IGNORED

Ball back with driver??

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 2982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, stealthhwk said:

Just curious, in theory, what would happen if I played the ball in the middle of my stance with the driver? ( vs forward )

I think if you did that, when you shift your weight forward, you would be hitting down on the ball with the club that has the least elevation of any club in your bag.    So you'd have the choice of either hitting ground balls, or not shifting your weight forward, which would mean a loss of power. 

Edited by Marty2019

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

I think if you did that, when you shift your weight forward, you would be hitting down on the ball with the club that has the least elevation of any club in your bag.    So you'd have the choice of either hitting ground balls, or not shifting your weight forward, which would mean a loss of power. 

Thanks!!! I fight the worm burner with the driver already. So, this would probably be the absolute worst idea ever!

29 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

I have always struggled with keeping the ball forward in my stance.

Big pushes, just can't get the face closed quick enough, no weight forward, short drives, worm burners.

Brian   

9 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

Thanks!!! I fight the worm burner with the driver already. So, this would probably be the absolute worst idea ever!

It would tend to get more spin on the ball. Still undesirable, though.

Worm burners could also come from bringing the club too high at impact and thinning your driver.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 minute ago, bste said:

Big pushes, just can't get the face closed quick enough, no weight forward, short drives, worm burners.

Sounds like your downswing might be a little too quick.  When this happens to me, I can usually cure it by starting my downswing more slowly.   This gives me time to start my weight forward.   

10 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

I'm not saying you're supposed to do that.   I'm saying that will be the result of you put the ball back in your stance.   You will have a choice of 2 bad alternatives:  either not shift your weight forward, or hit down on the ball.   Both of those are bad.  

11 minutes ago, bste said:

Could this also be a shaft issue? 

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

9 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

Sounds like your downswing might be a little too quick.  When this happens to me, I can usually cure it by starting my downswing more slowly.   This gives me time to start my weight forward.   

I'm not saying you're supposed to do that.   I'm saying that will be the result of you put the ball back in your stance.   You will have a choice of 2 bad alternatives:  either not shift your weight forward, or hit down on the ball.   Both of those are bad.  

You're right, I'm changing my preshot routine to slow down my back swing, get things set, "in sync" for the downswing.

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Absolutely, I'm using the Kuro Kage S shaft that came stock, haven't been fit for anything stiff in a while.  :whistle:

Brian   

7 minutes ago, bste said:

You're right, I'm changing my preshot routine to slow down my back swing, get things set, "in sync" for the downswing.

Absolutely, I'm using the Kuro Kage S shaft that came stock, haven't been fit for anything stiff in a while.  :whistle:

Guessing a brand new M1? Nice!

The guy in the TM booth mentioned that the Kuro Kage shaft is more stout than most other shafts TM sells. For instance, S might want to see 105 SS or higher? I think X is for people in the 116 range?

It depends on how much of a push you get, I guess? If you hit far enough then it's not so bad, and you would certainly keep it controlled.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

@LihuI don't mean to hijack this thread, but the driver is a covert, so a pre tini shaft, and closing the club face has helped a lot. 

Brian   

3 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Just curious, in theory, what would happen if I played the ball in the middle of my stance with the driver? ( vs forward )

Read LSW, there is a chapter on putting the ball forward and raising the tee height and why. . .

20 minutes ago, bste said:

closing the club face has helped a lot. 

I think moving the ball back in your stance will open the face a little bit? So, maybe the tendency is to close the face at address if your ball is too far back in your stance?

This is a pretty non-optimal condition as you might end up putting a lot more spin on the ball in addition to artificially closing the face?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

35 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I think moving the ball back in your stance will open the face a little bit? So, maybe the tendency is to close the face at address if your ball is too far back in your stance?

This is a pretty non-optimal condition as you might end up putting a lot more spin on the ball in addition to artificially closing the face?

Yea, I've got it written down somewhere, how to reduce spin, about hitting up and something else.

Brian   

If I have a bad day and I need it in the fairway I will put ball in middle of stance. For me I feel I hit down on the ball. Doesn't help that I have a tendency to be too quick, as well as get steep. Distance loss is 30-40 yds but usually stays in fairway for me with more fade. Moving the ball forward and high, while slowing down and shortening my backswing led to hitting much better drives, they are straighter and often they have a slight draw. Putting all thoughts aside and just relaxing has helped. 

• Upvote 1

I just watched a playing partner set his ball back in his stance purely by accident. I noticed that the ball was almost 2 balls back from his lead heel. I watched intently because I was kind of curious what could happen. Well, he crowned the ball the first time during the entire round. Didn't know it would do that. Maybe next time, I should mention something to him?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On 2/20/2016 at 5:57 AM, stealthhwk said:

Hitting down the the driver, produces lower launch and higher spin, loss of significant distance. 

On 2/20/2016 at 8:09 AM, bste said:

That is more the swing than your ball position. 

On 2/20/2016 at 8:22 AM, Lihu said:

Not really. Unless you are going from a shaft designed for a senior to something PGA Tour. Most stock shafts can be played by a high number of players. 

5 minutes ago, ppine said:

Giving people advice is a slippery slope.

That is why the number 1 advice given on this forum is for the person to post a video of their golf swing such that we can see what exactly is going on and giving specific advice. 

This thread doesn't warrant that because moving the ball back in the stance for the driver is highly counterproductive. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just to add. People that hit low drivers, i.e. worm burners I see do 2 things, they tend to stand up at impact, which causes them to move forward causing them to hit down and usually the club face is before the bottom of the arc, and or they try to get their weight forward, to get more power, and the ball winds up way behind their head, and body. Watch any pro, or good player hit driver, notice the relation of their body and head position to the ball, it's always behind the ball, although the hips may slide in front of the ball. When staying behind the ball, you have a better chance to hit Up on it. This is where a video comes in real handy.

Note: This thread is 2982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!