IGNORED

Apple v. FBI

iacas
Note: This thread is 2920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Yukari said:

They just keep trying to pick away our rights to privacy in the name of fighting terrorism.  Look around you.  You have all these CCTV's everywhere.  ATM, traffic lights, street corners, etc.  Big Brother is watching everyone.  They now wants access to our private phones too.

Spoiler

ATM's are for bank security. They've been there for decades. That isn't anything new. I know this because my Dad worked for Diebold. They made safes and ATM's for banks. 

Traffic Light light cameras associated with detecting vehicles do not store video footage. Primarily because most municipalities do not have the storage space to store the data and also because they don't want to have to deal with all the requests for public data. If we stored video footage like that we would be pestered routinely by lawyers. These cameras work by taking a still image of the roadway with out vehicles on it. Then they actively compare the continual video feed versus this image. If there is a vehicle they send a signal to the traffic controler. No video is recorded. 

Cameras are not everywhere. Actually in Europe there are more cameras in the public area than in the US. We only have a handful of PTZ cameras in dayton. They are used by the police to help monitor during sporting events near the University of Dayton. 

Still, those cameras are in the PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY.  They are not an invasion of privacy because it's the public right of way. Being that this is off-topic please do not start a discussion on the general philosophy on what constitutes invasion of privacy. 

Wanting to get access into your phone is a major invasion of privacy. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FBI told SB county to reset password.

Spoiler

You'd think they'd turn off the "Sent from my iPhone" in e-mail. That's the first thing I did when starting to use the e-mail app.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2716811-Statement-from-the-FBI-Feb-20-2016.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

50 minutes ago, turtleback said:

And now the Donald weighs in.  Anyone want to bet whether he even understands the issue?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/collision-of-elephants--trump-v--apple-212259781.html

And this is why Trump scares conservatives.  He makes knee jerk reactions to things he doesn't really understand and in most cases his viewpoint isn't consistent with the people he's trying to represent.  

Joe Paradiso

So basically Trump who argued against government's invasion of privacy but is now arguing that Apple give FBI a tool to invade privacy?

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

The Justice Department is pursuing court orders to force Apple Inc. to help investigators extract data from iPhones in about a dozen undisclosed cases around the country, in disputes similar to the current battle over a terrorist’s locked phone, according to people familiar with the matter.

http://www.wsj.com/article_email/justice-department-seeks-to-force-apple-to-extract-data-from-about-12-other-iphones-1456202213-lMyQjAxMTI2MjIzMzMyMTMwWj

As the standoff between the Department of Justice and Apple Inc. continues over an iPhone used by one of the suspects in the San Bernardino terrorist attacks, 51% say Apple should unlock the iPhone to assist the ongoing FBI investigation. Fewer Americans (38%) say Apple should not unlock the phone to ensure the security of its other users’ information; 11% do not offer an opinion on the question.

http://www.people-press.org/2016/02/22/more-support-for-justice-department-than-for-apple-in-dispute-over-unlocking-iphone/

Bill Gates backs FBI iPhone hack request

“This is a specific case where the government is asking for access to information. They are not asking for some general thing, they are asking for a particular case,” Mr Gates told the Financial Times.

“It is no different than [the question of] should anybody ever have been able to tell the phone company to get information, should anybody be able to get at bank records. Let’s say the bank had tied a ribbon round the disk drive and said, ‘Don’t make me cut this ribbon because you’ll make me cut it many times’.”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/3559f46e-d9c5-11e5-98fd-06d75973fe09.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/companies_technology/feed//product#axzz40uwJLLnR

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Gates has been quick to sell out to the FBI or government, I guess he owes some favors given all the anti-trust lawsuits they were hit with in earlier years.  

The would have been the Justice Dept, not the FBI.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The would have been the Justice Dept, not the FBI.

I realize that but they are all under one umbrella.  Gates talks about the importance of privacy but he's the first to give it up when pressured.   

Joe Paradiso

29 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I realize that but they are all under one umbrella.  Gates talks about the importance of privacy but he's the first to give it up when pressured.   

Maybe he got to sell the largest employer in the US many, many licenses of Windows in exchange for his cooperation. ;-)

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Your, privacy, not his own.

And now we see that this case was the test case where they could scare people that it was a "terrorism" case, while what they really want is access to other phones that really have nothing to do with terrorism.  Never waste a scaremongering opportunity, I guess.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

25 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Your, privacy, not his own.

And now we see that this case was the test case where they could scare people that it was a "terrorism" case, while what they really want is access to other phones that really have nothing to do with terrorism.  Never waste a scaremongering opportunity, I guess.

Nope, look at how much of our privacy was compromised by the formation of Homeland Security and the Patriot Act after 9-11.  The Government on both sides just continues to chip away at our privacy under the guise of protecting us from terrorism.  

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

Nope, look at how much of our privacy was compromised by the formation of Homeland Security and the Patriot Act after 9-11.  The Government on both sides just continues to chip away at our privacy under the guise of protecting us from terrorism.  

Yup! 

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding.

Louis D. Brandeis

Scott

My Swing Thread

21 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding.

Louis D. Brandeis

Perfect description of liberalism.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Perfect description of liberalism.

And conservatism. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Here's what I hope happens (I am 100% with Apple on this one):

tumblr_o2raetGnss1qgi9ofo1_1280.jpg.493f

(source: http://dustinteractive.tumblr.com/post/139553430811/apple-decides-to-cooperate-with-fbi)

On the actual topic...I suspect that the FBI has wanted to fight this battle for a long time, but they waited until the SB shooting specifically so that public opinion would be more likely to be on their side.

- John

Note: This thread is 2920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!