IGNORED

AP2 710 Irons

Note: This thread is 1783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

I need a little advice on pricing for these clubs, even though I've searched the PGA resale guide. I have an opportunity to pick up a set locally for $280CAD (approximately $210USD), with brand new MCC Golf Pride grips. It's a 3-PW. I'd say the clubs are in 8/10 condition and look pretty good from the pictures. 

I know these are almost 6-year old clubs but I think it's a very good deal to begin with. I currently am gaming an older set of Ben Hogan Colonials. I actually love them to death but it's really the only set I've known ever since starting to play seriously over the last year. Does anyone know what shafts come stock in the Colonials? It doesn't say anywhere on the shaft and some google searches haven't helped me either. I'd assume regular, but not 100%.

I shoot in the mid 80s consistently and I plan to break 80 and come down to a consistent low 80s this year. Anyone have any advice? Should I look for a newer set of clubs (although I don't think there will be a massive difference with irons within the 5 year range). Is there a big difference between the AP2 710/712/714 line? 

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

A-A-Ron

Edited by Zooz

$210 is a good deal for AP2 710s in good condition.

Regarding the Hogan shafts, Hogan had their own stock "apex" shafts which were labeled 1-5. 1 was ladies flex up to 5 which was X-stiff. I think they play a bit softer than their DG equivalents.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

$210 is a good deal for AP2 710s in good condition.

Regarding the Hogan shafts, Hogan had their own stock "apex" shafts which were labeled 1-5. 1 was ladies flex up to 5 which was X-stiff. I think they play a bit softer than their DG equivalents.

Thanks man! I'll have to take a peek at the number when I'm back home later tonight. The way I see it, the MCC Golf Pride grips are basically $90-100 alone. I'm not that huge of a gear guy yet, but I'm slowly learning. I guess I just need someone to be like "buy it already if that's what you're looking for" :P 

Edited by Zooz

Sounds like a great deal to me.  I'm getting ready to sell my AP-2's but I only have 5I-PW, and mine are first gen AP-2.  I'm just selling locally though - I don't want the hassle of trying to ship them.

Just now, Fourputt said:

Sounds like a great deal to me.  I'm getting ready to sell my AP-2's but I only have 5I-PW, and mine are first gen AP-2.  I'm just selling locally though - I don't want the hassle of trying to ship them.

During my quick research (all of 30 minutes), I was under the impression that AP-2 710 irons were the first gen of AP-2s? I feel like I'm certainly mistaken after reading your post.

19 minutes ago, Zooz said:

So I looked at the set and they are a "uniflex". Any idea idea what that correlates on the 1-5 apex scale? 

Uniflex is closest to regular but what it really means is that it is a cheaper shaft made to save the manufacturer money.

22 minutes ago, Zooz said:

So I looked at the set and they are a "uniflex". Any idea idea what that correlates on the 1-5 apex scale? 

how far do you hit your driver, and how far do you hit your 7 iron?

Also how fast is your swing? 

Edited by freshmanUTA

Hit my driver about 250-255 and my 7 iron about 155-160

To be honest, I don't know my swing speed but my driver is a stiff shaft. I've played baseball my whole life and I think my swing speed warrants a stiff shaft. I've swung a buddy's regular shaft driver and it felt too flimsy. 

4 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Uniflex is closest to regular but what it really means is that it is a cheaper shaft made to save the manufacturer money.

Initially didn't see your reply to my post. Ok nice. So I'm definitely gonna notice a signification difference, good or bad, with the stiff shafts. 

I talked him down another $20 so it's now $260CAD, don't think I can pass it up as I feel it'll be a pretty decent upgrade over my Colonials. I love those things.

3 hours ago, Zooz said:

Initially didn't see your reply to my post. Ok nice. So I'm definitely gonna notice a signification difference, good or bad, with the stiff shafts. 

I talked him down another $20 so it's now $260CAD, don't think I can pass it up as I feel it'll be a pretty decent upgrade over my Colonials. I love those things.

The 710 AP2 is the second generation. The first was called just the AP2.

http://www.titleist.com/previous-models?SearchTerm=&GolfClubType=3&ModelYear=&OrderBy=year

I find E-Bay is a good way to get current market value. I look for the equivalent clubs and find ones that are for auction (not buy it now) and see where they end up. The PGA value guide low balls some clubs value. My quick look at e-bay shows that price is good.

@Zooz, ideally see if you can meet the seller and hit the clubs at a range.  Mostly you will be OK, but you never know if the set-up actually suits you (shaft, head lie).  Overall it is a good deal provided the clubs are in good condition

15 hours ago, Zooz said:

During my quick research (all of 30 minutes), I was under the impression that AP-2 710 irons were the first gen of AP-2s? I feel like I'm certainly mistaken after reading your post.

I bought mine in 2008 or 2009, and the 710 supposedly came out in 2010.  I'm no expert on it either, so I could be wrong too.

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The 710 AP2 is the second generation. The first was called just the AP2.

http://www.titleist.com/previous-models?SearchTerm=&GolfClubType=3&ModelYear=&OrderBy=year

I find E-Bay is a good way to get current market value. I look for the equivalent clubs and find ones that are for auction (not buy it now) and see where they end up. The PGA value guide low balls some clubs value. My quick look at e-bay shows that price is good.

Ya I searched ebay a bit and I came up with the same conclusion as you - it's a decent deal for me. Thanks!

4 hours ago, pganapathy said:

@Zooz, ideally see if you can meet the seller and hit the clubs at a range.  Mostly you will be OK, but you never know if the set-up actually suits you (shaft, head lie).  Overall it is a good deal provided the clubs are in good condition

I actually asked him if I could but he didn't have much time thus weekend to do that and he had another buyer so I had to kind of act quickly.

I wasn't really planning to get a new set this year but if I can try a stiff shaft in a solid club I'm willing to do that for a good price. I always wanted to get fitted for my next iron set, unfortunately won't be able to do that but maybe I can make minor adjustments to them after the fact if necessary. Worst case scenario is I resell them for a small loss or even the same amount after I give them a good go. I'll post pics here tomorrow. Going to pick them up tonight and I'll hit the range tonight as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

A single AP2 iron still retails for $80 so obviously the person is being nice. I was given free irons once I used them for a few years and then returned them to the guy. Dufner uses AP2. 

5 minutes ago, Golfer2223 said:

A single AP2 iron still retails for $80 so obviously the person is being nice. I was given free irons once I used them for a few years and then returned them to the guy. Dufner uses AP2. 

A 710 model? Certainly not.

Oh sorry missed that. Looks like in a 8/10 condition the retail on 710s are average 375us, 712s are 575, and 714s are 700. So according to price there is not much difference between 712s and 714s. I have hit the 712s and they were great, 714s I have been told are an upgrade. Never hit the 710s but I imagine they are older tech and will not go as far as the 712s. 

If it were me I would buy those if the condition really is that good. It comes down to how often this person hits the range. If he is a range rat who hits 300 balls four times a week then no, because the faces will be dead in a year or two. If he is just a regular golfer than yes, because Titleist is a much better club even at the 710 level than a callaway or taylormade. APs are one of the most versatile irons, they are good for single digit to double digit handicappers. Perfect for your level. Just take a good look at the face and make sure there's no huge gashes in the bottom grooves or clear face wear. Scratches on the head are irrelevant and merely cosmetic. 

Note: This thread is 1783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!