also don't want to get burned out from playing all the time.  Playing 15 holes, plus or minus 1 - 2 holes, seems to be just right.

My sentiments exactly

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!