IGNORED

Chamblee: "When I see the things Rory's doing in the gym, I think of Tiger Woods"

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I don't know why he's getting a bad rap from whomever for working out. The guy drives it so long and accurately. Whatever he's doing, he's doing something right.

and he has been by doctors that lifting will help him with a degenerative back condition.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Rory has his say:

Q. Along the lines of your fitness program, without getting into the actual specifics, what are the goals? What are you trying to work on?

RORY McILROY: Stay injury-free. That's really it. Obviously I'm trying to be strong but the whole reason I started this is because I was injured. Okay, I was injured last year but for a completely different reason.

You know, touch-wood, I've been fine since. I had a degenerative disk in my back that sort of stayed the same. It has not got any worse, for example. It's always been there. It's always been a disc that isn't quite as hydrated as the rest of them, but that's the golf swing.

You think of the golf swing and the torque and the load that you're putting on your spine. The spine does two things: It flexes and it rotates. And it doesn't like to flex and rotate at the same time, which is what a golf swing does. So if anything, the golf swing is way worse for your back than anything I do in the gym.

CHRIS REIMER: Do any squats today?

RORY McILROY: Not yet. I'm planning to, though. Maybe with Brandel on my back. (Laughter)

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2016/2/17/rory-maybe-i-can-do-squats-with-brandel-on-my-back.html

Let's go to the video tape:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/chamblee-mcilroy-workouts-cause-me-some-concern/

Imho, Chamblee tiptoed around his comments about McIlroy. McIlroy's body hasn't gone through a massive, super transformative change, he's filled out, not hulked out. And arguing about the "restrictive", modern swing is off topic w/respect to weight lifting. Plus comparing to Snead, Player - I would say players of today play more than they did than Snead or Player, although Player was a world traveller, so more wear and tear on body. As for Federer vs Nadal's body type, I would say McIlroy is more Federer than Nadal. Not convinced, Chamblee.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

48 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Rory has his say:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2016/2/17/rory-maybe-i-can-do-squats-with-brandel-on-my-back.html

Let's go to the video tape:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/chamblee-mcilroy-workouts-cause-me-some-concern/

Imho, Chamblee tiptoed around his comments about McIlroy. McIlroy's body hasn't gone through a massive, super transformative change, he's filled out, not hulked out. And arguing about the "restrictive", modern swing is off topic w/respect to weight lifting. Plus comparing to Snead, Player - I would say players of today play more than they did than Snead or Player, although Player was a world traveller, so more wear and tear on body. As for Federer vs Nadal's body type, I would say McIlroy is more Federer than Nadal. Not convinced, Chamblee.

"Maybe with Brandel on my back."  :dance::banana:

Rory's body transformation is similar to Tiger's.  Tiger came out at age 21 looking skinny as a rail.  Three years later he had packed on some muscle and toned his frame.  Rory came out a little earlier, and rather than being super skinny had a little adolescent chubbiness (kinda like Jack did when he first turned pro).  Both, however, benefitted from natural changes as the body matures into full adulthood, exacerbated by very focused training and nutrition. 

Brandel is obviously a troll, and him now trying to "Tiger" Rory's fitness regimen is clear proof of that.  What, is Rory the only dude who works out?  Look at Jordan.  He came on tour at 19, and now is starting to show signs of muscularity at 22.  Give him two more years and Chamble will either accuse him of roiding or write his obituary.

Best line of Rory's response though is that about the spine flexing and rotating.  Rory obviously is thinking about stress and injury.  Good for him.

I will, however, endorse Yoga as a great golf training tool, particularly as you get older.  Yoga is the best pre-round warm-up you can do, IMO.  It's also an excellent way to retain strength through a range of motion when you can't train due to injury.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

40 minutes ago, k-troop said:

"Maybe with Brandel on my back."  :dance::banana:

Rory's body transformation is similar to Tiger's.  Tiger came out at age 21 looking skinny as a rail.  Three years later he had packed on some muscle and toned his frame.  Rory came out a little earlier, and rather than being super skinny had a little adolescent chubbiness (kinda like Jack did when he first turned pro).  Both, however, benefitted from natural changes as the body matures into full adulthood, exacerbated by very focused training and nutrition. 

Brandel is obviously a troll, and him now trying to "Tiger" Rory's fitness regimen is clear proof of that.  What, is Rory the only dude who works out?  Look at Jordan.  He came on tour at 19, and now is starting to show signs of muscularity at 22.  Give him two more years and Chamble will either accuse him of roiding or write his obituary.

Best line of Rory's response though is that about the spine flexing and rotating.  Rory obviously is thinking about stress and injury.  Good for him.

I will, however, endorse Yoga as a great golf training tool, particularly as you get older.  Yoga is the best pre-round warm-up you can do, IMO.  It's also an excellent way to retain strength through a range of motion when you can't train due to injury.

the only thing Brandel works out is his hair!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Here's a photo of a PGA Tour player, who spends time in the weight room and a football player. See the difference, Chamblee?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Golf Digest's fitness editor, Ron Kaspriske on McIlroy, his back, weightlifting, Chamblee.

Steve

McIlroy posts core work. To counter Chamblee, should post mobility work. What's he doing in terms of flexibility? Hey, at least he's not flying balls out the window. :-P

• Upvote 2

Steve

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Chamblee is an asshat. 

Bit of an understatement. I'd say Chamblee is more of an ass-tracksuit. 

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I believe Rory said that the main benefit he is trying to get from the workout regime injury prevention. Makes total sense to me. I think Chamblee just tries to be controversial to get attention.  

• Upvote 1

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Chamblee is also forgetting or leaving out all the workouts Tiger did with the Navy SEALS and the stories of him being injured while working out with them.   If Rory loses distance in the next few years then Chamblee may have a basis for being concerned about his workouts but until then I'd say Rory is fine.  

Joe Paradiso

11 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Bit of an understatement. I'd say Chamblee is more of an ass-tracksuit. 

Let's go all out. Ass-tuxedo.

• Upvote 3

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
8 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Chamblee is also forgetting or leaving out all the workouts Tiger did with the Navy SEALS and the stories of him being injured while working out with them.   If Rory loses distance in the next few years then Chamblee may have a basis for being concerned about his workouts but until then I'd say Rory is fine.  

Not for nothing (or much of anything, either): I have it from a European Tour pro who has played with Rory recently that "he's not as long as you'd think."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not for nothing (or much of anything, either): I have it from a European Tour pro who has played with Rory recently that "he's not as long as you'd think."

Hes #8 in Drivingbdistamce

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Hes #8 in Drivingbdistamce

Yes, and…? He wasn't as long as the guy thought he would be.

The guy who is in 60th is less than 20 yards behind him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Floyd Mayweather / Justin Thomas. Mayweather is listed as ~150lbs. Don't think we're going to have to worry about golfers in general hulking out.

Steve

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Well, there are currently only 7 dudes that are longer off the tee (going by averages) on the PGA Tour and the longest of them, Gary Woodland, is only averaging 8 yards longer. So, I dunno, maybe the dude's expectations were a little unrealistic. His saying that, "he's not as long as you'd think" speaks more to that unrealistic expectation than it does to Rory's length IMO. Kinda like when someone keeps telling you that, on your next road trip, you're going to see the BIGGEST ball of yarn in the world. Then when you see it, you think, "I thought it be bigger", but it's still one helluva big ball of yarn.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Tiger was averaging 20-30 yards more than the #2 guy in his younger days.  One of the PGA Tour radio guys mentioned in his first or second Masters Tiger averaged around 326 off the tee and Phil was 2nd at 306.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!