Jump to content
IGNORED

What Do You Do - Chance to Beat Your All Time Birdie Streak


Note: This thread is 1790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Birdie Streaks  

20 members have voted

  1. 1. Can a birdie streak span more than 18 holes?

    • Yes - same day, same golf session - you are good to go.
      9
    • No -all "streaks" most be contained within 18 holes.
      11


Recommended Posts

I was going to ask this several months ago but it slipped my mind.  My "modern"* birdie streak stands at 3.  I think I have done it twice.

In October, 2015, I started on hole #10, the hardest hole on my home course.  I played well and eventually worked my way around to #7.  Birdie.  Then #8. Birdie. I hit a nice tee shot on #9 and proceeded to put my approach on the green, maybe 12 feet away.  As I walked to the green, I pondered the "what if". What if I make this putt for my 3rd birdie in a row?  Do I trudge over to #10 (hardest hole) and try to make 4 in a row?  Should I go to #1, a par 5 and a much better candidate for a birdie?  Will the streak be "tainted" by playing more than 18 holes?  Does anyone other than me really care (no). 

Well, long story longer, I missed the putt so I never had to make a decision.  Still, if it ever happens again, would playing 27 taint the streak?

 

 

I call it "modern" because once, before I could even break 45 for nine, I went eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie.  It was such a fluke and I doubt beat "45" for the nine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

 Does anyone other than me really care (no). 

There you go, count it any way you want.  If its me, I'd say you should play the holes in the right order (go from 9 to 10), and in the same day.  Finishing with 3 in a row on Saturday, and starting with 2 on Sunday, in my mind that wouldn't count as 5 in a row, even though logically it IS 5 in a row.  I have no logical defense of that position, just my unsupported personal opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I .went wih no, they have to be in same 18 holes. No particular reason other than the second round is a new starting point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I suppose both could be considered when playing for fun. I wouldn't have a problem telling the story of how I made X birdies throughout a day of golf. A day of good golf is what it is. I'd be most happy how it affects my scoring stats. I can't log on to Game Golf for some reason but in 82 rounds I think just 3% birdie average. I'll take 'em any way I can't 'em.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A win streak in any other sport carries over from season to season so why should golf be any different?  If it bothers you put an asterisk next to it ;). But I'd agree they should be consecutive holes in order or you'd need another asterisk and that can get messy and ruin a story.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

golf is special that way...win streaks and birdie streaks aren't comparable.............  that's why PGA tour birdie streak records are recorded they way they are. (for 18 holes)

 

Kansas Huh?   enjoying the warm weather this weekend???  I played golf today and it was 70!!  LOVIN' IT!!   hahaha...I will play tomorrow too FOR SURE!!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

There you go, count it any way you want.  If its me, I'd say you should play the holes in the right order (go from 9 to 10), and in the same day.  Finishing with 3 in a row on Saturday, and starting with 2 on Sunday, in my mind that wouldn't count as 5 in a row, even though logically it IS 5 in a row.  I have no logical defense of that position, just my unsupported personal opinion.

 

4 hours ago, Patch said:

I .went wih no, they have to be in same 18 holes. No particular reason other than the second round is a new starting point. 

I agree with both of these guys.  It wouldn't matter to me how anybody else did this, but I'd only consider these type of things within the course of the same round.  The exception being just personal milestone things like "I've played 68 holes in a row without a 3-putt!" or something along those lines.

I've never paid attention to a birdie streak before, and if it wasn't for the fact that I don't ever really have those, I wouldn't even be able to tell you what mine was.  But since it was only recently that I've ever made more than 3 in a single round, it's a safe bet I never had more than two in a row anyway.:beer:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

41 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

 

I agree with both of these guys.  It wouldn't matter to me how anybody else did this, but I'd only consider these type of things within the course of the same round.  The exception being just personal milestone things like "I've played 68 holes in a row without a 3-putt!" or something along those lines.

