Sign in to follow this  
Patch

Hit The Ball Alice.

Note: This thread is 1561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you ever been an Alice?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been an Alice?

• Yes
    • No

21 posts / 2474 viewsLast Reply

Simple question. Have you ever been an "Alice" ?

I know Ihave, and Alice sucks. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Patch said:

Simple question. Have you ever been an "Alice" ?

I know Ihave, and Alice sucks. 

Nope. Alice Cooper is much better at golf than I am.

I've been an Alice way too often on way too many putts that have rolled up short

Hope I never do either. I'll catch a ton of crap from all my buddy's I've called "Alice" over the years.

But, being I'm a Senior now, if I did would I be an "Aleshia" ???

Every now and then I'll leave something ridiculously short, but usually not. 

When someone in my group hits something that I know is going to be WAY short, I yell FORE!!! as loud as I can. It's funny every time...I assure you. 

:-P

32 minutes ago, The Slapper said:

Not certain what an "Alice," is????

Hits like Alice - a girl.   It's a cliche.   

We owed a pitcher of beer if our drive did not pass the most forward tees. I bought one or two.

aloha,

iSank

Since I was a young man, there has been an unwritten rule that if you don't hit it beyond the ladies tees, which was no more than 20 yards ahead, you had to pull out your knob/dick/penis.

Listen Patch, the full-on -embarrassing scrub shot is something I've come accustomed to during my entire 33 golf career. 

I call it the chunk shot, the worm burner, the full-on scrubber. 

Golf is weird in the sense that even a close to perfect golfer will recall such a shot as described here...

Edited by The Slapper

6 hours ago, The Slapper said:

Since I was a young man, there has been an unwritten rule that if you don't hit it beyond the ladies tees, which was no more than 20 yards ahead, you had to pull out your knob/dick/penis.

Listen Patch, the full-on -embarrassing scrub shot is something I've come accustomed to during my entire 33 golf career. 

I call it the chunk shot, the worm burner, the full-on scrubber. 

Golf is weird in the sense that even a close to perfect golfer will recall such a shot as described here...

We had this rule in our golf league when I first started in the 70's.  And it was all ladies tees.  Had to play the rest of the hole with your d%&k out.  It was called the "d%&k out" rule.  Never had to do it, but I saw more than I care to.  Found out a few weren't circumcised.  We had no worries about any "sexual predator" changes or anything since the Chief of Police was a member of our league.

I think everyone has been called an Alice.  Or "Did your putter get caught in your skirt?"

Not exactly on topic but still putter related, I remember in league a few years ago I had about a 15 foot putt on a really undulating green.  The line I read was about a 3-4 foot break to the left, but it was right along a ridge.  When I hit the putt, it just barely caught the other side of the ridge and it took the ball about 6 feet to the right.  So, on a 15 foot putt, I missed the hole wide by almost 10 feet!  The guy I was playing with said, "What kept that out!"  I was busting out laughing.  He was busting laughing.  After I finished off my 3 putt, I went back to the original spot and tightened up my line just a little and showed them the putt broke the way I thought it would.  In fact broke more than I thought.  I still laugh when I think of that putt.

9 minutes ago, vangator said:

We had this rule in our golf league when I first started in the 70's.  And it was all ladies tees.  Had to play the rest of the hole with your d%&k out.  It was called the "d%&k out" rule.  Never had to do it, but I saw more than I care to.  Found out a few weren't circumcised.  We had no worries about any "sexual predator" changes or anything since the Chief of Police was a member of our league.

I think everyone has been called an Alice.  Or "Did your putter get caught in your skirt?"

Not exactly on topic but still putter related, I remember in league a few years ago I had about a 15 foot putt on a really undulating green.  The line I read was about a 3-4 foot break to the left, but it was right along a ridge.  When I hit the putt, it just barely caught the other side of the ridge and it took the ball about 6 feet to the right.  So, on a 15 foot putt, I missed the hole wide by almost 10 feet!  The guy I was playing with said, "What kept that out!"  I was busting out laughing.  He was busting laughing.  After I finished off my 3 putt, I went back to the original spot and tightened up my line just a little and showed them the putt broke the way I thought it would.  In fact broke more than I thought.  I still laugh when I think of that putt.

Ha ha. That's hilarious! 

There is usually ends up being an Alice or Nancy in our group. I have taken my turn, lol

14 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Hits like Alice - a girl.   It's a cliche.   

That's not really where it came from. It's from a guy…

It turns out that "Alice" isn't a she at all. "Alice" is a he, and it's not "Alice," it's "Alliss." As in Peter Alliss.

Peter Alliss is the famous English golf broadcaster, the voice of golf on the BBC for decades. But before he became internationally famous as a broadcaster, Alliss was famous in Britain and Europe as a touring pro.

And a pretty good one, too: Alliss won 21 times on the precursor to the European Tour and played on eight Ryder Cup teams.

At the 1963 Ryder Cup in Atlanta, Alliss played Arnold Palmer and Tony Lema in back-to-back singles matches and won 1.5 points, halving with Lema and beating Palmer.

At some point during his match against Palmer, Alliss - for whom putting was not a strength - badly missed a 3-foot putt.

Someone in the gallery yelled out, "Nice putt, Alliss!"

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

So that's where this Alice thing comes from.....REALLY?  Good story I guess.  :content:

I've played and watched golf all my life and this is the first I've ever heard of,  "being an Alice." 

I hit like an Alice... all the time. It goes out in the air about 225 yds. then rolls. And people say I'm not supposed to hit an 8 iron as far as I do. 

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

Apparently not as funny nor sexist as most of us originally thought. . . :-D

Good story, thanks for sharing.

In retrospect, maybe we should change the title to "Hit the ball Alice (AKA: Nice Putt, Alliss)". . .

Note: This thread is 1561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!