I've never paid attention to a birdie streak before, and if it wasn't for the fact that I don't ever really have those, I wouldn't even be able to tell you what mine was.  But since it was only recently that I've ever made more than 3 in a single round, it's a safe bet I never had more than two in a row anyway.:beer:

I had 3 consecutive rounds in high 70s last week.. I was hoping for 4 but I decided to go play in 40-50 mph wind and shot a 92. So much for that 70s streak. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

There you go, count it any way you want.  If its me, I'd say you should play the holes in the right order (go from 9 to 10), and in the same day.  Finishing with 3 in a row on Saturday, and starting with 2 on Sunday, in my mind that wouldn't count as 5 in a row, even though logically it IS 5 in a row.  I have no logical defense of that position, just my unsupported personal opinion.

There is some logic. If you play all the super easy holes in a row I would think you could stack the odds in your favor?

2 birdies in a row. Holes 5 and 6 of my shorter home course. Par 3 175 yards- 7i on a hot summer day to 20 feet, made the putt. Par 4 361 yards- Drive 275-ish, LW to within 8 feet uphill putt which I made. Did not have GG at the time. Now, I wish I did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My wife and I were golfing one day as a two-some. I made bird on the first two holes and were on our way to the third hole. As we drove to the next tee we saw two groups on the tee, a group in the fairway and a group on the green. I said to her "let's grab some lunch an play later.

So, we go grab lunch and headed back out. We join another couple and played. I birdie the first and second hole again.

On the third tee I said to my friend  "I'm four under for the day"

He gave me one of those looks and I explained how we played 1 & 2 earlier.

It was a good laugh. It was a good streak while it lasted.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just put a little asterisk after the number, and you're covered legally.:beer: Asterisks always make for good stories.

(Actually, I voted no- gotta be same round for me). But @Ernest Jones's logic above is bulletproof.

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

My wife and I were golfing one day as a two-some. I made bird on the first two holes and were on our way to the third hole. As we drove to the next tee we saw two groups on the tee, a group in the fairway and a group on the green. I said to her "let's grab some lunch an play later.

So, we go grab lunch and headed back out. We join another couple and played. I birdie the first and second hole again.

On the third tee I said to my friend  "I'm four under for the day"

He gave me one of those looks and I explained how we played 1 & 2 earlier.

It was a good laugh. It was a good streak while it lasted.....

A 4-birdie streak!*

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, LagShaft said:

A win streak in any other sport carries over from season to season so why should golf be any different?  If it bothers you put an asterisk next to it ;). But I'd agree they should be consecutive holes in order or you'd need another asterisk and that can get messy and ruin a story.

A birdie streak would be more comparable to something like consecutive 3-point shots made, not a season long winning streak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you play long enough, all kinds of things can happen in Golf.  Heck, eventually on your home course you end up eagling or birding every single hole. 

My record is 2 birdies in a row and the second was a fluke that slammed into the cup - it should have been 10 yards behind the back of the green. 

Never mind getting 3 consecutive birdies, apparently Mark Calcavecchia recorded 8 consecutive birdies during his 2009 Canadian Open round. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
9 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

I see it as two different things.  

1. Consecutive Birdie streak

2. Most birdies in a single round

This is how I see them as well, so I said yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Spring Training baseball games down your way in about 30 days!  It's coming... I tell ya, it's coming!
    • Baseball games today for my youngest. I had to wear a light jacket. 
    • Oldie but goodie: Douglas Avery(@douglasavery7) on TikTok: #hatemenow #douguwild #ypy #tigerwoodschallenge #hatemenow #douguwild #ypy #tigerwoodschallenge  
    • I have a 15 week puppy and was playing tug-a-war with a rope dog toy, he lunged and chomped for a new grip and caught my finger.  He still has those sharp pointy little puppy teeth.  The cut is a pretty sensitive spot as far as holding a golf club, I don't want to reopen it.  Too small for stitches I would think... I imagine an professional athlete (basketball, golf, football) would get it stitched and play on. Here's a pic from yesterday morning (we hit 80 degrees later in the day, San Diego coastal).  
    • 1/17/21 - PP: straighter right elbow           Secondary thought: initiate DS with Left hip I definitely FELT my left hip engage earlier, but not sure the picture changed much.    Impact position from yesterday:   impact position from today:   hard to tell with the safety screen and baggy sweats
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 68begin
      68begin
      (73 years old)
    2. adam3553
      adam3553
      (35 years old)
    3. alezaiii
      alezaiii
      (39 years old)
    4. cmoneygo
      cmoneygo
      (38 years old)
    5. El Mucho
      El Mucho
      (37 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...